HiFiMan RE-600 Review
Dec 8, 2017 at 4:19 PM Post #886 of 902
they are 100 dollars now, i am very close to buy them, how is the cable, any problems?
Not sure what you feel makes a problem cable…

I can say that it is neither crazy fat nor super thin. Doesn't have horrible microphonic issues but I wear mine over ear. It is neither sticky, stinky nor grabby. Basically its a cable. I've seen better. I've seen much, much worse.

Dec 9, 2017 at 4:30 AM Post #888 of 902
link fr the 100$ price please

Dec 6, 2018 at 1:24 PM Post #891 of 902
Received mine today (the 600S-V2). After some sub-200$ offerings, I finally found a substitute for my old friend, the RE-400's. They just sound... right! Everything I play on them sounds fantastic. They feel massively detailed and transparent but also smooth and easy-going. It's like eating chocolate cake that makes you thinner. Incredible.

In my opinion, they blow the Aurisonics Rockets I had. Those had a boring, undefined bass and meh imaging by comparison. These are so natural sounding but exciting at the same time. I know all this sounds very contradicting but I just can't put it in other words...

The RE400's are still excellent and actually have a somewhat similar sound, but the 600's improve on everything, mainly the much meatier bass and much more impressive soundstage. The detail retrieval is also a lot better. The sound is ever so slightly warmer on the 600's, I feel. But it's not a massive difference.

And this after 1 hour of play. If they get better after burn-in I'll be lost for words.

It's a pity that these IEM's have gone under the radar. They're the bargain of the century at the current price.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2019 at 2:15 PM Post #892 of 902
giphy.gif

v1 @90% off ... had to take chance... and well my heart was beating .... but they work! I didn't want to bite on a v2 until I knew i liked them.

I will not put them in a case, that is for sure...

Definitely better extension (subbass extension in favor of mid bass accentuation though ever so slightly, and tad bit more sparkle) on both ends vs 400, but they basically sound the same except on certain tracks.. like Daft Punk Random Access Memories.

What is up with the box, that $$$ should have gone into the build

Apr 18, 2019 at 9:15 PM Post #893 of 902
giphy.gif

v1 @90% off ... had to take chance... and well my heart was beating .... but they work! I didn't want to bite on a v2 until I knew i liked them.

I will not put them in a case, that is for sure...

Definitely better extension (subbass extension in favor of mid bass accentuation though ever so slightly, and tad bit more sparkle) on both ends vs 400, but they basically sound the same except on certain tracks.. like Daft Punk Random Access Memories.

What is up with the box, that $$$ should have gone into the build

I recently purchased the RE-600s. Before burn-in, I find the RE-600 to be warmer than the RE-400. The RE-400, though no slouch, sounds splashy and unrefined compared to the 600. The RE-600 is like an IEM version of the Martin-Logan ML90 with exquisite mids and quite competent lows and highs, very strong dynamics, excelling with vocals, guitar ( acoustic and electric), and piano.

Aug 1, 2019 at 12:52 PM Post #894 of 902
To this day i still see the 600s as the best value IEM for a neutral sound sig fan especially at $100. They are a great DD compliment to the er4sr being a bit less analytical with more low end presence and soundstage. They're also easier to drive.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2019 at 9:07 AM Post #895 of 902
To this day i still see the 600s as the best value IEM for a neutral sound sig fan especially at $100. They are a great DD compliment to the er4sr being a bit less analytical with more low end presence and soundstage. They're also easier to drive.

Recently I bought an er4p-s adapter (75ohm adapter. I now use it with the re600 and find that it makes them perfect for me. The er4sr are still preferred for classical music, but now with this adapter I find the re600 to compliment some recordings more. Before I found them too soft, and not airy enough, with a good quantity of bass but undefined/slow. With the 75 ohm adapter the bass is quicker and treble feels airier. Everything is a bit quicker and a tiny bit brighter but it still feels like the re-600 sound sig. To be even more subjective, they don’t sound “boring” anymore to me, the 75 ohm adapter did exactly what I wanted to them.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2019 at 9:12 AM Post #896 of 902
I’ve recently bought

Recently I bought an er4p-s adapter (75ohm adapter. I now use it with the re600 and find that it makes them perfect for me. The er4sr are still preferred for classical music, but now with this adapter I find the re600 to compliment some recordings more. Before I found them too soft, and not airy enough, with a good quantity of bass but undefined/slow. With the 75 ohm adapter the bass is quicker and treble feels airier. Everything is a bit quicker and a tiny bit brighter but it still feels like the re-600 sound sig. To be even more subjective, they don’t sound “boring” anymore to me, the 75 ohm adapter did exactly what I wanted to them.
I wonder why a dynamic driver would react to a resistor? Dynamic drivers are effectively flat impedance responsed across the audible spectrum. ER4P is different being a BA driver, it's impedance response varies significantly across the spectrum, and in a particular way that a specific resistor value in the circuit will change it's frequency response.

I find the biggest improvement you can gain from a dynamic driver is to drive them out of a strong source as they are usually much less efficient than BA based drivers. They can sound very good even out of a computer headphone out due to it's flat impedance response.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2019 at 9:17 AM Post #897 of 902
I wonder why a dynamic driver would react to a resistor? Dynamic drivers are effectively flat impedance responsed across the audible spectrum. ER4P is different being a BA driver, it's impedance response varies significantly across the spectrum, and in a particular way that a specific resistor value in the circuit will change it's frequency response.

I find the biggest improvement you can gain from a dynamic driver is to drive them out of a strong source as they are usually much less efficient than BA based drivers. They can sound very good even out of a computer headphone out due to it's flat impedance response.

Purely subjective differences noticed. They do sound noticeably different for me though, in the ways I described. This could have to do with the source being louder to compensate for the resistor. Even though it’s a chord mojo, I wonder if it should influence the sounds in different volumes being digitally controlled.

Aug 4, 2019 at 9:22 AM Post #898 of 902
Purely subjective differences noticed. They do sound noticeably different for me though, in the ways I described. This could have to do with the source being louder to compensate for the resistor. Even though it’s a chord mojo, I wonder if it should influence the sounds in different volumes being digitally controlled.
I don't think that makes as much of a difference as strong amping. I use a stock AKG Samsung iem that came with the Galaxy phones, and drove it out of a desktop on-board Realtek sound output, and it sounded very good due to the strong drive, and I was changing the digital volume as there was no analog volume control. With dynamic drivers, do not worry about using a DAP or Mojo, or what else is out there, try it out on all kinds of stuff. An onboard sound card can drive them better than a battery power DAP.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2019 at 2:27 PM Post #899 of 902

I agree. I also have a etymotic impedance adapter and i generally avoid it with other iems due to possible frequency changes (especially with multi BA ones) and general clunkiness. When i had my er4p i just asked ety to change the cable to an er4s version as i found the adapter to be too cumbersome.

It is a solution to kicking my LG v30 into high impedance mode tho.

Aug 4, 2019 at 2:36 PM Post #900 of 902

Im the same way. For absolute clarity and accuracy i use my er4sr especially with articulate/Good dynamic range songs. The re600s are great with harder hitting music as its bass is more pronounced putting more emphasis on overall rhythm.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back