HiFiMan RE-600 Review
Mar 14, 2016 at 6:50 PM Post #781 of 902
  I am still searching for something that is in this price range that is better built and has the same or better sound signature that is not harsh nor recessed at any frequency range. I am still looking.
confused_face.gif

Best bet is the Etymotic HF5 or ER4. They're ruler-flat, super-extended, and not harsh or recessed at any range. You might find out you don't like that, but you should at least give it a shot. You can probably get an HF series IEM from Etymotic for around $75 used here on the forum or eBay etc.

Mar 14, 2016 at 7:00 PM Post #782 of 902

Best bet is the Etymotic HF5 or ER4. They're ruler-flat, super-extended, and not harsh or recessed at any range. You might find out you don't like that, but you should at least give it a shot. You can probably get an HF series IEM from Etymotic for around $75 used here on the forum or eBay etc.

Ok thank you. Is there a version that has no mic?

Mar 15, 2016 at 2:27 PM Post #784 of 902
  ^
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/etymotic-research-hf5-portable-in-ear-monitors

Ok thank you. I've read this review on here about them is this true? If yes then I rather pass.

"TREBLE: these iems are tuned to provide as accurate a sound as possible, so the treble isn't particularly shrill, but it does have a slight edge to it that some listeners will find fatiguing during extended listening periods. to me however, its that edge which gives the music even more character, like when listening to overdriven electric guitars, or violin solos, there is an added layer of shine that makes the treble that much more bright. however, if you have any tracks that have shrill highs, these will also be replicated with precision that might leave you with ringing ears, as i had after listening to a few arias. nonetheless, the treble on these are refreshing open and yet controlled at the same time, making them suited for most music types."

And this right off their website as a review:

"Treble: sparkly and very controlled. hf5 has excellent treble detail. sometimes it causes fatigue, and can sound a little sibilant. but this only happens during very prolonged listening."

Mar 19, 2016 at 5:54 PM Post #785 of 902
Is there anyone who used Re-600/Re-600s for 2 or more years without having any issues? Whenever I read, these headphones fail before the first year or so. I wonder is that a QA issue or these headphones are simply guaranteed to fail? Thanks.

Mar 21, 2016 at 12:55 AM Post #787 of 902
I managed to get about 8 months use out of mine. Used them maybe 3 times a week for about an hour each day. Really babied them after reading about cable failures but mine started to develop an intermittent loss of sound to one channel which I eventually traced to a fault at the jack. Really pissed about this as I ranked them up there, even compared to my other phones. I have toyed with getting them repaired as I cant make up my mind what to replace them with.
Such a shame and really put me off getting any other Hifi Man products. 

Mar 21, 2016 at 3:57 PM Post #788 of 902
  I managed to get about 8 months use out of mine. Used them maybe 3 times a week for about an hour each day. Really babied them after reading about cable failures but mine started to develop an intermittent loss of sound to one channel which I eventually traced to a fault at the jack. Really pissed about this as I ranked them up there, even compared to my other phones. I have toyed with getting them repaired as I cant make up my mind what to replace them with.

Same here! I am looking for something equivalent. I was told Etymotic HF5 is similar. I have not see a comparison or someone say they are better so I am still researching.

Mar 21, 2016 at 4:04 PM Post #789 of 902
  Same here! I am looking for something equivalent. I was told Etymotic HF5 is similar. I have not see a comparison or someone say they are better so I am still researching.

Etymotic HF5 is not really similar to the RE-600. The RE-600 has much more bass presence and a more natural/organic midrange, and a much, much larger sound stage. Etymotic HF5 is highly detailed, "clinical", narrow sound stage with very good instrument separation and lower levels of bass and treble.

Mar 21, 2016 at 5:04 PM Post #790 of 902
  Etymotic HF5 is not really similar to the RE-600. The RE-600 has much more bass presence and a more natural/organic midrange, and a much, much larger sound stage. Etymotic HF5 is highly detailed, "clinical", narrow sound stage with very good instrument separation and lower levels of bass and treble.

Ok, I was not sure as I never heard the HF5 but someone else said they are the next ideal replacement for the RE-600s, guess not then. So inquiring minds would like to know what is the equivalent of the RE-600s? More bass is fine with me but not crazy bass. All else the same or better is ideal. I am eying the Trinity Alpha's but not sure yet.

Mar 22, 2016 at 5:40 PM Post #791 of 902

That is very similar to my experience - took the best possible care and they only lasted around 10 months (this was a replacement).

I guess Re-600 is "built-not-to-last". I have HiFiMan Re-0 which I am using for 5+ years without any issues. 

Apr 18, 2016 at 1:23 AM Post #794 of 902
Thanks for the review HiFlight. My interest is renewed. Especially knowing they sound brighter and wider than the 400. The 400 was very small and in-head. This reads much more appealing to me.

Ok sorry for disappoint you

HiFiMan re600 arent that soundstaging than we think

Actually there is upgrade in soundstage...most of the people confuse it with headstage

Ok what is new in re600 is

Headstage(z axis sound, known as depth)

Soundstage(very minute upgrade to re400, these have very minor upgrade)

Lower resonance(that black paint is the cause for it)

Lower noise(balanced jack)

Better cable(lower resistance)

Better step response

Purely flat(not flattest) sound from 28hz to 18khz

Now why do they sound nicer

Actually that painted enclosure and tighter driver surround with driver grounding makes the decay very small.....fixed 2khz and 5khz decay and peak makes it natural......cleaner sound overall(though a little colder than re400 and less fizzy).....psychoacoustic effect that it is upgrade of re400 and nicer packing

Apr 27, 2016 at 1:37 PM Post #795 of 902
Ok sorry for disappoint you

HiFiMan re600 arent that soundstaging than we think

Actually there is upgrade in soundstage...most of the people confuse it with headstage

Ok what is new in re600 is

Headstage(z axis sound, known as depth)

Soundstage(very minute upgrade to re400, these have very minor upgrade)

Lower resonance(that black paint is the cause for it)

Lower noise(balanced jack)

Better cable(lower resistance)

Better step response

Purely flat(not flattest) sound from 28hz to 18khz

Now why do they sound nicer

Actually that painted enclosure and tighter driver surround with driver grounding makes the decay very small.....fixed 2khz and 5khz decay and peak makes it natural......cleaner sound overall(though a little colder than re400 and less fizzy).....psychoacoustic effect that it is upgrade of re400 and nicer packing

Too bad all that work to make them sound so good is a technical waist when the cable does not even last long enough to be enjoyed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back