HiFiMan RE-600 Review
Jan 13, 2015 at 3:27 PM Post #616 of 902
  I'm considering them, but sibilance would be a dealbreaker for me.   What genres and formats did you listen to?

the only thing that RE-600 do not have is sibilant highs , in fact coming from the RE-272/EQ5 i find the highs a bit 'tamed' compared to these 2 (i never found the re272 sibilant , but the eq5 was a bit 'hot' in the highs region)

the only thing that worries people is their cable , but compared to the re400 (which i also owned and for which many complaints exist) they have a much better cable.

again , there is no sibilance whatsoever with the re600

Jan 13, 2015 at 3:56 PM Post #617 of 902

again , there is no sibilance whatsoever with the re600

That's what I see most people writing, and several reviews emphasize their 'smoothness.'  Yet, there are some who mention sibilance or 'harshness.'  Could this perhaps be a quality control issue?

Jan 13, 2015 at 4:17 PM Post #618 of 902
  That's what I see most people writing, and several reviews emphasize their 'smoothness.'  Yet, there are some who mention sibilance or 'harshness.'  Could this perhaps be a quality control issue?

i see most posts fearing potential cable issues (that is before they buy it) rather than sibilance issues (after they buy it)

the consensus is that they are very good iems , with great price-to-value ratio , but the often cable issues with the re400 makes people jumpy with buying a re600

just my 2 cents.

Jan 13, 2015 at 11:20 PM Post #620 of 902

I have a few devices that are aggravating to listen to because of sibilance... the Stock HD 400 for one.. the RE 600 is not one of them.
Each listener hears things differently. Each one is coming from a different place as to their previous experience with IEMs and their preference. It would be safe to say, for all that I have read, most people that write about them do not find the RE 600 to be harsh or sibilant at all... just the opposite in fact.

You will never know for sure how you will perceive them until you listen for yourself.
Reading other people's opinions can only go so far. At best you look at the numbers, and maybe go with the preponderance of opinion...
Which in this case seems to be ..if anything, they are a bit rolled off and smooth.. the exact opposite of the kind of kind of sound that produces sibilance.

Jan 14, 2015 at 7:49 AM Post #621 of 902

I have a few devices that are aggravating to listen to because of sibilance... the Stock HD 400 for one.. the RE 600 is not one of them.
Each listener hears things differently. Each one is coming from a different place as to their previous experience with IEMs and their preference. It would be safe to say, for all that I have read, most people that write about them do not find the RE 600 to be harsh or sibilant at all... just the opposite in fact.

You will never know for sure how you will perceive them until you listen for yourself.
Reading other people's opinions can only go so far. At best you look at the numbers, and maybe go with the preponderance of opinion...
Which in this case seems to be ..if anything, they are a bit rolled off and smooth.. the exact opposite of the kind of kind of sound that produces sibilance.

Thanks! 

Jan 29, 2015 at 11:45 AM Post #623 of 902
if anyone residing in Europe is thinking of buying a new RE-600 but wants to buy with the new american price(200$) , i am selling my new/unopened pair bought from amazon.com at a very decent price

cheers

Jan 29, 2015 at 6:23 PM Post #624 of 902
Head-Fi is such a funny place. I saw you guys talking a lot about the RE-600 over on the DX90 thread but I totally overlooked your posts as I wasn't interested in the slightest at the time, and now I just finished reading this thread in like 30 mins.

The main everyday IEMs I use are Brainwavz R3 which have a very pleasant signature, but I am finally fed up with their thick and wacky cable and the mediocre fit, so I am looking for a different IEM to replace them. T.R.A.N.C.E. got to me with all of his dynamic driver talk and I started looking at the Dunu Titan 1's, Havi B3 and RE-400. Now that I read how these are a pretty serious set of IEMs I'm really considering them since they are down to $200. I have seen you all say these are warm, balanced, coherent, non-fatiguing, spacious and comfortable. I also really like their understated though somewhat classy look. Pretty much a no brainer huh? 

I have got such a love/hate relationship with this forum. 
wink.gif

Feb 17, 2015 at 5:53 PM Post #625 of 902
Hi HiFlight,

I have reduced my list to 3, and you own 2 of them:
HIFIMAN RE-600
Etymotic ER4-PT
Aurisonics Rockets

I am looking for best combination of noise isolating (air and tren travel) and sound quality together with the on who better fits on small ears (I always use small or medium tips).
Could you please tell how these 3 (at least the first 2) compares in size; looking at photos it seems RE-600 is much bigger than ER4-PT, and Rockets should be the smallest, but concern about sound quality.
I listen 70% rock, 30% jazz, connected to a Audioquest DragonFly v1.2 (I will have in 2 months a iFI micro iDSD)

Which is your opinion? Thank in advance.
Alberto

Feb 18, 2015 at 9:18 AM Post #626 of 902
  Hi HiFlight,

I have reduced my list to 3, and you own 2 of them:
HIFIMAN RE-600
Etymotic ER4-PT
Aurisonics Rockets

I am looking for best combination of noise isolating (air and tren travel) and sound quality together with the on who better fits on small ears (I always use small or medium tips).
Could you please tell how these 3 (at least the first 2) compares in size; looking at photos it seems RE-600 is much bigger than ER4-PT, and Rockets should be the smallest, but concern about sound quality.
I listen 70% rock, 30% jazz, connected to a Audioquest DragonFly v1.2 (I will have in 2 months a iFI micro iDSD)

Which is your opinion? Thank in advance.
Alberto

RE-600 are very small, but they have large nozzle (Comply 400). Also isolation is not that great - vents in housing will always let in some noise even if you have perfectly chosen tips. Etymotics have armature driver so they don't require vents plus small nozzle leads to one of the best isolation.
I might have faulty pair because mine (re600) do sound harsh (with vocals) - so I can't really recommend them.
If you're listen mainly to rock neither ER4 or Rockets will be that good sonically (don't own them - so this is based on sound descriptions I've read) - bass quantity is too low.

You might consider Klipsch X10/11. They are extremely small, isolate very well and sonic properties are good for Rock music. Soundstage is smaller than re600. Also Phonak Audeo PFE with black filters should be good.

Feb 18, 2015 at 1:59 PM Post #627 of 902
@ awayeah

When you say "I might have faulty pair because mine (re600) do sound harsh (with vocals) - so I can't really recommend them." why don't you request a replacement? It can't be that others don't notice that which means it's your item that is faulty.

Feb 18, 2015 at 2:12 PM Post #628 of 902
  @ awayeah

When you say "I might have faulty pair because mine (re600) do sound harsh (with vocals) - so I can't really recommend them." why don't you request a replacement? It can't be that others don't notice that which means it's your item that is faulty.

Well, in few days I'll have a chance to compare them to other pair (of re600). If they sound different I'll request a replacement. Unfortunately I live in Europe and bought mine at head-direct which means I need to send them to China or USA (for a replacement). Head-direct (even though it's official Hifiman store) sends products (at least IEMs) without CE mark (a certification that allows products to be sold in Europe). While there shouldn't be any problems to send them to Head-Direct if someone checks them at customs in my country (the package with replacement unit) they will be send back to head-direct. I would prefer not to take that risk unless I'm sure. Unfortunately that's how this world works.

Mar 7, 2015 at 12:40 PM Post #630 of 902
  Where the rep specified that?

I though the burn-in is a myth, more like a placebo effect.

I too believe it is a myth.. kind of like one of those "urban Legends" that persists over time due to us humans being extremely prone to suggestibility. I think that any changes that people swear that they hear are due to the adaptability of the human auditory system. Over time we change how we perceive the sound, even though there is no real measurable differences.

However, Hifiman does recommend 150 hour burn in for their planar headphones. even though I haven't seen that mentioned for the RE series. It wouldn't surprise me if something about burn in is also recommended for them.

From personal experience I did not see any noticeable changes over a couple of hundred hours on my RE 400 or 600. I also did not hear any significant changes with my HE 400, 400i nor he 560s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back