HiFiMan RE-600 Review
Dec 26, 2014 at 1:47 PM Post #571 of 902
  At the current price the RE-600 is a steal. When placed correctly in the ears, they are superb. If not correctly placed, they do not sound superb but it is an easy fix. I always run the cable up over my ear and that allows the monitors to sit correctly in my ear and to achieve an excellent frequency balance with some of the best sound staging I have heard from any IEM and from many headphones. Placement in the ear canal is the secret. 

Agreed. I tried my set when I got them with the tips that came on them. I was very, very disappointed. After trying around a dozen different tips and playing with getting a good seal, and proper positioning in my ears.. the difference was astounding. I really like these IEMs now.

I think this applies to all IEMs, but it is worth noting for anyone wanting to try the RE 600 , for certain!

Dec 26, 2014 at 1:50 PM Post #572 of 902
  At the current price the RE-600 is a steal. When placed correctly in the ears, they are superb. If not correctly placed, they do not sound superb but it is an easy fix. I always run the cable up over my ear and that allows the monitors to sit correctly in my ear and to achieve an excellent frequency balance with some of the best sound staging I have heard from any IEM and from many headphones. Placement in the ear canal is the secret. 

Could this perhaps have something to do with the vent placement? A deep fit is more or less required to get the best out of the RE400/RE600. When worn cable down + a deep fit, the ventral vent may be partially obstructed by the anti-tragus/notch next to it. When worn cable up the helix crus is well out of the way, which should allow the vent to breathe while achieving a deep fit.

Anyway, they sound brilliant and that's all that matters. Moral of the story is: recognize the variables in achieving the best sound out of a earphone. 

Dec 26, 2014 at 1:57 PM Post #573 of 902
the RE600 stock tips are kinda lame , imho

i am very pleased with the ortofon stock tips(that came with the EQ5) , these tips seem to work well with lots of iems and especially with the hifiman iems ( i use them on my RE-262/272/600)

Dec 26, 2014 at 10:09 PM Post #574 of 902
  The balanced mode is not just a marketing trick. It definitely sounds different. That being said, with some IEMs I prefer it balanced, with others I prefer it Single-Ended.

If you're really interested in this, why don't you just get a balanced TRRS cable for your Westone W60 to test it out?

You see where I live getting a balanced TRRS cable for my Westone W60 is a lot of trouble, a lot of time and a lot of money. It is easier, faster and much cheaper buying RE-600 to test iems balanced for the first time in my life and decide if getting iems balanced is worth trying at all.

Dec 26, 2014 at 11:03 PM Post #575 of 902
  You see where I live getting a balanced TRRS cable for my Westone W60 is a lot of trouble, a lot of time and a lot of money. It is easier, faster and much cheaper buying RE-600 to test iems balanced for the first time in my life and decide if getting iems balanced is worth trying at all.

My personal experience with balanced, not just with the HM901, but also with amps like the Protector, is that they all sound different from their own single-ended versions. They have different effects, too. So it's not just as simple as 'balanced will always sound like this compared to single ended'. So IMHO it's definitely worth trying out, and with different IEMs, and different amps, the effect will be different.

Dec 27, 2014 at 3:35 PM Post #576 of 902
i decided to use my re600s worn behind the ears (Large ortofon EQ5 silicone tips) and the result is fantastic

after 3 years, looks like the re-272 may not be my most loved iem, the last few days i am constantly listening to the re600

re600 it sounds so much more effortless to the re272 (which remains a great iem , don't get me wrong) and the sound is almost addictive

some months ago i had rated/compared the lows/mids/highs between these 2 iems , i will do it again and i will throw i the soundstage (another revelation with the new worn way of the re600s)

lows / mids / highs / soundstage

RE-272 : 5 / 8 / 10 / 8
RE-600 : 8 / 9 / 8,5 / 9,5

of course the /10 is an arbitrary thig to get an idea between these 2 iems

well done , Hifiman !!!

Dec 27, 2014 at 5:13 PM Post #577 of 902

After reading about over the ear wear.. I tried it. I have always used the RE 600 wire down. There is definitely a noticeable difference for me.
It does seem like the low frequencies are better represented. But there seems also to be a reduction in upper midrange and treble. 

I am still playing with it. Not sure if it is really better for use in my system, and with my tastes,  yet.
I am glad that I tried it though. It adds an option that I had not explored.

Dec 27, 2014 at 10:03 PM Post #578 of 902
Are these better same or worse than the Vsonic gr07be? I did a search and there is not much noted. Im looking to get these for my DX90. If there is not much different than the 07s I'll just keep my money.

Dec 27, 2014 at 10:35 PM Post #579 of 902
Are these better same or worse than the Vsonic gr07be? I did a search and there is not much noted. Im looking to get these for my DX90. If there is not much different than the 07s I'll just keep my money.

The question is, what do you think is better or worse? Not sure anyone can answer that for you. It is a hugely subjective question.
Even if someone did answer... one way or another... how would you know if they are right? (with respect to your likes, dislikes, musical tastes, quality of source material...???????)

Dec 27, 2014 at 10:40 PM Post #580 of 902

They are much different and IMO (owning both) much better. The only place the RE600 might lack compared to the GR07 is treble forwardness (not detail or quality), and the GR07 can be sibilant at times as it is...

Jan 2, 2015 at 9:59 PM Post #582 of 902

i am pairing my dx90 with RE-600 - with good recordings, the sound is beautiful

for 199$, i don't think you can get a better iem

Jan 3, 2015 at 9:57 AM Post #584 of 902
Was wondering if the re-600(S) version comes with a plug that does not require the ugly adapter needed with the re-600. I need the iem to have a unbalanced termination with no adapter.

Yes, the "S" in RE600S signifies "Single ended"(TRS), meaning you do not need the adapter to use it with a non balanced source.

Jan 4, 2015 at 12:58 AM Post #585 of 902
The dip in 3K-4K is bothering me with the RE-600, this is the only fault for me in the RE600. Its enough problem for me to continue looking for other iems, but there is no such thing as a perfect iem, so RE600 still gets a 9/10 score.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back