HiFiMan RE-600 Review
Jan 23, 2014 at 9:31 AM Post #436 of 902
Enjoy them, unless you have a HiFiMan balanced source, I recommend the S-model. Do take note that the RE-600 is a tad bit darker in nature too due to the subdued treble.

I already bought one for my sister few weeks back. For that price, it really is worth it. That is why I am very reluctant to buy the 600. Now, I have to buy another pair because I broke my TF10.
frown.gif
Too bad I missed the chance to compare those two.

Jan 25, 2014 at 12:54 PM Post #437 of 902
i may have RE-262 , RE-272 , EQ-5 but i want to get my hands on these like crazy

too expensive for me atm , hifiman never fails to impress me.

Jan 25, 2014 at 3:57 PM Post #439 of 902
  The RE600 lack bass in my opinion, especially if you are listening to metal etc. But I'm using them with a Headstage Arrow amp and the bass boost fixes that problem.

Lacks bass? No way. I have to blatantly and respectfully disagree with you on that one.

Jan 25, 2014 at 4:14 PM Post #440 of 902
  Lacks bass? No way. I have to blatantly and respectfully disagree with you on that one.

Testing it on my A1 amp atm and I think it lacks the thump that I like when I listen to certain types of music,maybe its just my setup I don't know. Guess it comes down to preference.  Listen to, Black Sun (feat. Celldweller), let me know what you think. In my opinion they lack bass.

Jan 25, 2014 at 4:23 PM Post #441 of 902
  Testing it on my A1 amp atm and I think it lacks the thump that I like when I listen to certain types of music,maybe its just my setup I don't know. Guess it comes down to preference.  Listen to, Black Sun (feat. Celldweller), let me know what you think. In my opinion they lack bass.

I can only think it would be your system as on some material I find the bass to be so deep it can fatigue you. It's even capable of pressurizing your ear canal and drum, giving you that tickling feeling few headphones can achieve. This is from the HM-901 with balanced card, haven't heard the A1. Have a link?

EDIT: If it's the Beyerdynamic A1, that one I have heard/owned. It has a 120 ohm output impedance, so you would get a pitiful bass response. I think there are clones too on eBay that have similar specs.

Jan 25, 2014 at 7:23 PM Post #442 of 902
Like most other single dynamic driver IEMs, the impedance curve on the RE-600 is near dead flat. Adding 100 ohms of serial impedance won't alter the bass frequencies or the rest of the spectrum appreciably

Jan 26, 2014 at 8:31 AM Post #443 of 902
Has it been confirmed by HiFiMAN or someone who's bought one that the RE-600S comes with a standard unbalanced cable? It makes sense to me that that's what it would be, but their specifications don't necessarily imply that:

RE-600:

3.5mm mini plug
Mini adapter for regular earphone jack
Frequency Response: 15Hz-22KHz
Impedance: 16 Ohms
Sensitivity: 102 dB/mW
Weight: 0.48Oz (13.7g)

RE-600S:

3.5mm mini plug
Frequency Response: 15Hz-22KHz
Impedance: 16 Ohms
Sensitivity: 102 dB/mW
Weight: 0.48Oz (13.7g)

These specs from their website kind of make it look like the 600S has a balanced cable and merely lacks the adapter.

Jan 26, 2014 at 1:41 PM Post #445 of 902
I have the 600S. It has a regular 3.5 mm standard unbalanced cable.
No need for an extra connector.

Great - thank you for confirming. Now just have to try and source the 600S in the UK somewhere.

Out of interest, what are you pairing your 600S with, and how do you like it?

edit: Seems like nowhere in the UK sells the RE-600S.
frown.gif
Might have to look into importing instead. Though it doesn't seem like a lot of American stockists have them, either.

Where did you get yours, please, if you read this?

Jan 31, 2014 at 7:51 PM Post #446 of 902
Got my RE-600S today. Amazingly quick delivery via USPS/Parcelforce - I ordered on the 28th and received the package on the 31st. I also saved £90 over the price of the RE-600 over here, thanks to the horrendous price differences we always seem to get hit with.

Anyway, I'm really delighted with the phones. They're super smooth yet detailed. A lot of the good aspects of the e-Q7s are here but these have more treble and are just more dynamic and enjoyable to my ears. They can excite for extended periods without fatiguing, which is wonderful. They really do work nicely with a lot of different styles of music, too. Experimented a bit with the included tips, and liked the double flanges, but in the end the ones that arrived on give me the best seal, sitting nice and snug in my ears and giving a great sound. Very happy so far.

Feb 2, 2014 at 9:05 PM Post #447 of 902
I just visited the Head-Direct site and say there was a RE600 and a RE600S. I could not determine the difference between the two.  Does anyone know?

Feb 2, 2014 at 9:17 PM Post #448 of 902
The RE600 is TRRS-terminated (balanced) while the RE600S is single-ended.

The RE600 comes with a single-ended adapter but it's a bit cumbersome to use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back