Hifiman HM901S New Flagship DAP
Feb 2, 2017 at 7:19 AM Post #617 of 666
I got the Hifiman HM-901U with Minibox also have balanced and Musical box,  and founding the player a little to piercing on treble for my ear. I do really love the HM on acoustic Jazz with good recording, but all my DSD files sound way to bright for me. Also i find annoying to stay near to a 120v plug when the battery goes down, or having a battery spare in my pocket..You still need a screw driver with you if you need to change the battery.
Anyway, for selling now...  Questyle is on the way !

Feb 2, 2017 at 7:37 AM Post #618 of 666
  I got the Hifiman HM-901U with Minibox also have balanced and Musical box,  and founding the player a little to piercing on treble for my ear. I do really love the HM on acoustic Jazz with good recording, but all my DSD files sound way to bright for me. Also i find annoying to stay near to a 120v plug when the battery goes down, or having a battery spare in my pocket..You still need a screw driver with you if you need to change the battery.
Anyway, for selling now...  Questyle is on the way !

sad to hear you didnt like the 901U..i once had the stagediver 4 paired with my 901s w/ minibox gold..indeed a very bright & piercing pairing..i love the overall presentation of the 901s so i sold my SD4 and bought the tg334..for almost 2yrs now, am still enjoying the combo..it's all about the pairing & synergy bro..

Feb 2, 2017 at 7:42 AM Post #619 of 666
Having before the ZX2 balanced and Cayin N6 for 2 years and never find my CIEM or IEM to be a bad match. Love My AKG K3003 with jazz music on The 901U... But cannot listen electronic music with it anymore. I guess HM should be better with Classical.

Feb 4, 2017 at 1:19 PM Post #620 of 666
Hello There!

Well, nobody answered my question, but all's well that ends well – the gentleman at the HiFiMAN customer service was very generous (and I think also had enough of my whining :wink:), and sent me an original wall charger as a gift! If someone reads this from HiFiMAN: THANK YOU VERY MUCH again!

So I can tell you now: there is no bigger trick or conspiracy – normally operating the wall charger and the empty cradle puts out ~ 8.4V on both pinpairs.

Results and conclusion:
-       I have a malfunctioning wall charger
-       I tried to charge the dead battery, but seemingly it won’t charge at all (also dead after about an hour), I don’t try anymore
-       I don’t know, which of these accessories went wrong firts and damaged the other, but there is an obvious correlation (just suspecting the charger short circuited the battery)

Final thought:
AVOID LONG TERM LISTENINGS WHILE ON CHARGER
That’s all. Cheers!
Attila

Feb 4, 2017 at 2:13 PM Post #621 of 666
Hello There!

Well, nobody answered my question, but all's well that ends well – the gentleman at the HiFiMAN customer service was very generous (and I think also had enough of my whining :wink:), and sent me an original wall charger as a gift! If someone reads this from HiFiMAN: THANK YOU VERY MUCH again!

So I can tell you now: there is no bigger trick or conspiracy – normally operating the wall charger and the empty cradle puts out ~ 8.4V on both pinpairs.

[COLOR=111111] [/COLOR]
[COLOR=111111]Results and conclusion:[/COLOR]
[COLOR=111111]-      [/COLOR] [COLOR=111111]I have a malfunctioning wall charger[/COLOR]

[COLOR=111111]-      [/COLOR] [COLOR=111111]I tried to charge the dead battery, but seemingly it won’t charge at all (also dead after about an hour), I don’t try anymore[/COLOR]

[COLOR=111111]-      [/COLOR] [COLOR=111111]I don’t know, which of these accessories went wrong firts and damaged the other, but there is an obvious correlation (just suspecting the charger short circuited the battery)[/COLOR]

[COLOR=111111] [/COLOR]
[COLOR=111111]Final thought:[/COLOR]
[COLOR=111111]AVOID LONG TERM LISTENINGS WHILE ON CHARGER[/COLOR]
[COLOR=111111]That’s all. Cheers![/COLOR]
[COLOR=111111]Attila[/COLOR]

In fact, avoid listening while charging. Not even short listening.

Mar 16, 2017 at 7:56 AM Post #625 of 666
I have the hm802u. Returning the mini box gold due to hiss with anything sub 100 ohm. Going musical amp instead.
Anyone compare Musical aka current descrete vs iem amp card ? Power amp 2 card card stock has no hiss. The best card is the fen li descrete v3, but i cant get a hold of one.

Mar 16, 2017 at 2:50 PM Post #626 of 666
I have the hm802u. Returning the mini box gold due to hiss with anything sub 100 ohm. Going musical amp instead.
Anyone compare Musical aka current descrete vs iem amp card ? Power amp 2 card card stock has no hiss. The best card is the fen li descrete v3, but i cant get a hold of one.

Did you tell this to HiFiMan (the hiss) ?

Mar 17, 2017 at 3:19 PM Post #629 of 666
From the spec's the Minibox Gold should have a 6dB lower noise floor (higher SNR) than the Musical amp card, but better channel separation (crosstalk). I would expect there was something wrong with the Minibox Gold amp card if you got hiss. If not, then the IEM amp card should be your best bet (in theory at least).

Mar 17, 2017 at 7:36 PM Post #630 of 666
  From the spec's the Minibox Gold should have a 6dB lower noise floor (higher SNR) than the Musical amp card, but better channel separation (crosstalk). I would expect there was something wrong with the Minibox Gold amp card if you got hiss. If not, then the IEM amp card should be your best bet (in theory at least).

I tried the k3003 which are 8 ohm on low gain, Terrible. Then I tried the isine 20 which is 20 ohm, still hissing. Lastly I tried the SE M-1 which are 45 ohm, I still can pick up a hiss on low gain. The minibox gold has to be designed for very power hungry planar's or dynamic headphones such as the He1k, sennheiser hd800s, ect.. I have talked to plenty of people with experience with Hifiman daps and amp cards. They recommended the new discrete amp card a.k.a Musical amp. The best amp card that is impossible to find, the discrete v3 amp card made by Feng Li. I have a feeling the iem amp card is crap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back