Hifiman HM901S New Flagship DAP
Jun 3, 2015 at 10:17 PM Post #196 of 666
This thread is sure slow and with little impression for a flagship DAP from hifiman.

i think everyone assumes the 901s will sound identical to the 901, just with a new housing and better controls.  we'll see when we finally get some reviews.

Jun 4, 2015 at 5:57 AM Post #198 of 666
I think that the issue is brand new and no one has it yet.

... and those who has it are posting in Chinese forums
rolleyes.gif

Jun 4, 2015 at 10:26 AM Post #199 of 666
Jun 4, 2015 at 10:55 AM Post #201 of 666

The question was why no reviews. Until someone has it and hears it, there will be no reviews, other threads notwithstanding.

i thought the question was why this thread has had so little activity.  there have been no reviews of the fiio x7 and no reviews, just some quick impressions of pre-production questyle qp1 and qp1r's, but there is tremendous activity on those threads.  whether that's productive or worth the time and energy is another matter.  the hm901s is actually on the market, if i'm not mistaken.  there are production units for sale, but not many people seem interested in talking about it.  there's a sherlock holmes story in which the key to mystery is deduced from the fact that a dog did not bark.   the question raised, as i understood it, is why no one is interested in talking about it.  i'd be curious to know how many units are actually being purchased.  i.e. does this thread's relative silence means no one is buying it, or just that there's little to talk about because, i speculate, it sounds like its predecessor.

Jun 5, 2015 at 10:10 AM Post #203 of 666
Lucky India, where the new money is now.

Jun 6, 2015 at 11:52 AM Post #204 of 666
I played around with the 901S again at THE Show in Newport last week.  The firmware was 2.002.  Not sure what was different.

Probably the single most frustrating part of the UI for the 901 and 901S is how it scans files.  It takes soooooooo long.  The 901S is a bit faster at scanning though.  But it would be great if the scanning could be done in the background, or much faster.  If you've ever used an Astell and Kern player, it's extremely frustrating when you use a HiFiMan player.  

Want to add one more song or album to your SD Card?  Sure.   Pop it back in the 901 to listen to your new music and.... "Updating Database......"      FFFFFFFFFFFF!!!!!!!! UUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!

Jun 6, 2015 at 3:17 PM Post #205 of 666
  i thought the question was why this thread has had so little activity.  there have been no reviews of the fiio x7 and no reviews, just some quick impressions of pre-production questyle qp1 and qp1r's, but there is tremendous activity on those threads.  whether that's productive or worth the time and energy is another matter.  the hm901s is actually on the market, if i'm not mistaken.  there are production units for sale, but not many people seem interested in talking about it.  there's a sherlock holmes story in which the key to mystery is deduced from the fact that a dog did not bark.   the question raised, as i understood it, is why no one is interested in talking about it.  i'd be curious to know how many units are actually being purchased.  i.e. does this thread's relative silence means no one is buying it, or just that there's little to talk about because, i speculate, it sounds like its predecessor.

I think that's because its targeted at the market they already covered and that audience is rather satisfied with the original. With it's size not changing they haven't secured a new demographic so results will be less hobbyist or headfi than before. If I were HM I'd have worked very hard to make it smaller.  

Jun 6, 2015 at 3:39 PM Post #206 of 666
I would be interested for two reasons : power on really quick and more steps for volume control. But I am satisfied with my "older gen" and I would be affraid not to find a "better" sound. Plus it is expensive. My package (HM-901, minibox card, line out cable, S/Pdif cable, extra battery, external charger) will stay home for a lonnnng time.
I know a friend of mine will buy the S so I will see later if it worths the money.
Not to forget we do have an interest for what is new. S version is not what we can call brand new. Yes I am curious, but not to the point to buy it for "minor" improvements. HM-901 is still a king.

Jun 8, 2015 at 9:19 AM Post #208 of 666
This is my first experience with Hifiman and I’m eminently satisfied.  Mine came with the balanced card which, after some research, felt best suited to my needs.  The UI was a bit dodgy at first, but I’ve grown accustomed to it and am still exploring a vast music library.  From my understanding, this model allows for more memory than the previous.  I’ve taken it on the road, since it doesn’t appear overtly “blingy,” and someone mistook it for a Blackberry from afar.  (Note, I did say from afar.)  The design, heft and color make me feel like I’m listening to files on Spock’s tricorder.  I’ll probably buy the dock at some point because part of my intention was to use this as a surrogate CD player since I’ve digitized a massive library.

Jun 9, 2015 at 2:09 PM Post #209 of 666
anyone upgraded yet? I see it's Yen 999 (£100 ish) on their Chinese forum,
not a bad deal, anyone west of India got this deal?

http://bbs.hifiman.cn/thread-10949-1-1.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back