HiFiMan HM601 vs iAudio 10 vs ColorFly C3
Dec 27, 2012 at 4:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

yash3339

New Head-Fier
As the title suggests. Have a limited budget, in the 200$ range. HiFiMan is not available here in India, I'll have to import it from China. As is the colorfly.
I plan to use the player with a pair of SHN2500 IEMs from Philips till I save up enough for a pair of good cans. Looking at the Sony MDR XD200/300.

I'll be glad if someone can guide me here.

TIA

Sent from my M11C using Tapatalk 2

Dec 27, 2012 at 12:10 PM Post #3 of 18
Do a search on 601 vs c3 , lots of posts .

Never heard of the iaudio ? What is it?

Dec 27, 2012 at 8:50 PM Post #5 of 18
If you can wait 24 hours I can give you a run down on the C3 vs 601, as I'm picking up the Hifiman this afternoon.

I already have C3 and Cowon S9 here, I can safely say C3 is the better sounding player of the two set flat. Even using BBE the Cowon sounds rather placid or to relaxed, it doesn't have the attack C3 has, especially around the mid range and sounds 'mainstream' and slightly artifical, it lacks tonality and timbre of the Colorfly. If you're going to be using EQ, such as BBE and Mach3bass Cowon is still an option, though if you prefer a flat sound without EQ C3 is a sure pick over the two players.

I'll give you a brief run on the 601 vs C3 over the next day or so.

Dec 27, 2012 at 9:24 PM Post #6 of 18
Quote:
If you can wait 24 hours I can give you a run down on the C3 vs 601, as I'm picking up the Hifiman this afternoon.

Still chasing the dragon, I see....
wink_face.gif

Dec 28, 2012 at 2:10 AM Post #8 of 18
I don't think I'll be using EQ. And sure I can wait, actually I've put up my iPod for sale so before it gets a buyer I have to wait.

And what entry level cans do you suggest for use with the C3? I usually listen to classic rock and a little bit of jazz.
Thanks again!

Sent from my UMI X1 using Tapatalk 2

Dec 28, 2012 at 5:23 PM Post #9 of 18
After spending some time between the two players last night, I think this comes down to how much power you need / what kind of signature you prefer. C3 is the colder sounding player, it won't have a beefy low end like the Hifiman, it has the most clarity of the two, it also has the airy wider stage. Instrument separation is about even, if anything they just express it slightly differently, HM-601 expresses separation with ease without being overly obvious which blends into the presentation well, while the C3 can sound a little clunky at times compared. it's a little in your face. I do believe HM-601 has the better micro detailing and stereo of the two. I enjoy them both, but I can see HM-601 as a player that may not wow everyone straight away. It's warmer natural and more analogue sounding, which I really enjoy. C3 still has that digital sound signature, which can sound a little fake but jumps out and says "hi" The Hifiman has over double the power even on low gain, and for headphones would be the better choice.

Both are excellent players in their own right, it really depends what kind of signature you prefer.

Another quick comparison can be found here.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/630235/t-peos-h-100-hybrid-iem-appreciation-thread/1110#post_8998394

I'm not into fullsize headphones but Sony MDR-V6 pair well with C3.

If you have any questions on pacific area's betwwen the players I'm happy to help. Basically though, with these two choices cross the Cowon off your list imo

Dec 30, 2012 at 1:21 AM Post #10 of 18
Many thanks H2OFidelity.

Well quite frankly I'm really not a full fledged audiophile like the people here, and I'll go with whatever you tell me. Cooler signature.. does it refer to emphasis on treble and high notes?

And well I'm sure I won't be pairing the DAP with a high end pair of cans (yet, at least) so 1 point in favor of the C3 because of the smaller sizd and around half the price of the HiFiMAN. Now I'm looking at a pair of Sony MDRs. XD 200/300, ZX 700 or the XB300/500, these are domestically available in my country.

Dec 30, 2012 at 2:17 AM Post #11 of 18
Yes, a colder signature can be brighter, focused treble crisper mid range, as opposed to warm tends to a little more bassy, sweeter around the mid range, polite / placid treble.I think the best value for your money is in the C3 here also your safest choice. It has better run times, more air more wow factor andyou can always add a FiiO E5 portable amp to it. Unless of course you like lots of bass, if bass is your quest 601 has it in spades. Full bodied presentation also drives IEM/headphone much louder than C3.

I like them both for different reasons, they both have something the other doesn't. If I had to take one on a deserted island with me for a long time, I honestly don't know which I'd choose right now. Possibly C3.

Goodluck!

Dec 30, 2012 at 5:22 AM Post #12 of 18
Thank you once again.

I'll go for the C3. It'll be a learning curve for me though... still getting to terms with technicalities of all this.

Lastly, what would you suggest for use with the C3 among Sony MDR XD200, XD300, ZX700, XB300, XB500?

I hope you don't mind my questions.

Dec 30, 2012 at 5:33 AM Post #13 of 18
Thank you once again.
I'll go for the C3. It'll be a learning curve for me though... still getting to terms with technicalities of all this.
Lastly, what would you suggest for use with the C3 among Sony MDR XD200, XD300, ZX700, XB300, XB500?
I hope you don't mind my questions.

I've owned the XB500, they're very mid bass centric, mids and highs are pretty average. I don't like really like any of those choices :xf_eek:

Lets see.......

Something like the Creative Aurvana Live (CAL) would be a nice choice, or possibly the JVC HA-S500 which has a 250 page thread here would be worth considering. And another vote from me for Sony MDR-V6 because I have heard those paired with C3, a wonderful sound.

These are headphones I see mentioned frequently on the boards, very popular models and shouldn't let you down. :cool:

Dec 30, 2012 at 11:28 AM Post #14 of 18
Quote:
I've owned the XB500, they're very mid bass centric, mids and highs are pretty average. I don't like really like any of those choices
redface.gif

Lets see.......
Something like the Creative Aurvana Live (CAL) would be a nice choice, or possibly the JVC HA-S500 which has a 250 page thread here would be worth considering. And another vote from me for Sony MDR-V6 because I have heard those paired with C3, a wonderful sound.
These are headphones I see mentioned frequently on the boards, very popular models and shouldn't let you down.
cool.gif

Well I mentioned those because all of them are available domestically. I don't want to import cans too... given the high exchange rate and exorbitant high shipping prices to India, they really don't seem all that worthy to me. For eg, the CALs would set me back by close to $150USD which really doesn't make sense. 

Do these http://www.mp4nation.net/brainwavz-earphones/brainwavz-hm5-studio-monitor-headphones/ sound good?

Jan 1, 2013 at 4:39 AM Post #15 of 18
Well I mentioned those because all of them are available domestically. I don't want to import cans too... given the high exchange rate and exorbitant high shipping prices to India, they really don't seem all that worthy to me. For eg, the CALs would set me back by close to $150USD which really doesn't make sense. 

Do these http://www.mp4nation.net/brainwavz-earphones/brainwavz-hm5-studio-monitor-headphones/ sound good?

Those headphones are 64ohms, so you'd be able to drive them ok from C3. I'm just concerned about this post that says they really benefit from amping in the low end. C3's low end is already rather neutral, paring a headphone that requires some amping to sound right may not be the right choice.

What about the JVC HA-S500? Can you get those in your area, they're only $50 - $60 and have a 250 page appreciation thread here. From what I read they have slightly emphasised bass which will work well with the Colorfly's signature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back