HIFIMAN HM601 or HM801 : Help me to choose
Jan 1, 2011 at 3:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Chris13

New Head-Fier
Hello

I'm going to buy a HIFIMAN players for my Denon D5000 headphones. I have a collection of CDs ripped to 16/44 FLAC format.
I am wondering which of the HM601 or HM801 would be right for me : given the price difference it is a touch choice.
If SQ of the HM801 is far better than HM601 then, I think, I could be ready to spend a few more bucks.

Here are my requirements:

- having great vocals reproduction
- live albums should sound great
- having a wide soundstage

- don't care of the USB DAC function
- autonomy, size, etc is not an issue, the players will be use mainly at my office.

Don't hesitate to ask me any questions if it can help to make a choice.

Thanks

Jan 1, 2011 at 4:06 PM Post #2 of 9
Well, make sure you really want a hifiman

they mostly for the person who JUST wants high grade music to be portable
I have a clip+ rockbox to play just the flac of holst's planets

the hifiman are legendary to have great audio quality
but if you want something different (cowon) and still great quality

My list for sq would be:
Hifiman
Cowon
Sansa
Apple
Zune
Creative
Sony
other

If you just want to listen to music, and will transfer music over constantly, get a hifiman, (601, more portable)
If you want more storage, cheaper price, more features, great eq, great sound (9.75/10 to 10/10 to hifiman) get a cowon (j3 or wait for the d3 to be released, which would be great also)

I've been using a old Creative Zen Xtra for a while, and I have to say, it sounds pretty close to a cowon (even for it's age)
This proves you don't have to buy the NEWEST player to have good sq. Buy the hifiman because you like the features, and the best music quality. Buy a cowon if you want great sq with a pile of features and looks to suit anyone. Buy a ipod if you want the community or if you like your stuff stolen.

I recommend:
Cowon J3 (great sound, great video, great everything)
Cowon D3 (New flagship to replace j3)
Cowon S9 (j3, older model, just cheaper)
Hifiman 601

In this order

The Denon D5000 I believe need amp to work well

THE PLAN:
Buy a Cowon j3, or wait for the D3
Buy a Portable amp (i'm not good with them, check them out in the head gear section for reviews)
Buy a good case and warranty from squaretrade for everything

IMO

Jan 1, 2011 at 5:18 PM Post #3 of 9
Thanks for your reply.
I focus only on SQ, for all others stuff I already have a wonderful iphone 4.
What I find great with hifiman is that you don't need to buy another amp, a LOD, etc.
So yes I'm sure I want a hifiman :)

Jan 1, 2011 at 5:31 PM Post #4 of 9
There are 2 reviews of the HM602 and the HM801 as far as I know. ClieOS and warp08 have compared the two so search for those 2 reviews and you should find a good place to start some research on them. It's been reported that the 602 and 601 sound very similar and Fang even said that some may not be able to tell the difference.

Jan 1, 2011 at 5:52 PM Post #5 of 9

Quote:
Thanks for your reply.
I focus only on SQ, for all others stuff I already have a wonderful iphone 4.
What I find great with hifiman is that you don't need to buy another amp, a LOD, etc.
So yes I'm sure I want a hifiman
smily_headphones1.gif

Well, a amp wouldn't hurt the hifiman. I haven't heard anyone say YOU CAN'T profit from a amp, or lose anything.
As long as the amp is a good quality to not play with the sound

Jan 2, 2011 at 5:18 AM Post #6 of 9
I'm not going to say that you can't profit of an amp.
Having read several reviews, hifiman amp part is so good and signal path from DAC to amp so short that even when using the line out with a good amp, the headphone out still has the edge or at least is comparable.
The bonus is that you have an all in one stuff with the hifiman instead of having a player + lod + amp.

Jan 31, 2011 at 8:33 PM Post #7 of 9
I don't know if you are still undecided about the Hifiman but I have owned the HF-801 for 7-8 months and absolutely love the sound it produces with Denon AH-D7000 (very similar to your AH-D5000 I believe). None of the usual complaints regarding battery, lack of gapless, or not so intuitive navigation have been a problem to me. The only thing that has kept me from taking it with me at time was the fact it was already set up as a computer DAC and I was too lazy to disrupt the "installation" just to set it back up few hours later...
All of this to say, I love the Hifiman HF-801 sound signature so much that I decided to order their latest HM-601 as a secondary smaller on the fly dedicated player. I'll try to post my impressions between the two players when I have used the 601 enough that it is burned in.
At currently $259 on sale, I really don't think you can go wrong with the 601 - AH-D5000 association, have no fear, embrace it ; )

Jan 31, 2011 at 8:41 PM Post #8 of 9
Also its important to point out that the HMX01 have colored sound with high end treble roll off. So if true neutral sound is desired it may be best to go a different route. Personally I like my HM601 and the new versions come with 8 gig and are more accepting of SD cards.

Jan 31, 2011 at 9:04 PM Post #9 of 9

Quote:
Also its important to point out that the HMX01 have colored sound with high end treble roll off. So if true neutral sound is desired it may be best to go a different route. Personally I like my HM601 and the new versions come with 8 gig and are more accepting of SD cards.

HM601/602, yes. But I don't really hear the roll off on HM801. Unless you have extremely sensitive ears for high treble, I won't be worry much about treble roll off on HM801.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back