Hifiman HM1000: Worlds first Quad PCM 1704 DAP
Jul 30, 2022 at 10:58 AM Post #481 of 585
A some days ago blue light of my HM1000 went out and bluetooth not works more. Input switch didn't help, and it turned to USB-only dac. Hifiman declined to repair or change it even for money!

Fortunately I ressurected HM1000 with completly discharging and starting charging again. After charging was started a blue light is flashing again and bluetooth working again. Hope it can help somebody.

Just another bug and lack of real user support, unfortunately nothing new with Hifiman.
How did you fully discharge the HM1K? If I use a transport it takes power from the transport until the transport is completely discharged which means the HM1K doesn't deplete its battery.

Jul 30, 2022 at 12:16 PM Post #482 of 585
How did you fully discharge the HM1K? If I use a transport it takes power from the transport until the transport is completely discharged which means the HM1K doesn't deplete its battery.
Just leave it turned on without any connections and wait till it turns off. Than do it again and again till it will not turn off after about 10 seconds. A quite long process, I know. Than you can connect power supply.

Another tip is not using very powerful power supplies for charging — it will extend a battery life. On my experience 3A adapters at long use shorten a battery life of HM1000 and creates a memory effect in battery. It also right for r2r2000.

Jul 31, 2022 at 3:01 AM Post #483 of 585
Just leave it turned on without any connections and wait till it turns off. Than do it again and again till it will not turn off after about 10 seconds. A quite long process, I know. Than you can connect power supply.

Another tip is not using very powerful power supplies for charging — it will extend a battery life. On my experience 3A adapters at long use shorten a battery life of HM1000 and creates a memory effect in battery. It also right for r2r2000.
Do you mean use a 3V charger?

Aug 9, 2022 at 6:16 PM Post #485 of 585
I have received the HM1K Gold and the sound is simply glorious. However I'm having some issues with 'update media library', if anyone could help that would be greatly appreciated.

• When using the PC Tool, it successfully scans the SD Card and even generates a .DAT file (about 20 MB). However it is unable to upload the .DAT file as it produces an error. No QR code is able to be generated. Does this PC Tool function still work for you or has Hifiman disabled it?

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2022 at 7:38 PM Post #486 of 585
I have received the HM1K Gold and the sound is simply glorious. However I'm having some issues with 'update media library', if anyone could help that would be greatly appreciated.

• When using the PC Tool, it successfully scans the SD Card and even generates a .DAT file (about 20 MB). However it is unable to upload the .DAT file as it produces an error. No QR code is able to be generated. Does this PC Tool function still work for you or has Hifiman disabled it?
how does it compare to lp6 and modded wm1z?

Aug 9, 2022 at 8:09 PM Post #487 of 585
how does it compare to lp6 and modded wm1z?
Absolutely better than my WM1Z (detail extraction, sound stage, instrument separation). I do not have any LP DAPs to compare with at the moment, however I can see why @efftee ranks the Gold at a similar level as LP6 7AE when the HM1K is properly amped. I have yet to hook up the HM1K to the Aroma stack, however it is quite impressive as an all in one via LDAC. On super low gain, MEXT is already pushing at my hearing limits with bass line slam at Hugo 2 levels.

The hardware build quality of the HM1K is not what I expected from Hifiman, it's extremely good. The software...well it's not even functional for me atm. It will be a journey on how I can get local SD storage working.

However, all that being said. I am leaning toward keeping this just as a LDAC DAC/amp, that's how good the sound quality is. It's not thick or dense like LP6 Platinum was (from memory), instead it's a cleaner, more neutral presentation yet retains excellent texture (particularly in bass). Fang Bian has demonstrated yet again (particularly at TOTL), his audio tuning is near impeccable. This type of sound is what I wanted from the Lotoo players all along.

I don't know what is worse. The fact this product isn't available anymore...or the software that holds back the most basic functionality of local file playback.

Aug 9, 2022 at 8:17 PM Post #488 of 585
Absolutely better than my WM1Z (detail extraction, sound stage, instrument separation). I do not have any LP DAPs to compare with at the moment, however I can see why @efftee ranks the Gold at a similar level as LP6 7AE when the HM1K is properly amped. I have yet to hook up the HM1K to the Aroma stack, however it is quite impressive as an all in one via LDAC. On super low gain, MEXT is already pushing at my hearing limits with bass line slam at Hugo 2 levels.

The hardware build quality of the HM1K is not what I expected from Hifiman, it's extremely good. The software...well it's not even functional for me atm. It will be a journey on how I can get local SD storage working.

However, all that being said. I am leaning toward keeping this just as a LDAC DAC/amp, that's how good the sound quality is. It's not thick or dense like LP6 Platinum was (from memory), instead it's a cleaner, more neutral presentation yet retains excellent texture (particularly in bass). Fang Bian has demonstrated yet again (particularly at TOTL), his audio tuning is near impeccable. This type of sound is what I wanted from the Lotoo players all along.

I don't know what is worse. The fact this product isn't available anymore...or the software that holds back the most basic functionality of local file playback.
Or that the device doesn't have a screen!! I still hold onto a r2r2000 black and am getting it modded, don't mind local files but I really need a device purely for music :) and man if you still haven't heard the sound quality directly from sd card then that's wild.

Surely SQ will jump a notch!

I really hope hifiman's new himalaya dac truly rivals the pcm1704, that way in the future we may get a proper player with a screen. That being said if it's android I'll just give up and search for a hm1k haha.

and yeah build quality is great! not sure what's up with hifiman but they're top notch on everything besides UI, so odd!

Aug 9, 2022 at 8:28 PM Post #490 of 585
This product is giving me serious consideration to sell Hugo 2 Go...what have you done Hifiman.
I have the limited Gold edition which has an even better build, believe it's stainless steel. @efftee hunted one down after I sent him pics.

It's an incredible player that I've been using as a DAC with a Xduoo 10TII as a transport. My BT is still not working despite various efforts. I'm still waiting to find a way to send it back to Hifiman to get it fixed. Congratulations and welcome to the frustrating HM1K club 😆

Aug 9, 2022 at 9:54 PM Post #491 of 585
However it is unable to upload the .DAT file as it produces an error. No QR code is able to be generated. Does this PC Tool function still work for you or has Hifiman disabled it?

Just tested it right now — it's working. You should waiting till " 媒体库生成完成,请上传至服务器" message and than press generate QR code. My databases about 10 Mb big. Maybe your database is too big, try to reduce a quantity of files on SD card or test it with other SD card.

I really hope hifiman's new himalaya dac truly rivals the pcm1704

My brother have r2r2000 and new HM1000 with Himalaya chip — it's worse than Lotoo Gold and far away from r2r2000, there is no miracle! Burr Brown 1704 was a pinnacle of very precise and yet abaddoned technology (laser trimmng, etc.). Some modern advanced r2r designs can compete with it, but almost never in compact design. Hifiman is not a famous semiconductor company, their "new chip" looks more like Chord fgpa matrix with it's limitations.

1660095844754.png

Aug 10, 2022 at 1:42 AM Post #492 of 585
Just tested it right now — it's working. You should waiting till " 媒体库生成完成,请上传至服务器" message and than press generate QR code. My databases about 10 Mb big. Maybe your database is too big, try to reduce a quantity of files on SD card or test it with other SD card.

My brother have r2r2000 and new HM1000 with Himalaya chip — it's worse than Lotoo Gold and far away from r2r2000, there is no miracle! Burr Brown 1704 was a pinnacle of very precise and yet abaddoned technology (laser trimmng, etc.). Some modern advanced r2r designs can compete with it, but almost never in compact design. Hifiman is not a famous semiconductor company, their "new chip" looks more like Chord fgpa matrix with it's limitations.

1660095844754.png
thank you!! well, eventually when money is in a good place I'll get a hm1k black (prefer the color) and send it to get modded into it's max capabilities :)

Aug 11, 2022 at 10:51 AM Post #493 of 585
anywhere I can find a 4 x pcm1704 version of the HM1000(black or gold) for sale ?

1660095844754.png
are you saying the r2r2000 is better than the loto gold ?

Aug 11, 2022 at 11:04 AM Post #494 of 585
are you saying the r2r2000 is better than the loto gold ?

Yes, but it should be well burned because 1704 have a long burning time. Lotoo gold plays well right out the box.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back