Hifiman HM1000: Worlds first Quad PCM 1704 DAP
May 19, 2022 at 7:24 PM Post #406 of 585
Yah, I have a p6p and have played with external amps extensively. Desktop wise it's totaly doable to surpass the internal amp on a technical level (though I'm yet to find anything with a similar sound). Portable it's a hut harder to pass it technicaly with only the masskobo 428 doing it for me so far. Portable amps I have more so used for synergy matching rather than outright increased technicalities.

Tbh the only real reason I'm too interested in the hmk is because the usb input of the p6p is pretty rough imo being several tiers below the sq level of internal storage. Having a device that's maybe slightly worse in best case but doesn't take that hit for usb input would be pretty nice imo
The 428 is a good amp. I did not like it with my HM1K and got the Aroma A100TB+PSU, which I think is a better match. Coincidentally, it's almost the same footprint so whilst portability is an issue (though I do not listen on the move), it is at least neatly stacked. I know someone on here who uses the same Aroma power stack with his P6 Pro and thinks that is a good match too. I recently picked up an Origa, like @RPKwan; it's still burning in but already sounds pretty good with interchangeable tubes and op amps.

When you say USB, do you mean OTG? Hmm. I don't use that with the HM1K as it is finicky with a single Lightning/USB-C to USB-C interconnect. Instead Hifiman suggests using the Apply USB-C to USB-A into an Apple adapter with USB-A female to Lightning. So I just use BT from iPod to HM1K to play off the SD card through the app.

dual pcm1704k, but can be standalone dap :)
and yes i don't think so too, but caps, cables op amps and batteries can make a difference in overall enjoyment
For the amount of money you will spend on doing the mod, why not consider selling the dual and getting the quad? IMO, 2 more PCM1704K will make more difference than the caps (good caps are just too big for the HM1K chassis) and batteries, and op amps could still be added. I did not know op amps are interchangeable, I wouldn't mind doing that if someone could do it reliably. Would be a shame if the HM1K is damaged in the process! 😱

Perhaps you don't know that Hifiman start to develop "world's first audiophile music player" HM-801 in 2008, just year later after firm was established. For many of mobile audio enthusiasts they are associated more with their DAPs, than headphones. They also had a large selection of models from very basic to complex. They looks like a evolving products, rather than experiments. You can neglect of design if you making something hand build on demand like Altmann Tera Player, but it's definitely not Hifiman story.
Oh I know the HM-801; I almost bought one way back then! But instead, I got on the AK train and bought the 100 and after that, the 120 Titan after that too. It was all AK for me in those days; the 802 and 901 had more features but Chifi wasn't as well... appealing then.

I didn't mean that Hifiman dabbled on DAPs as experiments, but in the case of the HM1K, it does seem (to me) a bit like an experiment (why didn't they just make more R2R2K with the rest of their PCM1704K stash?) or else, worse, an abandoned project. Either way, I am glad they make the HM1K, it is now my favorite DAC/DAP. And I have the Tera Player too; good fun, but even more pain to use!

May 19, 2022 at 7:30 PM Post #407 of 585
The 428 is a good amp. I did not like it with my HM1K and got the Aroma A100TB+PSU, which I think is a better match. Coincidentally, it's almost the same footprint so whilst portability is an issue (though I do not listen on the move), it is at least neatly stacked. I know someone on here who uses the same Aroma power stack with his P6 Pro and thinks that is a good match too. I recently picked up an Origa, like @RPKwan; it's still burning in but already sounds pretty good with interchangeable tubes and op amps.

When you say USB, do you mean OTG? Hmm. I don't use that with the HM1K as it is finicky with a single Lightning/USB-C to USB-C interconnect. Instead Hifiman suggests using the Apply USB-C to USB-A into an Apple adapter with USB-A female to Lightning. So I just use BT from iPod to HM1K to play off the SD card through the app.

For the amount of money you will spend on doing the mod, why not consider selling the dual and getting the quad? IMO, 2 more PCM1704K will make more difference than the caps (good caps are just too big for the HM1K chassis) and batteries, and op amps could still be added. I did not know op amps are interchangeable, I wouldn't mind doing that if someone could do it reliably. Would be a shame if the HM1K is damaged in the process! 😱

Oh I know the HM-801; I almost bought one way back then! But instead, I got on the AK train and bought the 100 and after that, the 120 Titan after that too. It was all AK for me in those days; the 802 and 901 had more features but Chifi wasn't as well... appealing then.

I didn't mean that Hifiman dabbled on DAPs as experiments, but in the case of the HM1K, it does seem (to me) a bit like an experiment (why didn't they just make more R2R2K with the rest of their PCM1704K stash?) or else, worse, an abandoned project. Either way, I am glad they make the HM1K, it is now my favorite DAC/DAP. And I have the Tera Player too; good fun, but even more pain to use!
mainly because i don't want a device that's relying on a phone to play and seems to have bad QC when it comes to it's bluetooth etc.

I'd much rather have a tiny dap i can carry around anywhere

May 19, 2022 at 7:46 PM Post #408 of 585
mainly because i don't want a device that's relying on a phone to play and seems to have bad QC when it comes to it's bluetooth etc.

I'd much rather have a tiny dap i can carry around anywhere
Are you referring to the HM1K, R2R2K or P6 Pro? The HM1K is the smaller than the R2R2K and the best (Quad edition) in that direction. I don't mind, and never have BT problems, controlling from an iPod or iPhone since it's definitely a better UX/UI and playing off the SD card is not compromise on SQ. I never considered the P6 Pro because if I were to get an LP, which I am still on the fence about (do I want the same operating problems for maybe around the same sound as the HM1K-Q?!), it would have be the LP6 Ti at the least. With the internal power, it will probably be the smallest DAP that I can accept on a standalone mode, ie no amp.

May 19, 2022 at 11:43 PM Post #409 of 585
dual pcm1704k, but can be standalone dap :)
and yes i don't think so too, but caps, cables op amps and batteries can make a difference in overall enjoyment
R2R2K having the standalone DAP feature is the main draw for me as I don't want to have to tether the player to a smartphone.

Q-6

May 20, 2022 at 6:53 AM Post #410 of 585
Are you referring to the HM1K, R2R2K or P6 Pro? The HM1K is the smaller than the R2R2K and the best (Quad edition) in that direction. I don't mind, and never have BT problems, controlling from an iPod or iPhone since it's definitely a better UX/UI and playing off the SD card is not compromise on SQ. I never considered the P6 Pro because if I were to get an LP, which I am still on the fence about (do I want the same operating problems for maybe around the same sound as the HM1K-Q?!), it would have be the LP6 Ti at the least. With the internal power, it will probably be the smallest DAP that I can accept on a standalone mode, ie no amp.
HM1K is not smaller than R2R2K? It’s the other way round?

May 20, 2022 at 7:35 AM Post #412 of 585
i don't know man i've heard a good chunk of people losing their hm1k to mere QC.. and while it has 4 dacs instead of two, i'm not sure the sq jump which i doubt is big, is worth losing the extra portablitiy and chance of getting a bad hm1k

May 20, 2022 at 8:01 AM Post #413 of 585
i don't know man i've heard a good chunk of people losing their hm1k to mere QC.. and while it has 4 dacs instead of two, i'm not sure the sq jump which i doubt is big, is worth losing the extra portablitiy and chance of getting a bad hm1k
You are referring to the R2R2K and the HM1K Quad? From my memory, the sound difference is audible. And there are no more HM1K in production so whatever is floating in the market is all there is; quite collectible imo. Try it if you get a chance. But otherwise yeah, I wouldn't advise buying blind.

May 20, 2022 at 8:04 AM Post #414 of 585
You are referring to the R2R2K and the HM1K Quad? From my memory, the sound difference is audible. And there are no more HM1K in production so whatever is floating in the market is all there is; quite collectible imo. Try it if you get a chance. But otherwise yeah, I wouldn't advise buying blind.
yes, the r2r2k isn't in production either i think.

May 20, 2022 at 8:04 AM Post #415 of 585
091D43A4-DAB7-48FC-B54A-76A8D6CB7062.jpeg

An awesome combo, as good as it gets imho.

May 20, 2022 at 9:12 AM Post #416 of 585
091D43A4-DAB7-48FC-B54A-76A8D6CB7062.jpeg
An awesome combo, as good as it gets imho.
Where can I buy that Origa amp ? Google do not show prices or shops where I could test/but it

May 20, 2022 at 9:23 AM Post #417 of 585
Pico Audio suspend
Where can I buy that Origa amp ? Google do not show prices or shops where I could test/but it
Pico Audio suspended production because of components shortage.

May 20, 2022 at 10:46 AM Post #418 of 585
yes, the r2r2k isn't in production either i think.
Yeah, you could be right, I do not see any of these PCC DAPs offered in the HM store.

Pico Audio suspend
Pico Audio suspended production because of components shortage.
The SE model ran out about a month ago, and now awaiting for components restock; Ming (Pico Audio) thinks it could be anywhere from 3 to 6 months. They did have the parts to do the modded version, which is what I got. Upgrade batteries, wires, Duelund capacitors, Audio Note resistors, Sonic Imagery Labs 994 Enh-Ticha op amp, etc. You can contact Ming or Sam on CAS (HKG) for more info on Facebook.

7E872F0E-A8EB-4799-B305-84EB683D663B.jpeg

May 20, 2022 at 11:18 AM Post #419 of 585
Yeah, you could be right, I do not see any of these PCC DAPs offered in the HM store.

The SE model ran out about a month ago, and now awaiting for components restock; Ming (Pico Audio) thinks it could be anywhere from 3 to 6 months. They did have the parts to do the modded version, which is what I got. Upgrade batteries, wires, Duelund capacitors, Audio Note resistors, Sonic Imagery Labs 994 Enh-Ticha op amp, etc. You can contact Ming or Sam on CAS (HKG) for more info on Facebook.

7E872F0E-A8EB-4799-B305-84EB683D663B.jpeg
isn't SE the modded version?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back