Hifiman HM1000: Worlds first Quad PCM 1704 DAP
May 19, 2022 at 8:32 AM Post #391 of 585
I can’t tell you that, don’t have an R2R2K to compare, although the HO in and by itself shouldn’t have an noticeable impact on the SQ right? What mod are you doing?

I think if you could catch a good deal, you should seriously consider. There are no more PCM1704K chips and they are still at the top of the ladder, R2R wise. 😉 You just have to be willing to bear with app and OS.
wait if you don't have the r2r2k then how'd you compare? or did you demo in the past? the r2r2k is 1704k too.

mods honestly i don't know yet, sent to npaudio, guessing more caps, thicker cables, maybe op amp change and bigger battery is a must if they can change that.

And if somehow there's a way in turning the amp to class A.. I'll have to go for it, class A surprised me with how much better it is.

have you tried both black and gold hm1k?

Last edited:
May 19, 2022 at 9:05 AM Post #392 of 585
wait if you don't have the r2r2k then how'd you compare? or did you demo in the past? the r2r2k is 1704k too.

mods honestly i don't know yet, sent to npaudio, guessing more caps, thicker cables, maybe op amp change and bigger battery is a must if they can change that.

And if somehow there's a way in turning the amp to class A.. I'll have to go for it, class A surprised me with how much better it is.

I've had R2RK and currently have HM1k quad - no comparison. It's more resolving, quieter and all around much better, I don't know where you read it's the opposite but I can attest there is no comparison.

The software is bonkers but with all the different use-cases I think it's pretty flexible and somehow future proof. I love using LO to my Pico Origa amp.

May 19, 2022 at 9:11 AM Post #393 of 585
I've had R2RK and currently have HM1k quad - no comparison. It's more resolving, quieter and all around much better, I don't know where you read it's the opposite but I can attest there is no comparison.

The software is bonkers but with all the different use-cases I think it's pretty flexible and somehow future proof. I love using LO to my Pico Origa amp.
thank you

May 19, 2022 at 11:48 AM Post #394 of 585
lets enjoy them for what they do best than be aggravated by what they suck at
I think almost opposite — let's press on Hifiman to fix such annoying things like lack of playing without repeat mode in almost 5k$ player.

They can't easy replace a stupid glass that looks like a screen, that just collects a fingerprints (and they also leave it open in leather cases!) or add pay/pause button on hardware, but they can update their app.

A best solution would be to have this software as open source. Community can better software if Hifiman have no resources for it, but I understand that is too radical step and perhaps not possible due license limitations. But we are, users of Hifiman players can press their support.

May 19, 2022 at 11:53 AM Post #395 of 585

I have heard the R2R2K and decided on the HM1K, which I now own, the Quad. But I must say I no longer remember the R2R2K enough to give you detailed comparisons.

I don’t think there’s space to make significant mods, but I could be wrong. Best thing to do is get a good ext amp, which is what I've done. 😊

[Edit: Is the Black the dual PCM1704K or the older version of the quad? Anyway, I did not listen to the dual, went straight for the quad.]

Last edited:
May 19, 2022 at 11:56 AM Post #396 of 585
I think almost opposite — let's press on Hifiman to fix such annoying things like lack of playing without repeat mode in almost 5k$ player.

They can't easy replace a stupid glass that looks like a screen, that just collects a fingerprints (and they also leave it open in leather cases!) or add pay/pause button on hardware, but they can update their app.

A best solution would be to have this software as open source. Community can better software if Hifiman have no resources for it, but I understand that is too radical step and perhaps not possible due license limitations. But we are, users of Hifiman players can press their support.
I would love to see Hifiman do that but honestly, I think there’s close to zero chance of that even coming close to happening. Players are just not anywhere close to making enough money for them to bother. Frankly I’ve resigned to living with it. Hours of just updating an SD card. 😣 To me, the SQ is worth it. YMMV…

May 19, 2022 at 12:07 PM Post #397 of 585
I must admit the remote app and OS of the HM1K is as dogsh*t as the sound is good. With up to 4x PCM1704K in an R2R configuration, only the LP6 and it’s variants with up to 4x AD5790 is on par in terms of DAC performance. Amp wise, well, LP wins hands down, but they have OS issues of their own to contend with too snd doesn’t offer streaming capabilities or other iOS/Android perks.

On sheer sound quality, it is my most honest opinion, that there is no portable DAC/DAP better than the HM1K and LP6 and their respective variants today. I say lets enjoy them for what they do best than be aggravated by what they suck at… 😬
out of curiosity, have you compared P6 Pro with HMK (4x) both on LO and by them selves? Ive been currious about this comparo for a while tbh

May 19, 2022 at 12:11 PM Post #398 of 585
Hours of just updating an SD card.
You can shorten it to minutes, using HIFIMAN Remote PC Assistant and it worth to have a separate PC for it, if you using Mac and update your library frequently. But HIFIMAN Remote PC Assistant still don't have English interface! Literally 15 minutes of work, but they don't did it. It also have far from optimum design. Nobody need to have a list of old indexes. It should contain just ONE button — scan and should generate QR code after scan without pressing something else. They definitely need the help of a professional UX designer.

May 19, 2022 at 12:41 PM Post #399 of 585
out of curiosity, have you compared P6 Pro with HMK (4x) both on LO and by them selves? Ive been currious about this comparo for a while tbh
I've not heard the P6 Pro, don't know anyone who has that and the HM1K Quad, which on its own, IMO, is good enough to power all but the demanding IEMS. Really depends on your expectations; for me, I like the headroom that an ext amp provides so the DAC is fully able to flex all its muscles, if that makes any sense to you. Not sure what DAC chips P6 Pro uses, but I know the AD5790 on the LP6 and its variants are comparable to the PCM1704K and with its built-in power, it's probably the best standalone portable DAP in the market today.

May 19, 2022 at 12:46 PM Post #400 of 585
I've not heard the P6 Pro, don't know anyone who has that and the HM1K Quad, which on its own, IMO, is good enough to power all but the demanding IEMS. Really depends on your expectations; for me, I like the headroom that an ext amp provides so the DAC is fully able to flex all its muscles, if that makes any sense to you. Not sure what DAC chips P6 Pro uses, but I know the AD5790 on the LP6 and its variants are comparable to the PCM1704K and with its built-in power, it's probably the best standalone portable DAP in the market today.

The p6 pro is a completely discrete ladder, not chip based. And I asked about LO cause I occasionally use it as a desktop dac into my desktop amps.

May 19, 2022 at 12:49 PM Post #401 of 585
You can shorten it to minutes, using HIFIMAN Remote PC Assistant and it worth to have a separate PC for it, if you using Mac and update your library frequently. But HIFIMAN Remote PC Assistant still don't have English interface! Literally 15 minutes of work, but they don't did it. It also have far from optimum design. Nobody need to have a list of old indexes. It should contain just ONE button — scan and should generate QR code after scan without pressing something else. They definitely need the help of a professional UX designer.
Unfortunately I am all Mac at work and home, no access to a PC and don't really want to get one just for it. I am thinking of trimming my amount of stuff on the HM1K, maybe to music that I listen to most often, maybe down to 300Gb or so, which would probably still be 2-3 hours to update.

Again, just like LP, these companies are run by eccentric proprietors who are enthusiasts and passionate about the sound, not the UX/Ui or other experiential necessities that are bells and whistles to them. More so for Hifiman, whose core business is in headphones; the players are like experimental projects to them! I really cannot see them doing any more about making the app or firmware better.

May 19, 2022 at 12:55 PM Post #402 of 585
The p6 pro is a completely discrete ladder, not chip based. And I asked about LO cause I occasionally use it as a desktop dac into my desktop amps.
Hmm I did not know that. The P6 Pro was not a consideration so I have never really bothered to find out more about it. But I know people who amp their P6 pro and have come to like it more that way.

May 19, 2022 at 1:07 PM Post #403 of 585
Hmm I did not know that. The P6 Pro was not a consideration so I have never really bothered to find out more about it. But I know people who amp their P6 pro and have come to like it more that way.

Yah, I have a p6p and have played with external amps extensively. Desktop wise it's totaly doable to surpass the internal amp on a technical level (though I'm yet to find anything with a similar sound). Portable it's a hut harder to pass it technicaly with only the masskobo 428 doing it for me so far. Portable amps I have more so used for synergy matching rather than outright increased technicalities.

Tbh the only real reason I'm too interested in the hmk is because the usb input of the p6p is pretty rough imo being several tiers below the sq level of internal storage. Having a device that's maybe slightly worse in best case but doesn't take that hit for usb input would be pretty nice imo

May 19, 2022 at 1:11 PM Post #404 of 585
I have heard the R2R2K and decided on the HM1K, which I now own, the Quad. But I must say I no longer remember the R2R2K enough to give you detailed comparisons.

I don’t think there’s space to make significant mods, but I could be wrong. Best thing to do is get a good ext amp, which is what I've done. 😊

[Edit: Is the Black the dual PCM1704K or the older version of the quad? Anyway, I did not listen to the dual, went straight for the quad.]
dual pcm1704k, but can be standalone dap :)
and yes i don't think so too, but caps, cables op amps and batteries can make a difference in overall enjoyment

May 19, 2022 at 1:13 PM Post #405 of 585
Unfortunately I am all Mac at work and home, no access to a PC and don't really want to get one just for it. I am thinking of trimming my amount of stuff on the HM1K, maybe to music that I listen to most often, maybe down to 300Gb or so, which would probably still be 2-3 hours to update.

Again, just like LP, these companies are run by eccentric proprietors who are enthusiasts and passionate about the sound, not the UX/Ui or other experiential necessities that are bells and whistles to them. More so for Hifiman, whose core business is in headphones; the players are like experimental projects to them! I really cannot see them doing any more about making the app or firmware better.
Perhaps you don't know that Hifiman start to develop "world's first audiophile music player" HM-801 in 2008, just year later after firm was established. For many of mobile audio enthusiasts they are associated more with their DAPs, than headphones. They also had a large selection of models from very basic to complex. They looks like a evolving products, rather than experiments. You can neglect of design if you making something hand build on demand like Altmann Tera Player, but it's definitely not Hifiman story.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back