HiFiMAN HM-901 visit pg 18. IMGS pg 19. NEW beta FW 1st page. . to the 901s. .new 901s FW .
Nov 12, 2013 at 9:36 AM Post #1,546 of 3,445

Any particular pattern to the freezes - I know you said random but completely random?

I've actually only used the reset once but that was back in 1.074 dodgy cue, and I had a cue file. I've not needed to hit reset since.

if i recall correctly , the occasions were (using new firmware)

1. the freeze happened while playing a 16/44 flac album, the player has been playing for around 1 hour already.... after several resets using a toothpick..... it still hung as soon as I pressed play.... what i did was taking out the sd card (it was a micro sd to sd card adapter)...put it back in and it started working again...

2. i was walking home  using a 128 gb sd card this time, when i got home the player suddenly got frozen... i took the sd card out, put it in the computer and there was this "write protection error"... formatted the card again and the card is now playing normally on the 901 again....

I use sandisk....

in the last firmware, when it hung it would automatically switched off the machin... now it just stuck on the same screen...

I no longer use cue files after reading cue support in this firmware would cause the device behaves abnormally....

also, I am extremely cautious when using 901 e.g. avoid rain, checking if it is too warm, put it in a case.... but come to think about it... it really defeats the purpose of a portable device...

Nov 12, 2013 at 9:51 AM Post #1,547 of 3,445
  Well, I see we have an official dealer in Europe and the price is acceptable, not like usual Eu ripoffs because the product comes from overseas. So I have to admit, it made me think about it again, should I wait more and buy HM901 for the ultimate end. Then all those build quality issues, firmware problems, battery life etc etc pushed me away. Funny though, I have no problem with it's size.

At the end we come to the ultimate balance, how much we are willing to sacrifice for sound quality? Surely it depends on person, in my case, I am not gonna throw away everything for the best ever sounding dap.

Too bad, we can't have the best of both worlds.

I dont know...  the best portable rig now is RWAK120-b + a balance amp e.g. the rsa lightning if money allows...lets see until the next wave of DAPs appear...

Also, I am planning to upgrade my desktop rig early next year.... i.e. adding a pair of planar phones into my collection and a balance amp....for the planar phones, I read that he500 seems to be the best value... but again, I am worried about quality.................................

Nov 12, 2013 at 10:35 AM Post #1,548 of 3,445
After organizing my folders like this: genre > artist > album > tracks, then I have found that the dysfunctional tag browsing is not a problem. I would of course have liked that it worked flawlessly, but as it is with folder browsing it gets the job done nicely.

x2. No problem with folder browsing at all. No freezes whatever so. I am using a 128GB Sandisk SDXC by the way.

Also the latest firmware has sped up boot time significantly, from around a minute or so down to just 15 seconds.

Nov 12, 2013 at 10:51 AM Post #1,549 of 3,445
I like the way the new card is sounding. It opens up the sound and allows for some nice layering on music that didn't have too much of it before. Tonal range seems to be right on. 

Nov 12, 2013 at 12:04 PM Post #1,551 of 3,445
I've been really enjoying my replacement 901 these past few days - it's nice having a volume control that doesn't cut out a channel!  One bonus is that the replacement came with an IEM amp card, which I already have.  If anyone is interested, I'll be selling the additional IEM amp card.  Will have it up for sale soon if anyone is interested in acquiring an IEM card.

Nov 12, 2013 at 1:00 PM Post #1,552 of 3,445
 Hi again.
I see that there are two prices for the 901.About $1200.00,from one hand,and  $999.00,from the other,which I found in AC  Gears. http://www.acgears.com/sound/amplifiers/hifiman-hm901-reference-music-player
Is there a catch in the second offer?

Nov 12, 2013 at 2:42 PM Post #1,554 of 3,445
The dock is now advertised for $299 as a preorder for delivery in 2014, but with no month or date mentioned ...

http://www.acgears.com/sound/amplifiers/hifiman-hm901-dock

Nov 12, 2013 at 2:47 PM Post #1,555 of 3,445
  It will only include the standard amp card. The other offer must have another included.

Fixed that
evil_smiley.gif

The HM-901's selling for $1199, $1279 etc. only has the mentioned amp card wherever I have seen them for sale. The Standard amp card is not included with the MiniBox, Balanced or IEM + HM-901 packages. Unless you buy the standard unit for $999 and adds the extra amp card...

Nov 13, 2013 at 4:19 PM Post #1,556 of 3,445
Looking through the thread, I get the impression that the "Vintage" setting, compared to the "HD" setting, rolls of the highs some.  Do most folks hear much of a difference?  I'm hard pressed to hear it.  Then again my ears may be shot after too many concerts back in the day!

Nov 13, 2013 at 5:37 PM Post #1,558 of 3,445
I frankly don't notice any change in sound either. If there is any, it's small.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back