HiFiMAN HM-901 visit pg 18. IMGS pg 19. NEW beta FW 1st page. . to the 901s. .new 901s FW .
Sep 16, 2013 at 4:53 AM Post #1,276 of 3,445
I appreciate the some of the comments here
Yesterday I went to listen the hm-901 and made a short comparison with my DX100 and C4
the DX100 seems to be kind of similar to the 901 sound overall as they use the same DAC chip ES9018(but 901 has two), while C4 sounds very different to 901 and dx100 in terms of imaging and soundstage

I found the 901 has a more punchy bottom end to the 901, but 901 does not lack bass, it has a deep and dynamic bass, however it's a little bit tight than the 901s
C4 does not have the bass quality compared to 901 and dx100 but it's also very good.
the human voice from 901 is absolutely amazing, it's very engaging and forward. I can clearly distinguish that the vocal density from 901 is better than the dx100 a bit. dx100 produces a relatively flat mid range, so from the point of realism i would go for dx100 coz it sounds like real human voice although it's not that engaging compared to the 901
C4 has a smooth and forward mid range, I feel a little bit grainy, and a little bit more spacious sound to the 901. I like the vocal of C4 best.

All of them have good highs, but the dx100 will sound more airy than the other two, as it has a slightly better extension on the top end. So dx100 will have a little bit sparkling highs than the 901 and C4. The soundstage is really wide on dx100, C4 is also good as well. The 901 has a more sort of refined sound signature overall, it's neither dark nor bright, so i would say 901 has the best coherence among the three. Dx100 is a little bit "V" shape but it's not clearly a disadvantage as u will get more spacious sound, that makes the soundstage wider and i can hear the distance between different musical instruments when listening to Jazz or classical

What was the 901 amp board you demo'ed?

Sep 16, 2013 at 6:02 PM Post #1,279 of 3,445
I received my Hifiman 901 about a week ago from audioadvisor.com I think it sounds great with my Sennheiser HD600. The only problem is the battery. When fully charged, I am able to play music for about 2 hours max and then it dies. I contacted them and they will replace the player for me. They mentioned that this is not an isolated case. They had a couple of customers with the same problem. Have anyone here had the same problem with the battery?

Sep 17, 2013 at 1:59 AM Post #1,281 of 3,445

MHP, they all can't be 901's. Can you please fix this so it makes sense...

THX

Maybe he has a couple of 901's. 

Sep 17, 2013 at 3:59 AM Post #1,282 of 3,445
I received my Hifiman 901 about a week ago from audioadvisor
.com
 I think it sounds great with my Sennheiser HD600. The only problem is the battery. When fully charged, I am able to play music for about 2 hours max and then it dies. I contacted them and they will replace the player for me. They mentioned that this is not an isolated case. They had a couple of customers with the same problem. Have anyone here had the same problem with the battery?
Maybe you're charging the player for less time than needed. I read that the battery has two stages. high current (with the green light of the charger on) and low current (with the light off). Fred from stereodesk told me via email that you'll get a full charge around 8-9 hours with the player turn off. Give it a try and report back if it's the case that you unplug the player when green light turns off.

Sep 17, 2013 at 4:52 AM Post #1,283 of 3,445
Mine seems arrived yesterday morning (Saturday) and it's been hold by the building manager till Monday... I requested my Fusion with a regular plug in 'L'... I hope that it's not magnetic. How could I check if it's magnetic or not? Well, I mean how should I test it.

You can rest assured than any Oyaide product, or Cardas, or several other name brands, have gone to great lengths to eradicate anything magnetic, I've tested those.  Such as the right angle plug on Fernando's cable.  Although the IEM plugs are very slightly magnetic.  

I checked the plug connector of my DHC Fusion IEM cable (Oyaide Gold right angle) with a magnet and it doesn't attract the plug. :)

Great improvement over stock cable of the SE535... I mean GREAT!!! I can't wait till the SE846 arrives.

@scootermafia I love how it looks!

Sep 17, 2013 at 1:07 PM Post #1,285 of 3,445
Well, My order for the IEM card from Moon Audio was also declined. 
mad.gif

I don't understand why  Head-Direct had no issue selling me the HM-901 with balanced card but wouldn't let me buy the IEM card. 
confused.gif

Anybody know where I could smuggle an IEM card from?

Sep 17, 2013 at 1:15 PM Post #1,286 of 3,445
  Well, My order for the IEM card from Moon Audio was also declined. 
mad.gif

I don't understand why  Head-Direct had no issue selling me the HM-901 with balanced card but wouldn't let me buy the IEM card. 
confused.gif

Anybody know where I could smuggle an IEM card from?

Out of curiosity, why did Moon Audio decline your IEM card order?  I bought my 901 w/IEM card about a month ago from them.

Sep 17, 2013 at 1:18 PM Post #1,287 of 3,445
 Have you emailed the Boss direct his name at MoonAudio is Drew and he seems to be a good person to deal with.

The other thought is that the std card for the 901 has been removed and they now  supply the IEM card instead which I have in my player as standard.

The 901 is in short supply so I guess the IEM cards are as well.

Sep 17, 2013 at 1:47 PM Post #1,289 of 3,445
I have been in touch with Drew from Moon Audio and he said Hifiman won't allow it and that was unlikely to change in the future. He suggested contacting the Japanese distributor but I have no idea who they are.

Sep 17, 2013 at 1:49 PM Post #1,290 of 3,445
yes it could be or a dodge battery - let us all know how you go on. But I understand the 901 is out of stock. Maybe ask them to send you a new battery also have you updated the firmware to 1.081
I am told this helps. Good luck with your unit 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back