HiFiMAN HM-901 visit pg 18. IMGS pg 19. NEW beta FW 1st page. . to the 901s. .new 901s FW .
Aug 3, 2013 at 8:40 PM Post #826 of 3,445
Quote:
Did you tried A-B test, same file, slowest card vs. fastest?
If there's no diference it means that there is a buffer or a resampling working on.
In the digital audio one of the most critical aspects is the synchronicity. You had a data that needs to be delivered in exactly some point in time with the lowest delay possible at the moment required. The jitter is the "noise" produced by a-synchronicity. A faster card will help to archive that if you get the data straight forward from the card and convert it to an analogical signal without any other processing in between (the case of the Tera Player that is minimalistic).
It's not about how fast you can start playing a file.

I did.  Test were done with two 24/192 FLACs on all cards (except for the 128gb kington class 10, all cards with just these 2 files on root folder only).  One is Hotel California, and the other Mozart Violin Concerto No.4 from 2L.no sample page.

Sound quality wise I cannot tell a different.  Even the track starting speed or the seeking (FF/RW) there is no noticeable difference.  I also included a sandisk micro sdxc 64gb I'm using in my AK120 with stock SD adapter, also cannot tell a different.  Even directly comparing the slowest Sony and the fastest sandisk extreme pro I cannot tell.  

Of course I'm still buying faster card just simply because I want to have faster write speed when transferring music.  The extreme pro does writes much faster :)   

(For those who want to try, seems the 901 don't like hotswapping the cards.  I got a "SD Card Error.  Reboot in 3 seconds" thing after hotswapping in another card.  The error persist after reboots.  It is only fixed until I boot it up with the earlier card before the swap, shut down, and then put in the new card to boot up again. )

Aug 3, 2013 at 8:46 PM Post #827 of 3,445
I did.  Test were done with two 24/192 FLACs on all cards (except for the 128gb kington class 10, all cards with just these 2 files on root folder only).  One is Hotel California, and the other Mozart Violin Concerto No.4 from 2L.no sample page.

Sound quality wise I cannot tell a different.  Even the track starting speed or the seeking (FF/RW) there is no noticeable difference.  I also included a sandisk micro sdxc 64gb I'm using in my AK120 with stock SD adapter, also cannot tell a different.  Even directly comparing the slowest Sony and the fastest sandisk extreme pro I cannot tell.  

Of course I'm still buying faster card just simply because I want to have faster write speed when transferring music.  The extreme pro does writes much faster :)   

(For those who want to try, seems the 901 don't like hotswapping the cards.  I got a "SD Card Error.  Reboot in 3 seconds" thing after hotswapping in another card.  The error persist after reboots.  It is only fixed until I boot it up with the earlier card before the swap, shut down, and then put in the new card to boot up again. )

between the 45 mb/s sandisk extreme and the 95 mb/s sandisk extreme pro, do you feel the write speed of the extreme pro is worth the money over the "regular" extreme? Is the pro that much faster than the regular extreme?

Aug 3, 2013 at 8:52 PM Post #828 of 3,445
Seems like 901 has a safety feature. Yesterday when my 901 suddenly turned off, I thought the battery was flat. Today tried to power it on but to no avail. I decided to remove the battery pack and to my horror the balanced amp card somehow got poped out of the safety latch. I clipped it back on, battery went back in and powered on my device. Fortunately the safety short circuit implementation was good :)

Aug 3, 2013 at 8:53 PM Post #829 of 3,445
Quote:
between the 45 mb/s sandisk extreme and the 95 mb/s sandisk extreme pro, do you feel the write speed of the extreme pro is worth the money over the "regular" extreme? Is the pro that much faster than the regular extreme?

Even if you're using USB 3.0, it's going to typically max out around ~70 mb/s sustained write anyway. YMMV.

Aug 3, 2013 at 9:01 PM Post #830 of 3,445
Quote:

The Extreme Pro was mainly for use with my Olympus OMD-EM5 and the speed is worth when trying doing burst mode to clear buffer asap and maintain the continuous frame rate.

For other application, imho not it's not worth.

Also re the hotswapping, would like to add that it happen if a song is playing or being paused (icon in triangle/||).  Hotswapping is okay once all tracks are played and the icon is in a square/STOP mode.

Aug 3, 2013 at 9:08 PM Post #831 of 3,445
The Extreme Pro was mainly for use with my Olympus OMD-EM5 and the speed is worth when trying doing burst mode to clear buffer asap and maintain the continuous frame rate.

For other application, imho not it's not worth.

Also re the hotswapping, would like to add that it happen if a song is playing or being paused (icon in triangle/||).  Hotswapping is okay once all tracks are played and the icon is in a square/STOP mode.

Thanks, I think I will just get this.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006ZH1WVS/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AMX7AP8KFUEIH

Aug 3, 2013 at 9:15 PM Post #832 of 3,445
Quote:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006ZH1WVS/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AMX7AP8KFUEIH

Here's a better price ($127.56) with free shipping included. http://www.rakuten.com/prod/228241677.html

biggrin.gif

Aug 3, 2013 at 9:15 PM Post #833 of 3,445
Quote:

I was all set to get this also until I came across the kingston 128gb class 10 for slightly less than $99.  Been always getting Sandisk CF/SD/micro sd as they never died on me (knock knock)..... hope this kingston can pass the test of time.  I still won't trust any brand other than sandisk or maybe lexer for photography or mobile phone use. 

Aug 3, 2013 at 9:18 PM Post #834 of 3,445
Quote:

I was all set to get this also until I came across the kingston 128gb class 10 for slightly less than $99.  Been always getting Sandisk CF/SD/micro sd as they never died on me (knock knock)..... hope this kingston can pass the test of time.  I still won't trust any brand other than sandisk or maybe lexer for photography or mobile phone use. 

Yep, I only use Sandisk myself for reliability. Never had one fail yet.

Aug 3, 2013 at 9:21 PM Post #836 of 3,445

I have it. Kingston is a top brand just like Sandisk.

Aug 3, 2013 at 9:33 PM Post #837 of 3,445
Quote:
I have it. Kingston is a top brand just like Sandisk.

Yes.  Kingston is great value as it also get good rep on stability and warranty....

I almost went for this:
http://www.amazon.com/Komputerbay-Secure-Digital-Extended-Capacity/dp/B008AN1C1A/ref=sr_1_16

Aug 3, 2013 at 10:03 PM Post #839 of 3,445
Quote:
oh wow! Is this where you got yours?

I buy just about anywhere except amazon. You would be suprised, they are hardly ever the cheapest place around.

Aug 3, 2013 at 10:21 PM Post #840 of 3,445
Quote:
Looks like there is something fishy going on with this brand though

Yea that's why I went for Kingston instead (plus the fact I can get the Kingston at under $99 from a local brick and mortar retailer).  

Was thinking since I'm only copying music to it and can find out if it work for this purpose rather quickly and worst case is a refund/RMA with Amazon... if it is $75 vs $150 it make some sense to risk, but for $75 vs $95 I would go with Kingston all day long.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back