HiFiMAN HM-901 visit pg 18. IMGS pg 19. NEW beta FW 1st page. . to the 901s. .new 901s FW .
Jun 28, 2017 at 9:15 AM Post #3,424 of 3,445
There is a HM901S thread which is why this thread is long time "dead", but there isn't a lot going on in the newer either, since it's not a new product any longer. I have the 901S with Balanced amp card and find it sounding very nice. Would have liked a EQ function, but that's all I complain about regarding sound.

https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/hifiman-hm901s-new-flagship-dap.748337/

Jul 31, 2017 at 5:25 AM Post #3,426 of 3,445
Is there any reason as to why this needs to "Prepare SD Card" everytime its turned on?
It does the same on my HM901s. It's another way of saying "reading database" I guess.
However, if it says "updating media database" everytime you start the player (without changes to the files) and it runs for several minutes, then something is wrong with the tags.

Jul 31, 2017 at 5:55 AM Post #3,427 of 3,445
It does the same on my HM901s. It's another way of saying "reading database" I guess.
However, if it says "updating media database" everytime you start the player (without changes to the files) and it runs for several minutes, then something is wrong with the tags.
Thanks!

It does not run for a long time it just seems odd to do this every start up. I wish there was an option for auto or manual scan.

Jul 31, 2017 at 6:34 AM Post #3,428 of 3,445
Thanks!

It does not run for a long time it just seems odd to do this every start up. I wish there was an option for auto or manual scan.
I think it's one of the reasons HiFiMan came up with the HM901s. With the newer DAP you can turn it completely off, in which case it works like the older HM901, or you can turn it off in a fast sleep-like mode where start-up time is about two or three seconds. This means that during the day you have a super quick start-up. This is at a slight expense of battery-time. If you leave the DAP in quick on/off mode for several days, the battery might be drained when you try to turn it on again. In practice I turn it completely off when not in use (during the night or days when not in use). After I have turned it on the first time on a given day, I use quick on/off mode until evening where I will turn it completely off again and charge the battery.

Oct 6, 2017 at 12:09 AM Post #3,429 of 3,445
So my HM901 just get's stuck on "spidf input mode connected" any time I try to use the SPIDF output into another dac :/ won't let me play files or do much of anything. Any one have any insight? I'm running the latest firmware

Oct 6, 2017 at 7:59 PM Post #3,430 of 3,445
So my HM901 just get's stuck on "spidf input mode connected" any time I try to use the SPIDF output into another dac :/ won't let me play files or do much of anything. Any one have any insight? I'm running the latest firmware
Not sure but, if you need another HM901 with balanced card I have one for sale on eBay. I might put it on here to.

Oct 7, 2017 at 8:27 AM Post #3,432 of 3,445
With the DAC function (S/PDIF input) I think HiFiMan is saying: "This DAP is so good that it doesn't make sense to output S/PDIF to an external DAC."

And you managed to change the setting again to normal playback function it seems...

Oct 21, 2017 at 1:55 AM Post #3,433 of 3,445
Hello all. I'll be joining the 901s club here shortly and have just a few questions that I'm hoping to find some info for/regarding to.

The amp I'll be receiving with the player is the mini amp gold. Which from my understanding is great compared to others, what I'm curious about though. Is if anyone has compared the mini gold to the elfidelity balanced and if anyone knows about these amp cards on taobao. I've come across a red Angel card and the blue Angel card. A black UFEEL and a purple card. Going off the description from translate on the purple card, it seems to imply that it could be a discrete balanced amp. Which of course would interest me greatly. The black UFEEL amp didn't make sense from translate so I'm at a loss.

Lastly I also came across a "game" amp and was wondering if anyone has any info or experience with it. So far I know I will buy a balanced amp and also feel possibly the musical amp as its discrete and from reading around should be quite nice. Would the power 2 amp or classical 2 be worth it as well?

Thanks for anything anyone can give me regarding that info. I realized I missed the train but for the del I got, I'm happy just to ride at all.

Regards

P.s. did the scroll speed ever get updated or adjusted from its first incarnation?

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2017 at 3:30 PM Post #3,434 of 3,445
As far as I know the scroll wheel in the S-version is a new type and supposed to be better than the one in the orignial 901. However, I haven't read about different scroll wheels for each model.

Regarding the GAME amp card, there was one for made for the 801 called that. If so, I don't think it will fit a 901/901S. However, it could be made by a third party manufacturer for those who liked this older amp card. Note that this amp has an output impedance of 32 Ohms though...

Sep 30, 2019 at 1:21 PM Post #3,435 of 3,445
Hi guys, do you think it's still worth the 500$ price tag to update to the 901S version in 2019? Or should I just better go in another route like HFM's own R2R2000, LPG or some newer devices? The SQ is all I care about and I actually don't mind 901's sloppy UI and even like the dated retro look of the DAP itself, I just wonder if there're better sounding devices around, because I haven't tried anything other than 901 OG and 801 HFMs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back