HiFiMAN HM-901 visit pg 18. IMGS pg 19. NEW beta FW 1st page. . to the 901s. .new 901s FW .
Mar 19, 2014 at 11:09 PM Post #2,386 of 3,445
Ok, I can hear the fade in. I would assume they can somehow fix this. 

I have read that some feel the AK240 has a larger soundstage. I have not heard the 240, little chance out here in the bush of Alaska where ear buds costing 10 dollars predominate. 

Now, to my ear, the soundstage projected by the balanced card with balanced phones, is pretty large, and not narrow, so how is it that it could be larger? If it stretches out before you and goes ear to ear and then angle out R and L from there, where are these larger soundstages going? I have read of one having a more hollow sound, from another DAP and while large, not realistic while the AK240 is large and realistic but I have been listening to some live music and it seems pretty darn large and full.

Just curious about other findings. 

Sorry about that. Never quite noticed where you were...:blink:

I'll pay particular attention to the soundstage of the AK240 when I next hear it. & I'll come back with brief impressions versus the HM901.:L3000:

Mar 20, 2014 at 12:51 AM Post #2,387 of 3,445
Ok, I can hear the fade in. I would assume they can somehow fix this. 

I have read that some feel the AK240 has a larger soundstage. I have not heard the 240, little chance out here in the bush of Alaska where ear buds costing 10 dollars predominate. 

Now, to my ear, the soundstage projected by the balanced card with balanced phones, is pretty large, and not narrow, so how is it that it could be larger? If it stretches out before you and goes ear to ear and then angle out R and L from there, where are these larger soundstages going? I have read of one having a more hollow sound, from another DAP and while large, not realistic while the AK240 is large and realistic but I have been listening to some live music and it seems pretty darn large and full.

Just curious about other findings. 

To elaborate a bit more on zx1's sound being non realistic, it is not only just the sound stage being "too wide" but also in the texture of sound. Not really sure how to describe it but to me it sounded really "processed" as in having some sort of sfx effect turned on (that is with all sound options on zx1 tuned off). HM901 balanced does a great job in both width and depth while preserving a very full sound.

Sorry about that. Never quite noticed where you were...:blink:

I'll pay particular attention to the soundstage of the AK240 when I next hear it. & I'll come back with brief impressions versus the HM901.:L3000:

Really looking forward to your impression! Be sure to try it with balanced out too. I was about to give up my tg334 as it was really too sensitive for the HM901 balanced but the AK240 breath new life into it.

Mar 20, 2014 at 1:05 AM Post #2,388 of 3,445
To elaborate a bit more on zx1's sound being non realistic, it is not only just the sound stage being "too wide" but also in the texture of sound. Not really sure how to describe it but to me it sounded really "processed" as in having some sort of sfx effect turned on (that is with all sound options on zx1 tuned off). HM901 balanced does a great job in both width and depth while preserving a very full sound.
Really looking forward to your impression! Be sure to try it with balanced out too. I was about to give up my tg334 as it was really too sensitive for the HM901 balanced but the AK240 breath new life into it.

Ah... kkcc... I fear in respect of the balanced sound of the AK240, you will have to wait a bit longer (assuming I get it) because the AK240 does not use the 3.5mm trrs plug but a 2.5mm one. Hence, I would have to get a new balanced cable just to be able to take full advantage of the balanced out... 
frown.gif

Mar 20, 2014 at 1:15 AM Post #2,389 of 3,445
Ah... kkcc... I fear in respect of the balanced sound of the AK240, you will have to wait a bit longer (assuming I get it) because the AK240 does not use the 3.5mm trrs plug but a 2.5mm one. Hence, I would have to get a new balanced cable just to be able to take full advantage of the balanced out... :frowning2:

Yup I got new 2.5mm balanced cables for fitear and jh connectors, and custom made a right angle converter (2.5 trrs balanced female to 3.5 trrs male for 901).

Mar 20, 2014 at 1:29 AM Post #2,390 of 3,445
Yup I got new 2.5mm balanced cables for fitear and jh connectors, and custom made a right angle converter (2.5 trrs balanced female to 3.5 trrs male for 901).

Ah... that's nice. The one I'm particularly interested in hearing about is the converter - where did you get that from?

So, what do you think of the AK240 balanced output?

Mar 20, 2014 at 1:41 AM Post #2,391 of 3,445
Ah... that's nice. The one I'm particularly interested in hearing about is the converter - where did you get that from?

So, what do you think of the AK240 balanced output?

I shared more detailed impression over on the AK240 threads. In a nutshell, I still rate hm901 balanced THE best overall sound from a DAP. I just really need Fang to come up with a less powerful version of the balanced amp that gives the great sound stage and tonality that can be used by sensitive IEMs.

The converter is made by a Chinese workshop and will post more if he decided to productize it. I guess most workshop can make it, just putting the 2.5 female jack into the oyiade 3.5 right angle plug, should be pretty straightforward for most DIYers.

Mar 20, 2014 at 1:51 AM Post #2,392 of 3,445
I shared more detailed impression over on the AK240 threads. In a nutshell, I still rate hm901 balanced THE best overall sound from a DAP. I just really need Fang to come up with a less powerful version of the balanced amp that gives the great sound stage and tonality that can be used by sensitive IEMs.

The converter is made by a Chinese workshop and will post more if he decided to productize it. I guess most workshop can make it, just putting the 2.5 female jack into the oyiade 3.5 right angle plug, should be pretty straightforward for most DIYers.

Noted with thanks! will do a search for your impressions. 
L3000.gif

Mar 20, 2014 at 10:20 AM Post #2,393 of 3,445
New firmware very soon to deal with issues. 

Mar 20, 2014 at 10:54 AM Post #2,394 of 3,445
Could someone who is using the new standard or so call classic card on their 901, kindly advice whether the latch can hold the card in place! As my IEM card can not the classic card. I found the classic card slightly thicker and need the battery to press card down.

Mar 20, 2014 at 11:04 AM Post #2,395 of 3,445
Could someone who is using the new standard or so call classic card on their 901, kindly advice whether the latch can hold the card in place! As my IEM card can not the classic card. I found the classic card slightly thicker and need the battery to press card down.

Mine also don't latch on very securely and is mainly held in place by the battery. But it doesn't came lose when in use so it didn't bothered me.

Mar 20, 2014 at 9:21 PM Post #2,397 of 3,445
My 901 holds the classic card firm in place. It's a replacement unit received early this year. IIRC my old (June 2013) unit didn't...

Mar 21, 2014 at 1:35 AM Post #2,400 of 3,445
The fade in in the beginning of a new-selected track is heard clearly if music starts from the very beginning of the track. An example: One World from Brothers in Arms by Dire Straits. It starts with drum beats that are cut off and this totally ruins the rhythmical feeling on that song.

This of course is only when you select the track. If it is played in sequence, it plays it correctly, as others has noted.
Beside the issue with the fade in at the beginning of the track selected I've found the fade-in effect on the albums in one file with cue file. Even with the cue support off, there's a fade-in effect where it is supposed to be the changing track mark in every track.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back