Hifiman HM-801: what is the "headphone amp board v.2.0"?
Dec 15, 2011 at 8:12 PM Post #17 of 20
I don't know; I'm using full size headphone, AKG 702s, and the blue board sounds great with it.  I've got some Westone 3s and other IEMs, but I just don't like them nearly as much as my AKGs...

Dec 15, 2011 at 10:06 PM Post #18 of 20
Why is the so called amp board for earphone different from the Game Card Amplifier module at Head-Direct website?

GAME stands for GanQi Amp Module for Earphone. It is specially designed to drive low impedance IEM and earbuds that tends to need more current than voltage. This is different from V2 (which is for both earphone and headphone) and Power amp (which is for full sized).

Jan 1, 2012 at 12:29 AM Post #20 of 20
I had the same impression as IH8RDNX. The blue hi gain board really overemphasized the bass. I used my old Sony MDRV6's until my JH13's arrived yesterday. Even with full size phones there was too much bass. With the JH13's it was really unlistenable. I was seriously doubting my choice of the 801.

I put the V2 in tonight, and it makes a world of difference. Much more balanced. I could go for a wee bit more warnth, but it is not off by much.

This makes me wish for real, working EQ. (The EQ in the 801 is pretty useless from my limited experience. It really destroys the overall tonality with even the slightest change from flat.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back