Hifiman HM-700 impressions
Oct 17, 2014 at 12:20 AM Post #121 of 161
If you want expandable memory space (HM-700 only comes in 32GB and 16GB), you can mark out the HM-700.  Don't buy the DAP just for the included RE-400.  And yes, ALL of your listed DAPs playback FLAC; it's just that the HM-700 does NOT playback Hirez.  Good luck with your decision.

Oct 17, 2014 at 8:39 AM Post #122 of 161
If you want expandable memory space (HM-700 only comes in 32GB and 16GB), you can mark out the HM-700.  Don't buy the DAP just for the included RE-400.  And yes, ALL of your listed DAPs playback FLAC; it's just that the HM-700 does NOT playback Hirez.  Good luck with your decision.

Thanks a lot! I guess that you are right. My next big step will be to buy a T70p, and i have a huge collection (probably 10,000 songs). While i don't plan on filling it all, i could have a great amount with both of them

Oct 29, 2014 at 9:43 PM Post #123 of 161
Has anyone any ideas about how to import a playlist into the HM-700 (or create one from within the device)?  I've have mine for several months and haven't figured out how to accomplish this.

Thanks in addvance for any thoughts.

Tom

Nov 7, 2014 at 4:29 AM Post #124 of 161
Hi to all, I join the question: any other impressions on the couple RE272-HM700?

I'd taken a pair of RE272 from a few days and..I'm really interested in balanced configuration..
Actually I'm using them with an iHP228 (H140 with 128GB SSD) RB'd...and I m loving them <.<"

Thanks to all :)

Jan 3, 2015 at 7:57 PM Post #125 of 161
Just got my set today, and have only had time for one album, but wow! Patricia Barber's Modern Cool is one of the best recorded albums ever, and the HM-700 / RE-600 combo made my jaw drop when I played it.

Many people are asking about this versus the DX50,and my thought process may be of interest. I had the DX-50 paired with Noble 4 universals, and I have to say it wasn't a marriage made in heaven. I think the iBasso just couldn't control the iem's well enough. Before this could make me totally crazy, though, my Nobles were stolen and, in a fit of financial prudence, I "replaced" them with Shure SE215's. Which I hated from day one, mostly because of the ridiculously uncomfortable "memory" wires, but also because the darkish sound never appealed. 

I'm about to travel to Asia, and the thought of a very long plane ride with the Shures was more than I could bear. I set my budget around $300 and initially landed on the Dunu DN-2000's, which seem like very nice iem's. I was scared off by some reports of brightness / sibilance, to which I'm very sensitive. After reading this and other threads on the HiFiMan combo, I decided to purchase it and sell the DX50 and the Shures and hope that I come out with an expenditure of around $300.

I'll report more on my listening experience in weeks to come!

Feb 12, 2015 at 4:45 PM Post #127 of 161
I'm really tempted to order the HM-700 16gb + RE-400b combo for $189 based on all of the positive feedback. I just acquired the RE-400 a few weeks ago and like it very much, but currently my iphone 4s is my dap.

One think I'm not quite getting though is how the HM-700 is with non balanced iem's using the adapter cable. Is the general consensus that it is the adapter cable that is a problem, or do non-balanced iem's just not sound as good as compared to other daps? Can anyone clarify this?

If it is just a concern that over time the adapter cable will not hold up, or does either the cable or the player cause other iem's to not sound good?

Mar 13, 2015 at 8:49 AM Post #128 of 161
Here's aftermarket case for HM-700, maybe it will stand someone in good stead..

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Hifiman-for-hm-700-music-player-holsteins-protective-case/32251247622.html

Apr 7, 2015 at 5:46 PM Post #129 of 161
That case would of come in very handy this morning. Blown the driver on my RE600b. uk price £340
I should of known better, after the 700 kept getting turned off in my pocket ( you can`t lock the buttons, well you can but it`s the same button that turns it off )
It was just a matter of time before the volume button got pressed all the way to 40.
I do have another set of RE600`s, liked them that that much with the HM700.
As good as the HM-700 sounds esp with the RE600b I can`t afford to risk using it.

Apr 22, 2015 at 1:22 PM Post #130 of 161
Get yourself an OPPO PM-3 and this cable:

http://www.amazon.com/Supertech%C2%AE3-5mm-Premium-Compatible-Smartphones-computers/dp/B00PLTXJIU

Voila! Balanced PM-3. The PM-3 is efficient enough that the HM-700 drives it quite easily - My ears start to bleed at a volume of 20. The HM-700 fits right in the PM-3 case. 

As much as the HM-700 file compatibility problems drove me crazy, once I got it loaded with music that it can actually play, it is a great sounding machine, especially with PM-3. It was very thoughtful of OPPO to wire the internal jack of the PM-3 as TRRS balanced, even though they don't offer a balanced cable themselves.

Apr 28, 2015 at 1:47 PM Post #131 of 161
  Get yourself an OPPO PM-3 and this cable:

http://www.amazon.com/Supertech%C2%AE3-5mm-Premium-Compatible-Smartphones-computers/dp/B00PLTXJIU

Voila! Balanced PM-3. The PM-3 is efficient enough that the HM-700 drives it quite easily - My ears start to bleed at a volume of 20. The HM-700 fits right in the PM-3 case. 

As much as the HM-700 file compatibility problems drove me crazy, once I got it loaded with music that it can actually play, it is a great sounding machine, especially with PM-3. It was very thoughtful of OPPO to wire the internal jack of the PM-3 as TRRS balanced, even though they don't offer a balanced cable themselves.

Wow, amazing! Good find! 

Jun 16, 2015 at 4:20 PM Post #132 of 161
Have been very pleased with the HM-700 and RE-600 combination.. the perfect travel companion for me.  I have been interested in the PM-3, but wasn't sure if the 700 could power a non-IEM.  This news probably 'pushes' me over the edge to buy the PM-3.  

Thanks so much to BRCMRGN for the update, and the 'find' of a reasonably priced 4-pole cable to run balanced!

Sep 29, 2015 at 4:30 PM Post #133 of 161
Has anyone tried the HM-700 balanced with Ety ER4S? I read the Etys aren't too far from my VC1000 which has pretty decent synergy with the player. More well-rounded soundstage/depth, better and tighter sub bass impact, slightly more fluid overall sound, better detail retrieval, more clarity. I'm curious about the pairing with the Etys, however, as they should be more refined in the treble and less glassy/sibilant than my Vsonics. I feel like the Etys would be one hell of a pairing with the HM-700 and would appreciate any feedback on it. Thanks.

Oct 1, 2015 at 4:26 PM Post #134 of 161
I actually have my ER4S configured with HIFIMAN-style 3.5mm TRRS cabling, so I can try this. I will will warn you up front that I am not a big fan of the ER4S, so I may not like it even if the HM-700 is powerful enough to drive the ER4S. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back