Hifiman HM-700 impressions
Feb 2, 2017 at 6:40 AM Post #151 of 161
  If it is, I backed up (made a dd image of the whole device's flash memory). 

But, I don't think it is all the system files, because all the non-music files took up a total of 2kb, no os could exist in that small space with graphics and all.

Well, if they were on the internal memory, then maybe the HM700 deleted them when I did the format in the settings menu of the HM700 before copying over my files?

I just hope I don't have to bring this to Hifiman attention as this is a gift I received just the other day...

I would try copying that backup you made back to the player with no music files installed then see if it boots.

Feb 2, 2017 at 6:50 AM Post #152 of 161

I would try copying that backup you made back to the player with no music files installed then see if it boots.

Ah, sorry for being unclear, I would have done that but unfortunately I made the backup only just before trying to format the internal memory. So, the backup would have been from when it was failing to boot fully...

I did google it and find two threads on the official Hifiman forum. One had no replies, one had a reply from hifiman but it's unclear if they missed the point or not..

http://bbs.hifiman.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=79880

I can't sign up to view the image because signing up there is broken: "Sorry, your username is shorter than 3 characters, please return" regardless of username provided. Sigh...

I will email hifiman about this.

Feb 4, 2017 at 12:46 AM Post #153 of 161
Hi all,

Just an update, I have been in email contact with Hifiman. They suggested yesterday I re-flash the firmware, but the firmware was not available on the website. They were unaware of this and just let me know they are waiting to hear back from one of their engineers to get the firmware file to host on their website. Then I should be able to re-flash my player and try again after checking my file tags more closely.

Oct 4, 2017 at 1:56 PM Post #155 of 161
I just finished my review and published it on-line: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2707613

No need to copy everything over, so please visit the link above. But I figured to embed pictures from my review in this thread. Enjoy!!!

I just finished my review and published it on-line: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2707613

No need to copy everything over, so please visit the link above. But I figured to embed pictures from my review in this thread. Enjoy!!!

Hi, I have a question. Can you shed some light on the sonic differences between Cayin N3 and Hifiman HM700(balanced) as i am searching for an upgrade over N3.

Oct 4, 2017 at 2:21 PM Post #156 of 161
Hi, I have a question. Can you shed some light on the sonic differences between Cayin N3 and Hifiman HM700(balanced) as i am searching for an upgrade over N3.

I had that unit for review 3.5 years ago, there is no way i remember exactly how it sounded by memory, i have written a ton of other reviews after that one, and frankly i don't even remember if it was a loaner or if it somewhere in the boxes at my house. Sorry.

Just going by its dac, i think it was an old wolfson one, I'm pretty sure it will be warmer and less resolving in comparison, though i remember sound stage being quite wide.

Oct 4, 2017 at 3:14 PM Post #157 of 161
I had that unit for review 3.5 years ago, there is no way i remember exactly how it sounded by memory, i have written a ton of other reviews after that one, and frankly i don't even remember if it was a loaner or if it somewhere in the boxes at my house. Sorry.

Just going by its dac, i think it was an old wolfson one, I'm pretty sure it will be warmer and less resolving in comparison, though i remember sound stage being quite wide.

yes, i saw that the HM700 review is deep in past. I got curious because i am exploring options over N3 and came across Fiio X7 and HM700 combo at about the same price in India. Thanks for the response, i appreciate

Oct 4, 2017 at 4:11 PM Post #158 of 161
yes, i saw that the HM700 review is deep in past. I got curious because i am exploring options over N3 and came across Fiio X7 and HM700 combo at about the same price in India. Thanks for the response, i appreciate

Oh, without a doubt, for the same price pick the original X7, everything from interchangeable amp modules to expandable memory, touch screen, android OS, app support, streaming, etc. It's no brainer. But N3 sounds really good too, just not the best interface with those capacitive buttons on the front.

Feb 20, 2018 at 3:44 PM Post #159 of 161
Hi all,

Just an update, I have been in email contact with Hifiman. They suggested yesterday I re-flash the firmware, but the firmware was not available on the website. They were unaware of this and just let me know they are waiting to hear back from one of their engineers to get the firmware file to host on their website. Then I should be able to re-flash my player and try again after checking my file tags more closely.
Please let us know if they ever get back to you about the firmware being available. I just purchased one because it was just so good of a deal. I went to charge it because it wasn't turning on. As soon as I plugged it in I got a screen lighting up, turning off, lighting up repeat. I tried the reset pinhole but nothing changed. I'm hoping if I just leave it blinking for a couple of hours it will behave because I'm assuming that the battery was dead flat and must get at least some charge stored before it behaves.

Feb 21, 2018 at 1:39 AM Post #160 of 161
Question for anyone who still has one of these. I'm having trouble with the player rejecting all my flac files. They're CD rips at 16 bit 44k, basically just a copy off the disc without any changes. I've seen others mentioning using flac files so I'm feeling very confused. I did tag all my flac files but I'm unsure how that would make a difference. They play just fine on a cheap Benjie K9 and T6, Hidizs AP60 MKII, Xduoo X3 and Nano D3 and Shanling M1.

Feb 21, 2018 at 4:05 AM Post #161 of 161
Question for anyone who still has one of these. I'm having trouble with the player rejecting all my flac files. They're CD rips at 16 bit 44k, basically just a copy off the disc without any changes. I've seen others mentioning using flac files so I'm feeling very confused. I did tag all my flac files but I'm unsure how that would make a difference. They play just fine on a cheap Benjie K9 and T6, Hidizs AP60 MKII, Xduoo X3 and Nano D3 and Shanling M1.

I don't have hm700.
But I had encountered strange happening on my own music files myself.
There were a few flac files (albums) that played well on some daps (colorfly C10 and AR Jr) but failed to play completely (same copies but on different SD Card) on colorfly C3.
I converted these flac files to wav using foobar and surprisingly, they are now playable on C3 after the conversion to wav.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back