Hifiman HM 601 vs. iPod Classic (5.5) [ also open to other suggestions...]
Apr 26, 2012 at 11:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

sg61

New Head-Fier
Hi All,

I am going to purchase either the HM-601 or iPod Classic (as it stands).

Unimportant Factors to me:

Size of device
Storage capacity (iPod is obviously superior, but I could alays get a couple SD cards for the HM)
Price (they are both about $250)

Important Factors
Sound quality
Sound signature
Compatibility with my Sennheider HD25-1 ii's

The most significant reason I am debating between the 2 is the sound signature. Reviews of the HM-601 suggest it
has a very warm sound, not very neutral...

I am not sure which I would necessarily prefer to be honest.

I would also be willing to hear recommendations on other players (bearing in mind the above important factors),
as long as they are $300-350 or less in price.

Help plz????

Thank you!

Apr 28, 2012 at 2:07 AM Post #6 of 10
I personally have not listened to an HM 601, but here's the deal

An iPod wont be having the internal amp as good as the HM 601 is going to have it, so inplace of adding an amp to your setup later, i think it would be better to get a HM601. I personally would love to get an iPod coz i am in a habit of having all my music whenever i want it...... 4GB+ 16GB in a Sansa Fuze still doesnt fit it all for me.....u do have the option of swapping microsd and SD cards, but Database loading takes time....even the iPod can be Rockboxed, but overall, in terms of Hardware and SQ, i bet the HM 601 would be better......even i am looking forward to buying a HM 601, but then i would be upgrading to Headphones only. Have decided on a pair of HD25 1 ii myself.

Regards 

Apr 28, 2012 at 5:38 AM Post #7 of 10
I do not know how much similar it is to the HM-601, but the HM-602 was tested by Stereophile here, and the results are not particularly great. Basically, unless you believe in NOS DACs having an advantage despite measuring worse than PC onboard audio, it is not really worth the high price.

Apr 28, 2012 at 5:47 AM Post #8 of 10

Quote:
Hi All,

I am going to purchase either the HM-601 or iPod Classic (as it stands).

Unimportant Factors to me:

Size of device
Storage capacity (iPod is obviously superior, but I could alays get a couple SD cards for the HM)
Price (they are both about $250)

Important Factors
Sound quality
Sound signature
Compatibility with my Sennheider HD25-1 ii's

The most significant reason I am debating between the 2 is the sound signature. Reviews of the HM-601 suggest it
has a very warm sound, not very neutral...

I am not sure which I would necessarily prefer to be honest.

I would also be willing to hear recommendations on other players (bearing in mind the above important factors),
as long as they are $300-350 or less in price.

Help plz????

Thank you!

I know you bought a J3 and I hope you do enjoy it. But as for the price alone, you could have saved a couple of $100 by getting an used ipod video with upgraded HDD. If you happen to like me, I even prefer the ipod video over the J3.

Quote:
Cowan j3 has terrible interface problems....i hated mine, and sent it back....but it sounded great

I disagree. I found the interface quite good - simple and efficient. No problems.

Oct 1, 2012 at 5:13 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:
Ended up getting the Cowon J3. Interface is OK, but it's sound is golden. Thanks everyone!

I just paid 125 for a used Hifiman Hm 601 and it sounds WONDERFUL, I had a Zune HD which Compared and was apparently better than the iPod 5, and well the Hifiman is MUCH better, here's an example

With my Zune 

Skream-Show Me

Didn't bleed at low volumes and I used a DARK EQ on the Zune and a cMoy BB

with Hifiman Hm 601
Skream- Show me

Bleeds quite a bit! And theres more bass [a bass boosted but no dark EQ and the same Cmoy] 
Not a great comparison but the flaws in the Song and my Xb 700s come out much more with the Hifiman! The hifiman also Amps like a boss, with a VERY clean Line OUt
So at the end of the day I hate Apple AND Mircosoft! I still want a Cowon though <3 but my Hifiman might be enough [just need more SD cards]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back