HifiMan HE6 V2 Adorama
Jan 27, 2023 at 10:00 AM Post #1,936 of 2,647
Are the velour pads that everyone loves round and flat? I ordered some from Hifiman's website, but the ones I recieved are angled and flat on the top like the velpads. So I figured I would keep them and use the rings on another pad and ordered another pair of the $10 velours from Hifiman's Ebay, only to get another pair of angled pads. Did they stop making the donut-looking ones or am I having really bad luck?
That's a bummer they sent you the wrong pads! These are the ones you ordered on ebay? They should be the donut shaped ones, I ordered from this listing back in 2021. https://www.ebay.com/itm/253238435364

That's really weird that they have sent you Velpads twice. If I were you, I would contact their customer service (either through their website or ebay) and tell them you were sent the wrong pads. Worse case is that you could file and claim on ebay that the product did not match the description and get your $10 back. They still list both the Velpad and the round velour on their site but the Velpad is $5 more, which makes me think it was some kind of mix up and they haven't discontinued the round velours.

Jan 27, 2023 at 1:47 PM Post #1,937 of 2,647
That's a bummer they sent you the wrong pads! These are the ones you ordered on ebay? They should be the donut shaped ones, I ordered from this listing back in 2021. https://www.ebay.com/itm/253238435364

That's really weird that they have sent you Velpads twice. If I were you, I would contact their customer service (either through their website or ebay) and tell them you were sent the wrong pads. Worse case is that you could file and claim on ebay that the product did not match the description and get your $10 back. They still list both the Velpad and the round velour on their site but the Velpad is $5 more, which makes me think it was some kind of mix up and they haven't discontinued the round velours.
Yeah, that's the one I ordered. I contacted support but haven't heard back. I'm debating just trying to buy some from a different site and hoping for the best.

Jan 27, 2023 at 7:33 PM Post #1,938 of 2,647
2 wpc @ 50 ohms min. The HE-6 SE v2 has better bass (timbre, impact) than any Arya. Also it has technicals comparable to the Arya. It does not have the sound stage size. Get a used Rag 1 for $650 and you can run most speakers with it.
How about JOTUNHEIM from Schitt, will it do an ok job?

Jan 28, 2023 at 8:50 AM Post #1,939 of 2,647
How about JOTUNHEIM from Schitt, will it do an ok job?
Yes. But only using the XLR/balanced option, in SE not enough juice (4 wpc vs 1.2 wpc @ 50 ohms). The phono add on is good for MM. But I personally would hold out for a separate DAC rather than the add on (IMO the DAC technology is still changing fast and the one they include is already behind a generation or two).

Jan 28, 2023 at 12:01 PM Post #1,940 of 2,647
I have been completely consumed with a new toy lately, the HE-R9. A ton of fun.

Today I decided to do a deep dive into my Seether collection (more than five hours of rythmic rock).
I figured the best tools for the job were the HE6se V2's. BF2 to iFi Pro iCAN to HE6se's. Amp on mid gain in tube mode. Bass boost and 3D effects unengaged.

A great, lazy Saturday!:thumbsup:

20220611_104627_HDR~2.jpg
I remember you talking about having a blast with the R9, but I notice they're not in your sig anymore. Long-term impressions?

Jan 28, 2023 at 12:33 PM Post #1,941 of 2,647
I remember you talking about having a blast with the R9, but I notice they're not in your sig anymore. Long-term impressions?
A little too thick and wooly for me, over the long haul. I went on a closed back binge and went through several pairs in a few months. My fun closed backs are the CFA Cascades. My best and more balanced closed backs are the Focal Radiance.

I am going to sit down with the Cascades in the near future and go through all three sets of pads and two sets of filters and try to make them a little more balanced. As it is I can only wear them for a few days and then I need a change. I really am not a basshead, I just want a closed back that I can enjoy the drums and bass on. Be it bass guitar, stand up bass or organ.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2023 at 10:28 AM Post #1,942 of 2,647
Got an email from Hifiman this morning. Some lucky SOB was able to score an OG HE-6 for $539. I'm super jealous. I checked the HE-4 and HE-5 and they were gone too, no surprise. I hope whoever got them will enjoy them. I guess I will just listen to my HE6se V2 and repeat the mantra, "I'm happy with what I have" :sweat_smile:

1675437564575.png

Feb 3, 2023 at 12:53 PM Post #1,944 of 2,647
Got an email from Hifiman this morning. Some lucky SOB was able to score an OG HE-6 for $539. I'm super jealous. I checked the HE-4 and HE-5 and they were gone too, no surprise. I hope whoever got them will enjoy them. I guess I will just listen to my HE6se V2 and repeat the mantra, "I'm happy with what I have" :sweat_smile:

I believe HFM has said in the past that they have changed the thickness of the mylar and machining from the OG HE-6 days. I cannot verify this w/o examining it - but it would not surprise me that the innards of the OG HE-6 they sold is the current HE-6 SE v2. I have a harder time thinking they had an unused box lying around behind some cabinets and put it up for sale.

The tale of the tape is the condition of the cans and the headband. If they are mint, then its probably real. Pretty sure they do not have the OG bands just lying around.

The deal I'm mad I missed is the OG LCD-4 installed in the newer "z" cup for $1400. Damn....

Added: According to Head-Fi'ers back around 2019-2021 - that had OG HE-6's that failed, they were offered new cans, not a repair.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2023 at 12:55 PM Post #1,945 of 2,647
I believe HFM has said in the past that they have changed the thickness of the mylar and machining from the OG HE-6 days. I cannot verify this w/o examining it - but it would not surprise me that the innards of the OG HE-6 they sold is the current HE-6 SE v2. I have a harder time thinking they had an unused box lying around behind some cabinets and put it up for sale.

The tale of the tape is the condition of the cans and the headband. If they are mint, then its probably real. Pretty sure they do not have the OG bands just lying around.

The deal I'm mad I missed is the OG LCD-4 installed in the newer "z" cup for $1400. Damn....
Where is the lcd-4 deal? In classified?

Feb 3, 2023 at 1:41 PM Post #1,946 of 2,647
Feb 3, 2023 at 9:07 PM Post #1,947 of 2,647

1675437564575.png
I didn’t have anything from HFM today ;(

Feb 3, 2023 at 9:17 PM Post #1,948 of 2,647
I didn’t have anything from HFM today ;(
It probably went to your spam. I have had to tell Gmail hifiman's emails are not spam like 5 times. They really don't trust the Chinese mail server, I think.

Feb 3, 2023 at 9:48 PM Post #1,949 of 2,647
It probably went to your spam. I have had to tell Gmail hifiman's emails are not spam like 5 times. They really don't trust the Chinese mail server, I think.
their emails always go to spam. But it’s still empty.
BTW, I‘ve heard that these will have HE6se drivers inside, that’s how they fix HE6 OG.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back