HifiMan HE6 V2 Adorama
Nov 23, 2023 at 5:36 AM Post #2,551 of 2,817
Twins separated at birth...

he42.jpg

Nov 23, 2023 at 9:46 AM Post #2,552 of 2,817
Twins separated at birth...

he42.jpg
I loved the comfort of my HE400i (2017) headband BUT the underside of the strap has rotted and every time I wear it my head is left with black dandruff - it wouldn't be so bad but what little hair I have left is white :astonished:

Nov 23, 2023 at 10:17 AM Post #2,553 of 2,817
I loved the comfort of my HE400i (2017) headband BUT the underside of the strap has rotted and every time I wear it my head is left with black dandruff - it wouldn't be so bad but what little hair I have left is white :astonished:
Maybe because it was closed in a place where no air could pass... I keep it in a simple drawer and it's still like new... :wink:
What is crumbling instead is the headband (skin) of the EditionX V2 (in the same drawer) which is also a year younger.

Nov 23, 2023 at 10:56 AM Post #2,554 of 2,817
Maybe because it was closed in a place where no air could pass... I keep it in a simple drawer and it's still like new... :wink:
What is crumbling instead is the headband (skin) of the EditionX V2 (in the same drawer) which is also a year younger.
Nope, it's kept on a hanger, so plenty of air around it - it's just shoddy materials, none of my other headphones have the same problem

Nov 23, 2023 at 11:27 AM Post #2,555 of 2,817
I dove in deep with Dekoni pads. I bought two sets (one for Grado's and one for Focal Clear's). Landed was about $350.00Cdn. and I don't use either set.
$250 USD for pads?! If I can help you buy stuff to save money then just PM.

I have also tried the VelPad. Has better imaging than a regular round velour donut, given that it's angled, but while it sounds similar, it has some more spice to the treble which I can find a tad harsh at times. Also, not quite as comfortable to me as the velour pads I use currently, so I always end up going back to those.
That is true but I dont mind the extra spice. Maybe Ill try more velour pads. Anyways, @Shane D at least try the cheap velpads from HFM which do come with rings. I've tried a bunch of pads and they are my fav for 6se.

This has been my general experience with solid leather pads on this headphone, too. Generally, I've found they put too much emphasis around lower midrange making everything sound "thick," for lack of a better term, and not really in a good way. I am of the camp that this headphone needs pads that breathe to sounds it's best. The stock PaliPad is about halfway between a solid pad and something like a velour (which is my fave).
100%. Also, more open pads sound more open. Whether thats a good thing depends on the headphone and your preference.
HE6se stock VS HE6se velpad mm.jpg

^ "mm" stands for Matt's mods which is fazors installed, and stock grill replaced with acoustically transparent grill. No opinion on the effects of the mods but here is Matt's take.

Nov 23, 2023 at 12:27 PM Post #2,556 of 2,817
$250 USD for pads?! If I can help you buy stuff to save money then just PM.

That is true but I dont mind the extra spice. Maybe Ill try more velour pads. Anyways, @Shane D at least try the cheap velpads from HFM which do come with rings. I've tried a bunch of pads and they are my fav for 6se.
Thanks for the offer, but when the pads are $90ish US dollars (Dekoni) and there is shipping to Canada, it gets Very expensive, Very quickly.
I love the stock pads, but will likely try out the HiFiman velour. Thinking Hard about the Sundara closed backs. At that price, it is hard to lose.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2023 at 12:52 PM Post #2,557 of 2,817
I love the stock pads, but will likely try out the HiFiman velour
Theyve “velour pads” and “velpads”. Ive only tried the latter. The stock pads are a little too presence treble-y for me.

but when the pads are $90ish US dollars (Dekoni) and there is shipping to Canada, it gets Very expensive, Very quickly.
I only buy Dekoni if its discounted otherwise **** that.

Thinking Hard about the Sundara closed backs. At that price, it is hard to lose.
Also hard to win. :)

Nov 23, 2023 at 1:50 PM Post #2,558 of 2,817
Theyve “velour pads” and “velpads”. Ive only tried the latter. The stock pads are a little too presence treble-y for me.

I only buy Dekoni if its discounted otherwise **** that.

Also hard to win. :)
So, I am guessing that you don't like the Sundara CB's?

Nov 23, 2023 at 2:07 PM Post #2,559 of 2,817
So, I am guessing that you don't like the Sundara CB's?
I mean to say that closed-backs are less likely to sound agreeable in general. Probably because closed-back is a little more complex to tune.

Despite my doubt I was mildly interested to try Sundara Closed-Back but lost steam after seeing some reviews, teardowns, and measurements. Id still be happy to try but dont want to spend that much even at discounted price of $150. I dont have much faith in HFM. I was on Audivina loaner tour but gratiously bowed out from posting public impressions which HFM appreciated.

Nov 23, 2023 at 2:59 PM Post #2,560 of 2,817
Agreed about closed backs. My Radiance's are the best closed back I have ever heard. But they are still about number seven on my depth chart behind all the open backs. :grin:

To get back on topic, I am enjoying my V2's much more today with my Palipads back on. Or maybe just because I am used to the sound.

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2023 at 8:23 AM Post #2,562 of 2,817
He's not fitting the 400i headband onoto 6SEV2 cups in that video
No, he only shows you how to disassemble the headset which is also a HE560V4 (internally and externally similar to the HE6SEV2), but the procedure is the same. The most difficult thing was actually removing those black screw holders that show inside which I thought were made of rubber but instead they were made of hard plastic. The process is not difficult, but it requires a certain amount of manual skill that I don't have and therefore for me it was slightly more complicated, but in the end I succeeded and now the headphone is more beautiful, but above all much more resistant. It just takes a little patience to do it.

Nov 24, 2023 at 3:43 PM Post #2,563 of 2,817
Yes - the OG pads (edges) and headband (sin) of my HEX v2 flake city by mid '23 the cost of repair plus the cost of the semi-replacement XS driving the HEX v2 price down - let them go very litte - none of my other HFM including the much older 5LE and 500 or nearly as old 6 SE v1 and 4XX are behaving this way.

Polky74 said: Twins separated at birth...

Physically - close - but sonically? Mmmm... no.

Nov 24, 2023 at 3:46 PM Post #2,564 of 2,817
I’m telling you guys- dekoni egg shaped velour are where it’s at
Now tried 17 different pads on my HE-500 and 15 on my HE-6 SE v1 and the DCA Ether Angled still way in the lead for me - even better with no rear screen or very minimal screen.

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2023 at 3:54 PM Post #2,565 of 2,817
Now tried 17 different pads on my HE-500 and 15 on my HE-6 SE v1 and the DCA Ether Angled still way in the lead for me - even better with no rear screen or very inia screen.
Different strokes for different folks...

I am SO enjoying the V2's with my stock pads. I think my ears are just tuned to the stockers. Thanks for the idea though! I'll try almost anything once.:smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back