Hifiman HE6-SE
Feb 10, 2024 at 7:59 AM Post #3,811 of 3,900
Had no idea. With the Tungsten getting so much hype, I mistakenly thought the double-sided thing was rare or new. Do you know if double-sided (or is it "two-way"?) magnets are pretty widespread in the planar world and/or across Hifiman's lineup?
I Just did a quick search and it seems like most newer higher end ones are double sided . The sundara, 400i and 560 seems to be single sided magnets.

Feb 10, 2024 at 6:15 PM Post #3,813 of 3,900
I think single sided is just a weight reduction thing , maybe cheaper too
I've heard it argued before that the single sided design benefit is there is less obstruction on the ear side of the driver (all single sided designs I've seen have the magnets on the outside). But Hifiman's Stealth Magnets are supposed to help mitigate that, if their marketing is to be believed.

In reality though, I think you are spot on, it saves the manufacturer money by using half the number of magnets. I'm guessing that's the reason why the single sided tungsten is cheaper and the lower end Hifiman headphones are single sided.

Feb 10, 2024 at 6:24 PM Post #3,814 of 3,900
I've heard it argued before that the single sided design benefit is there is less obstruction on the ear side of the driver (all single sided designs I've seen have the magnets on the outside). But Hifiman's Stealth Magnets are supposed to help mitigate that, if their marketing is to be believed.

For one, Fazor appears to be total bs: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ins...-3-modification-attempt.770678/#post-11669237

Whether Stealth is the same story IRL remains to be proven.

These cups tailored-printed for a cheap Hifiman kinda promise to do the same, shame they don't exist for HE6SE: youtu.be/RgDfs6g48oU?t=240

Graphs visible at https://customcans.co.uk/shop/produ...per-punchier-bass-and-wider-sound-stage-copy/

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2024 at 6:25 PM Post #3,815 of 3,900

In reality though, I think you are spot on, it saves the manufacturer money by using half the number of magnets. I'm guessing that's the reason why the single sided tungsten is cheaper and the lower end Hifiman headphones are single sided.
Double sided heavier/more expensive - why bother unless it's better? I like the HE-500 >>> 560/400 etc.

Feb 10, 2024 at 6:29 PM Post #3,816 of 3,900
Feb 10, 2024 at 6:33 PM Post #3,817 of 3,900
It's an engineering change that IMO is derived from the fuzzor mods of the HE-6/500. It does work, and these days the stators are thinner than in earlier days mitigating the need somewhat. Look at the HE-6 SE vs the 6/500, much thinner. Fuzzor doesn't do much for the HE-6 SE, unlike the 6/500.

FR domain is not the place to judge the effect of the fuzzor mod/Stealth. Reduction of cancellations, reverberations is what to look at.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2024 at 10:24 PM Post #3,818 of 3,900
Not the same thing as the fuzzor mod for the HE-500/6.

English appears to be your native tongue, I only spoke about FAZOR from Audeze...but then again it's all made in a garage by ppl whose job is to literally hammer drivers lol so what would you expect really: youtu.be/ltqCUzBNnys?t=349

I'm still partial about DIY fuzzor as I believe it's made of self-adhesive felt and IME this usually comes off after a while due to heat + sweat, shall I ever consider it I would certainly use 3M heavy-duty dual-sided adhesive but SQ is plenty amazing as is and I still got a whole bunch of mods on my list ^^

I'm still super stunned by my 6V2 but dang any tiny defect in the record explodes to your ears, this is not an audiophile phone to my ears at all, mostly a hardcore mastering tool IMO
1707621641836.png

In comparison HE500 provides far less resolution, defects mostly go undetected and mids are far thicker, OTOH dynamics are a joke compared to 6V2 but I bought it used and my seller said that he prefered HEK as it sounds less agressive and projects a far larger SS. 6V2 is not here to show the bright side of life, it's showing you street life w/ its perks so it's your part to make its job easy or else.
I do produce electronic music so I'm up for the challenge and I scored it for 300 bones used, me super happy w/ the purchase
1707621675753.png

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2024 at 10:49 PM Post #3,819 of 3,900
I'm still super stunned by my 6V2 but dang any tiny defect in the record explodes to your ears, this is not an audiophile phone to my ears at all, mostly a hardcore mastering tool IMO1707621641836.png
This is pretty much where I've landed with these too. They are fantastically revealing headphones. Very few of the recordings I listen to can hold up to them. Their saving grace is that they are also super responsive to EQ.

Feb 10, 2024 at 10:52 PM Post #3,820 of 3,900
I only spoke about FAZOR from Audeze
Not sure what that comment was doing in a HFM thread, which is what I noted.
I'm still partial about DIY fuzzor as I believe it's made of self-adhesive felt and IME this usually comes off after a while due to heat + sweat, shall I ever consider it I would certainly use 3M heavy-duty dual-sided adhesive
6 years on the 500, and 4+ on the 6 SE and nothing coming off yet
I'm still super stunned by my 6V2 but dang any tiny defect in the record explodes to your ears, this is not an audiophile phone to my ears at all, mostly a hardcore mastering tool IMO
It functions well w/ some massaging as an honest audiophile can - my best
In comparison HE500 provides far less resolution, defects mostly go undetected and mids are far thicker, OTOH dynamics are a joke compared to 6V2 but I bought it used
It needs more massaging than the 6 SE - pleasant for female vocals. The HD-600 has timbre nailed, but lacks resolution too - oh well.
and my seller said that he prefered HEK as it sounds less agressive and projects a far larger SS. 6V2 is not here to show the bright side of life, it's showing you street life w/ its perks so it's your part to make its job easy or else.
The HEK Series came of age with the Stealth IMO, but the bass impact is short of the 6 SE and it needs EQ mid treble, and its not worth the difference over the 6 SE IMO, but I'd take one.
I do produce electronic music so I'm up for the challenge and I scored it for 300 bones used, me super happy w/ the purchase
Nice

Feb 10, 2024 at 11:25 PM Post #3,821 of 3,900
^ Because angelboy said "Hifiman's Stealth Magnets are supposed to help mitigate that, if their marketing is to be believed" and we would have to see internal pics to find out, as we did with AUDEZE who blatantly failed their wild promises IRL.

I've always been afraid of being unhappy w/ oval cups and recently a friend of mine told me that he didn't like feeling the pressure on his jaw, I'm quite confident I wouldn't bear it either. Of course soundwave will hit the pinna more naturally, but I'm plenty happy with round HFM's. OTOH I hate 40mm drivers that sound like earbuds to my brain, ortho wall or no deal no matter, kthx FOCAL
1707625195960.png

I also hate how cheap HFM ovals come with non-swiveling cups and more expensive ones get a new rev every 3 months that kills resale value, so I'll sit tight for now and pick one up used for cheap someday I guess. At least it'll retain the HFM house sound I adore hopefully, but I'm a single phone dude anyway and 6V2 hits the spot and then some atm
1707625384793.png

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2024 at 11:52 PM Post #3,822 of 3,900
This is pretty much where I've landed with these too. They are fantastically revealing headphones. Very few of the recordings I listen to can hold up to them. Their saving grace is that they are also super responsive to EQ.

I believe many mixing engineers would do good enrolling 6V2 in their monitoring gear in order to get to hear the harsh truth, because humming and distortion in recent records is inexcusable.

But then again today's worldwide music production is about autotuned vocals on top of nasty 808 drums, so 60Hz hums from guitar pedals and what-not is the least of their concern I presume.

And most sales nowadays are scored through streaming lo-fi to BT earbuds(=double lossy) so it's not like anyone would notice the difference hah, mostly only a bunch of nerds on head-fi
1707626973905.png

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2024 at 12:08 AM Post #3,823 of 3,900
I believe many mixing engineers would do good enrolling 6V2 in their monitoring gear in order to get to hear the harsh truth, because humming and distortion in recent records is inexcusable.

But then again today's worldwide music production is about autotuned vocals on top of nasty 808 drums, so 60Hz hums from guitar pedals and what-not is the least of their concern I presume.

And most sales nowadays are scored through streaming lo-fi to BT earbuds(=double lossy) so it's not like anyone would notice the difference hah, mostly only a bunch of nerds on head-fi
I get why recordings sound the way they do. The job of recording and mastering engineers is to translate recorded material into formats and environments that most people actually listen to. Engineers are, for the most part, good at their job. Unfortunately, that also means that headphones like the HE6se v2 aren't particularly well suited to most recordings. But given the right recording, they're outstanding. It's the reason I keep them around.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2024 at 12:21 AM Post #3,824 of 3,900
I get why recordings sound the way they do. The job of recording and mastering engineers is to translate recorded material into formats and environments that most people actually listen to. Engineers are, for the most part, good at their job. Unfortunately, that also means that headphones like the HE6se v2 aren't particularly well suited to most recordings. But given the right recording, they're outstanding. It's the reason I keep them around.

I've been working in recording studios quite a bit lately actually, Yamaha NS10M remains standard in most of them as it comes with the ugliest mids you could imagine, so if tune sounds good on them it'll work anywhere else, in theory at least: https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/yamaha-ns10-story ^^
NS10 is an extremely revealing speaker that takes no prisoners

I'm quite confident all those 60Hz hums/crackles/distortion I get to hear so loudly with 6V2 were be plenty audible during recording/mixing, it's just that they don't care I guess. Mostly because time is $$ and streamers will never get to hear them so whatever man. If head-fi nerds want audiophile, let them buy hi-res for a huge premium.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2024 at 12:28 AM Post #3,825 of 3,900
I’m wondering which crack head mixtape you guys are talking about. I listen to plenty of modern urban music and never heard humming or vinyl crackle in any of the recent stuff.

It’s also a completely different game to master something at -8db lufsi and master a song with 18 db of headroom.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back