Hifiman HE6-SE
Nov 29, 2021 at 6:54 PM Post #2,326 of 3,900
Just in case anyone else is having trouble spotting the difference, I've made a little diagram. Basically there should be a gap (i.e. shadow) all the way across the magnets, not just on the ends.
IMG_20211115_233602-annotated.jpg

However, while it's not as reliable, I think you should be able to check if your drivers are stuck without taking the grilles off. If you shine a very bright flashlight from the grille side and look in the earpad you should be able to see light coming through the membrane. It (confusingly) shines blueish where it's gold coated (in between the magnets), and yellow where the coating is different (directly under the magnet bars). by moving the light back and looking at it from different angles you should be able to see alternating colors. View it straight on looks basically all blue, and at an angle it should shine mostly yellow.

Although I can't confirm this since my set is healthy, but if it's stuck, I would theorize you could only see the blue light in the middle where it sticks, even when viewing at an angle since the magnets would be blocking the light. I took a picture, but it's kinda hard to make out both colors, but it's way easier to see in real life as long as you have a really bright flashlight. And, the best part is that poses no more risk to the headphone than normal handling requires.
1129211613.jpg

Anyway, I hope that's helpful to you (or anyone, for that matter) and I hope these stuck drivers are sorted out! I consider myself lucky that my set has been trouble free, even after hundreds of hours that I've put on it since I bought it.
Great idea! I am definitely comfortable shining a flashlight in there...

Nov 29, 2021 at 7:38 PM Post #2,327 of 3,900
Being double-sided magnets, would you also need to, or should you, check the side where the ear pads are attached?
I mean you could if you wanted to be super sure, but I think the amount it pulls you should be able to spot that it's stuck from either side. The shadow would just be larger than it should be where it's stuck on the opposite side. The light trick should work no matter which way it's stuck since the magnet would be blocking the light either way.

Nov 29, 2021 at 8:48 PM Post #2,328 of 3,900
Interesting impressions. That's different from what I'm hearing. The Hifiman Round Velour (the pads that came on the OG HE6) and the Aliexpress velours I posted about earlier sound indistinguible to me both in sound signature and imaging/soundstage. Everyone hears differently, I guess.

But, I just ordered a pair of Velpads to try based on your rec. It looks like the only place you can get them is directly from Hifiman. Should be interesting to compare with the other pads that I have.

I read your post. Thanks to your post, I could try many different pads!

The difference I heard may be due to the condition of old pads.. or something else...?(or my condition. I recently tried so many pads in A/B, and it's very tiring..:scream::scream:)

By the way, the thing important is that I enjoy velpad!

The price is not expensive, so I hope you guys try it.

Thank you!~

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2021 at 9:03 PM Post #2,329 of 3,900
re: velpad, I had it with my HE500 for a time and felt it did wonderful things to the treble but just sucked the life out of the bass. The bottom octave was gone. "Improved imaging" I guess.

Nov 29, 2021 at 10:10 PM Post #2,330 of 3,900
Just in case anyone else is having trouble spotting the difference, I've made a little diagram. Basically there should be a gap (i.e. shadow) all the way across the magnets, not just on the ends.
IMG_20211115_233602-annotated.jpg

However, while it's not as reliable, I think you should be able to check if your drivers are stuck without taking the grilles off. If you shine a very bright flashlight from the grille side and look in the earpad you should be able to see light coming through the membrane. It (confusingly) shines blueish where it's gold coated (in between the magnets), and yellow where the coating is different (directly under the magnet bars). by moving the light back and looking at it from different angles you should be able to see alternating colors. View it straight on looks basically all blue, and at an angle it should shine mostly yellow.

Although I can't confirm this since my set is healthy, but if it's stuck, I would theorize you could only see the blue light in the middle where it sticks, even when viewing at an angle since the magnets would be blocking the light. I took a picture, but it's kinda hard to make out both colors, but it's way easier to see in real life as long as you have a really bright flashlight. And, the best part is that poses no more risk to the headphone than normal handling requires.
1129211613.jpg

Anyway, I hope that's helpful to you (or anyone, for that matter) and I hope these stuck drivers are sorted out! I consider myself lucky that my set has been trouble free, even after hundreds of hours that I've put on it since I bought it.
Wow thanks for taking the effort to create the diagram, this is clearest explanation I've seen. It's sure to benefit many owners! 👍👍

Nov 30, 2021 at 6:43 AM Post #2,331 of 3,900
re: velpad, I had it with my HE500 for a time and felt it did wonderful things to the treble but just sucked the life out of the bass. The bottom octave was gone. "Improved imaging" I guess.
Yes. "Imaging" is a very important key factor. The "weakest" point of HE6SE when especially compared to HE6 is not bass impact, not speed, not soundstage, but "more 2D like imaging". That degrades other sound qualities as well as itself. " Note that you should push your earpad when using velpads so that you ensure your ear and driver close enough. Otherwise, sound is somewhat distracting-> false

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2021 at 11:46 PM Post #2,333 of 3,900
Hey no disrespect to you guys or hifiman at all. But shouldn't this thread be in the regular headphones forum?

Dec 1, 2021 at 9:53 AM Post #2,334 of 3,900
Hey no disrespect to you guys or hifiman at all. But shouldn't this thread be in the regular headphones forum?
I just now realized this thread is in summit fi! lol

I don't agree with the entire mid-fi / high-fi / summit-fi thing, but if we are using that i don't believe a $600 (or even $1800 which is not the case for a long time) set qualifies.

Dec 1, 2021 at 10:11 AM Post #2,335 of 3,900
Summit-Fi is the stupidest distinction that there has ever been.

Dec 1, 2021 at 10:38 AM Post #2,337 of 3,900
I think they are all stupid, like, Sundara is not hi-fi because it is cheap... ok... lol
The HE560 was like $900 at one point (LOL). I bought my last pair of V1s for $175 used, and new V4s are like $225. How do we score that one then?

EDIT: As an editorial, if you're not afraid to use EQ, the HE560 has to be one of the best values of all time. Really.

Dec 1, 2021 at 11:47 PM Post #2,338 of 3,900
At the time that the HE-6 thread was created, it certainly was summit-fi. So I think this one followed that trend.

Dec 2, 2021 at 3:45 PM Post #2,339 of 3,900
At the time that the HE-6 thread was created, it certainly was summit-fi. So I think this one followed that trend.
Legit, and the Susvara comes from the HE-6 tree, if I remember correctly.

That being said, by the time the HE-6se arrived a few years back, it was definitely not summit fi even at the non-sale price, but... funny thing is, I hadn't noticed either that that this thread was in the Summit-Fi section, hah!

Dec 3, 2021 at 7:05 PM Post #2,340 of 3,900

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back