Hifiman HE6-SE
Feb 9, 2021 at 2:45 PM Post #1,231 of 3,902
Posted this in the HE-6 forum thinking it was this one, hah.

I think there's some secret sauce in Dekoni's TH900 pads.

They're the exact same size as their HiFiMan pads - same diameter, same ear hole opening, same thickness throughout, same angle. The only difference (beside the lack of a mounting ring) is that the TH900 pads are flat on the side, whereas the HiFiMAN pads angle inwards towards the ring.

I recently got a pair of Fostex TH900 that came with Hybrid pads, and couldn't get over how freaking whollopy the bass was compared to any other pad I had. Putting them on the HE-6, I cannot believe how freaking hard the bass kicks - it's actually unbelievable. Compared to the MrSpeakers Angled pads I had, the bass is absolutely seismic, and the steely glare the MrSpeakers pads had (which was also present on the TH900 when I put them on!) is gone. There's a little extra content in the very high treble, but these pads are unbelievable.

I also received a pair of suede Ori pads - they rolled off the bottom and top, and fortified the mids a bit. Perhaps a bit flatter, but nowhere near the visceral joy of the TH900 Hybrid pads, and perhaps a little "grey" sounding in the midrange. Oddly, I wasn't thrilled with the TH900 Hybrid pads on my HE-5, and felt the suede Oris worked great.

Maybe that extra mass of memory foam around the base of the pad fortified things, but my god, I am hearing natural sub-bass pumping on strummed acoustic guitars, and no steely upper mid/lower treble.

Feb 9, 2021 at 4:07 PM Post #1,233 of 3,902
Posted this in the HE-6 forum thinking it was this one, hah.

I think there's some secret sauce in Dekoni's TH900 pads.

They're the exact same size as their HiFiMan pads - same diameter, same ear hole opening, same thickness throughout, same angle. The only difference (beside the lack of a mounting ring) is that the TH900 pads are flat on the side, whereas the HiFiMAN pads angle inwards towards the ring.

I recently got a pair of Fostex TH900 that came with Hybrid pads, and couldn't get over how freaking whollopy the bass was compared to any other pad I had. Putting them on the HE-6, I cannot believe how freaking hard the bass kicks - it's actually unbelievable. Compared to the MrSpeakers Angled pads I had, the bass is absolutely seismic, and the steely glare the MrSpeakers pads had (which was also present on the TH900 when I put them on!) is gone. There's a little extra content in the very high treble, but these pads are unbelievable.

I also received a pair of suede Ori pads - they rolled off the bottom and top, and fortified the mids a bit. Perhaps a bit flatter, but nowhere near the visceral joy of the TH900 Hybrid pads, and perhaps a little "grey" sounding in the midrange. Oddly, I wasn't thrilled with the TH900 Hybrid pads on my HE-5, and felt the suede Oris worked great.

Maybe that extra mass of memory foam around the base of the pad fortified things, but my god, I am hearing natural sub-bass pumping on strummed acoustic guitars, and no steely upper mid/lower treble.

I think it is almost the same as the dekoni hifiman? No?

Feb 9, 2021 at 4:08 PM Post #1,234 of 3,902
what about sheepskin fenerated he pads ? Im most interested in trying them out
My universal experience is that they absolutely disappear bass, especially sub bass, and may introduce a lot of upper treble. It's almost like a low shelf EQ, 12-15db bass reduction. This might be preferable on certain headphones, however. Like if you wanted your LCD-X to be an HD800/T1.

Feb 9, 2021 at 4:09 PM Post #1,235 of 3,902
I think it is almost the same as the dekoni hifiman? No?
Yeah, the only difference is that the TH900 pads are flat all the way down, whereas the HiFiMAN pads taper a little bit. I don't have HiFiMAN hybrid pads to do apples/apples comparison - all I know is that the Hybrid TH900 pads are like a sledgehammer in the bass on the TH900, HE-6, and HE-400 (just tested, hah).

Feb 9, 2021 at 6:25 PM Post #1,236 of 3,902
The impressions are with out elise. The elise as a preamp just smooths out the edges a little bit but it's very very faint. If anything, it adds a hint of deeper bass but the effect isn't as noticeable with the elise + zamp as it is with the elise +a90 I had going before or the elise+jot2.

Thanks for the explanation.

I think the gain in the parasound helps a lot. I have learned from the reviews using Violetric V281 and changing the gain did make the sound different from other amps. I experimented the adcom 545 and added a preamp (which set the gain to a slightly different level than just the DAC out) made the sound full bodied.

The tiny small gain dial at the back of the parasound is such a nice feature.

Feb 11, 2021 at 3:27 PM Post #1,237 of 3,902
The stupid headphone jack dislodged. Now I'm trying to warranty the he-6 se v2 that I got in December.

Feb 15, 2021 at 9:50 AM Post #1,238 of 3,902
Curious gents...............the available headband that is the same as version 1 is available from HFM for $125. Would consider putting it on the V2 HE-6SE but when I look at the attachments to the cups what I see is a (forgive my description) a knurled stainless steel screw/bolt. Anyone done this swap and what did you use to loosen screw/bolt? Not a lot of meat to grab on to - wish it was a Phillips or straight blade screwdriver-type but HFM once again makes things interesting...................
I did the swap exactly since I didn’t like the v2’s headband - strap bands are much more comfortable for me. I got the $125 strap band from hifiman. You can’t use the hardware that comes with the band since the holes on the v2 are too big for the bolt/screw. You need to use the v2’s native plastic bolts and washer screw. I used pliers with masking tape over the teeth to not mar the teeth of the screws but with patience it’s not bad. You do need to stretch the arms the band slightly but so far doesn’t seem bad at all. Some people hypothesized the sound would be different if you change the headband making it closer to v1 but I’m too novice to tell if it made any change to sound. Much more comfortable though! (edit: figured was able to post image afterall - just not on mobile)
IMG_8778.jpgIMG_8779.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2021 at 11:53 AM Post #1,241 of 3,902
(Truly a noob to this forum...is there no way to post pics short of webhosted ones?)
In the meantime, try uploading them as an album on imgur and post the imgur album link here.

Feb 15, 2021 at 3:39 PM Post #1,242 of 3,902
Got my replacement V2s today. The overall package feels substantially higher quality than the V1. However, I'm finding the V1 headband was more comfortable as the comfort strap is wide, whereas the V2's pressure is on the headband in a narrower area. Not that it's uncomfortable, just less so than the V1.

Given the higher quality feel of the new band though, it's worth the trade off. I actually liked the matte black of the V1 better, but these V2s look ok nonetheless. I'm trying to go off memory in sound comparison, but the one thing I notice is that the treble isn't as hot as my V1s were when I first got them. After some burn in though, it was tamed quite a bit. I can't tell if these have more bass or not as others have mentioned since it's been a long while and I'm not comparing them side by side, but they sound great so far.

Hifiman really came through with their customer service. The V1s had a 2 year warranty and I think these V2 only have 1 year now, but given how sturdy the headband feels, I don't think I'll be running into the same issue I had with the V1 band.

Feb 15, 2021 at 3:50 PM Post #1,243 of 3,902
Got my replacement V2s today. The overall package feels substantially higher quality than the V1. However, I'm finding the V1 headband was more comfortable as the comfort strap is wide, whereas the V2's pressure is on the headband in a narrower area. Not that it's uncomfortable, just less so than the V1.

Given the higher quality feel of the new band though, it's worth the trade off. I actually liked the matte black of the V1 better, but these V2s look ok nonetheless. I'm trying to go off memory in sound comparison, but the one thing I notice is that the treble isn't as hot as my V1s were when I first got them. After some burn in though, it was tamed quite a bit. I can't tell if these have more bass or not as others have mentioned since it's been a long while and I'm not comparing them side by side, but they sound great so far.

Hifiman really came through with their customer service. The V1s had a 2 year warranty and I think these V2 only have 1 year now, but given how sturdy the headband feels, I don't think I'll be running into the same issue I had with the V1 band.

I think the less clamp on the V2 headband affects the sound/FR slightly, which could make it less hot and also less suck out in the mids. I didnt like the V2 headband at first, but it seems to have settled-in/broken-in a bit over time and now is pretty comfortable. I actually made my own comfort suspension strap for it. Bought a piece of leather from Michael's and cut it down, and punched two small holes on the ends, and used twisty ties to secure it to the headband, and it works wonderfully.

20210215_124902.jpg

Feb 15, 2021 at 3:50 PM Post #1,244 of 3,902
So many HE 6 versions. HE-6 4 screw, 2 HE-6 6 screw, HE-6 SE and HE-6 SE V2. Really don't know what to buy now. Is there anyone who listened to all of those versions? Or any link? I know a comparison of all the old HE-6 but this doesn't include the 2 new ones.

Feb 15, 2021 at 4:09 PM Post #1,245 of 3,902
Just found a JVC AX-555 locally, not much info on them out there but figured might as well get it and test it with the HE6-SE.

Made in Japan in the 80's, should be fairly ok - 90 watts per channel into 8Ω - also only £50 so why not.

Hooked it up to my B&W 606's first to give it a bit of a play, and it sounds superb...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back