Hifiman HE6-SE
Feb 17, 2021 at 4:11 PM Post #1,261 of 1,667

antdroid

Headphoneus Supremus
Sorry for the late reply - I'm not on head-fi much these days.

I've had all over these except the HE-6SEV2 (and I probably won't end up purchasing one).

The 6 screw and 4 screw are much more alike than the HE-6SE was. Every time Hifiman has "rereleased" one of their classic headphones it's always sounded different. The HE-6se is probably the closest to the HE-6 when comparing the other "rereleased" Hifiman headphones. It captures a lot of the similar sparkle, but I suspect they did some of their diaphragm thinning.

Major differences between the original HE-6 and HE-6se:
-HE-6se is notably easier to drive.
-HE-6se has more bass and it tends to linger more (mostly midbass, not subbass)
-HE-6se has more treble overall and it starts peaking earlier
-HE-6 has better bass control
-HE-6 is more detailed
-HE-6 has a blacker background which gives it more attack/decay detail
-HE-6 is faster
-HE-6 has more midrange and less of a "U" shape emphasis

With the HE-6se I think a starting point to alleviate the treble emphasis is grill mod and changing out those stock pali pads.

1613592214369.png

Nice update! Did you try using the same pads? The old Velour pads and the new Pali pads probably contribute to some big changes.

Feb 18, 2021 at 12:41 AM Post #1,262 of 1,667

elwappo99

Master Blower
Nice update! Did you try using the same pads? The old Velour pads and the new Pali pads probably contribute to some big changes.

These were from some ago. I had to dig up my notes from the comparison. Comparisons would have been apples to apples with identical pads and grill mods on both pairs. I don't have the HE-6se anymore, so anything else I have is from memory. I might have posted additional comments on other websites.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2021 at 4:49 PM Post #1,264 of 1,667

jaker782

500+ Head-Fier
Does anyone have the exact dimensions for the grill? I'm looking to 3D print a variety of grills to fit my taste but I'm not able to locate any specifications even in the Hifiman modding thread.

This isn't super exact since I am using a tape measurer, but I'm getting the stock grills to be a hair shy of 86 mm diameter x approx. 0.3 mm thick. I wouldn't print a grill larger than 84-85 mm diameter to make sure it fits. I hope that helps!

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2021 at 9:46 PM Post #1,268 of 1,667

jaker782

500+ Head-Fier
Yea, what I had from other resources was 85mm diameter but thickness is still out there.

Thickness was difficult to measure without calipers. I had to eyeball it. For custom grills, I think it's been mentioned a few times on various threads that 1/2" openings are best to ensure the resulting grill will sound the same or extremely close to completely removing the grills. I have not tested this theory but that's what I would try if designing my own grills.

Feb 18, 2021 at 11:21 PM Post #1,269 of 1,667

antdroid

Headphoneus Supremus
it is roughly 85mm x 0.3mm via digital calipers with the fabric screen removed.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2021 at 11:45 PM Post #1,270 of 1,667

DeafAudiophile

New Head-Fier
Thickness was difficult to measure without calipers. I had to eyeball it. For custom grills, I think it's been mentioned a few times on various threads that 1/2" openings are best to ensure the resulting grill will sound the same or extremely close to completely removing the grills. I have not tested this theory but that's what I would try if designing my own grills.
Thanks for the info. I'll be printing various configurations this weekend to find a preference.
it is roughly 85mm x 0.3mm via digital calipers with the fabric screen removed.
Thanks, I made the appropriate adjustments to the 3d models and hopefully my 3d printers can produce decent results considering they're about 3yrs old.

Feb 20, 2021 at 9:47 AM Post #1,271 of 1,667

gzbaga

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys, new to this thread. Heard the HE-6 OG many years ago I was impressed by the intense and precise sound. When I saw the V2 I couldn't resist and bought one. After receiving them, I briefly compared the HE6SE V2 to my HE1000 V2, and I was quite surprised to find that they come very close in terms of tonal balance. After receiving my miniDSP EARS and doing measurements of the two, that started to make more sense to me. I should also mention that they DO sound different in many aspects, but mostly in terms of presentation instead of tonality.

Again I am new to the thread and haven't gone through every post yet, so I apologise if this has already been discussed before.

HE1000V2_HE6SE.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2021 at 9:53 AM Post #1,272 of 1,667

jaker782

500+ Head-Fier
Hi guys, new to this thread. Heard the HE-6 OG many years ago I was impressed by the intense and precise sound. When I saw the V2 I couldn't resist and bought one. After receiving them, I briefly compared the HE6SE V2 to my HE1000 V2, and I was quite surprised to find that they come very close in terms of tonal balance. After receiving my miniDSP EARS and doing measurements of the two, that started to make more sense to me. I should also mention that they DO sound different in many aspects, but mostly in terms of presentation instead of tonality.

Again I am new to the thread and haven't gone through every post yet, so I apologise if this has already been discussed before.

HE1000V2_HE6SE.jpg

Very informative! Thanks for this graph! Haven't heard the HE1000, but based on this graph alone, I'd prefer the slight bump between 300hz and 1K to provide more body to lower mids. I really enjoy my 6se v2 by the way!

Feb 20, 2021 at 10:01 AM Post #1,273 of 1,667

gzbaga

100+ Head-Fier
Very informative! Thanks for this graph! Haven't heard the HE1000, but based on this graph alone, I'd prefer the slight bump between 300hz and 1K to provide more body to lower mids. I really enjoy my 6se v2 by the way!

Thanks mate. Yeah the 6SE V2 is amazing value at $699. Not only similar in tonality, IMO technical performance is also about on par with the HEK V2 when driven well. That said the HEK V2 still produces a more airy, expansive and open sound given its large open structure and driver size, making music more romantic and ever so slightly softer to my ears.

Oh I forgot to mention the highs - this is where the two are most different. HEK V2 is defintely more trebly therefore good for classical music especially strings. The 6SE is already intense and sharp so I guess it is in its own good not to have piercing highs.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2021 at 10:23 AM Post #1,274 of 1,667

ThanatosVI

Headphoneus Supremus
Thanks mate. Yeah the 6SE V2 is amazing value at $699. Not only similar in tonality, IMO technical performance is also about on par with the HEK V2 when driven well. That said the HEK V2 still produces a more airy, expansive and open sound given its large open structure and driver size, making music more romantic and ever so slightly softer to my ears.

Oh I forgot to mention the highs - this is where the two are most different. HEK V2 is defintely more trebly therefore good for classical music especially strings. The 6SE is already intense and sharp so I guess it is in its own good not to have piercing highs.
Where do you get it for 699?
Doesn't it officially cost 2000€?

Users who are viewing this thread