Hifiman HE6-SE
Mar 14, 2020 at 7:36 PM Post #601 of 3,915
I keep reading directly off the speaker taps. Does this mean that the converter box is not being used? If so does it sound better?
Yes, that's directly off the speaker taps on the back of the amp

Mar 14, 2020 at 8:38 PM Post #603 of 3,915
I keep reading directly off the speaker taps. Does this mean that the converter box is not being used? If so does it sound better?
You don't need one unless the amp uses tubes.

Mar 14, 2020 at 10:47 PM Post #604 of 3,915
ok thanks

Mar 14, 2020 at 10:52 PM Post #605 of 3,915
Might consider a vintage speaker amp and run the HE-6SE out of the speaker taps...............see my post directly above.

Thanks for the idea, sounds interesting. I'll definitely consider it. Actually, it's rather appealing since I can also use the amp for speakers in the future. Your setup looks awesome, I would love to have something like that eventually. Any specific suggestions besides the ones in your post?

I run my HE6SE off of an older Adcom 545 100 watt power amp directly off of the speaker taps and consider it a better experience than with the Jotunheim. That being said, I enjoyed the sound out of the Jot. but once getting more power I could notice that the bass had more control and detail. The treble with the Adcom is also less aggressive sounding and more musical overall. I am tempted to pick up a Vidar based on many others opinions, but at this point I do not think i will notice that large of a difference. I feel I could use more power though, I can crank the Saga+ up to 3 O'Clock on many tracks and its a solidly loud, but not too loud experience.

Best reason to go with a older power amp is cost. The Adcom came in at $250...sig. less than the Vidar and probably not too different sounding, but that is still a comparison I am going to have to make.

Seems like most reviews suggest having 6 watts or more at 50 ohms to get the most out of the headphones.

The biggest change in my system recently was moving from using a GLMK2 as a pre-amp to a Saga+ and the improvement was apparent. Since the Saga+ is a no gain pre-amp, I have much greater volume control and thing that the signal is coming through much cleaner. I am noticing just overall better sound...not exactly sure why, it just does. Having the tube flavor (small but noticeable) is also a nice bonus. On the GLMK2 I only had volume control from 8 to 11/12 to maybe 1. With the Saga+ I have control from 0-3 easy...lower level listening is much more enjoyable with a good preamp it turns out!

I have read that the Rag 1 was not a great match with the HE6SE, I have not seen too many thoughts on the Rag2 however.

The Jotunheim with MB card is a very solid performer overall and can drive lower impedance headphones...might be a good place to start for an all in one system that can be used with other headphones as well.

Older power amp can be cheaper or more expensive, can be used for bookshelves in the future (bonus) but then you need to worry about the start up and shut down procedure more. Do not want to forget to turn the knob down on the pre-amp. I usually unplug the headphones before power on or off just to be safe while everything turns on.

Good Luck.

Thanks for the Adcom suggestion. I see there are a few on ebay right now for less than $300. The performance for the price is definitely appealing. I will probably buy this one until I can get a First Watt. What dac are you using with this? Do you know if the ADI-2 DAC can be used like a preamp to control the volume for a speaker amp? I like this one since it also has an eq built in. Not sure if I can use it with a speaker amp though. It's more than I wanted to spend on a dac but if I can find a used one for a good deal I think it will be worth.

I will probably end up buying the Jot in the meantime just so I have something to use until I find a speaker amp. I also have a pair of HD650s that I could use it with.

Bought a cable and speaker tap apapter from LQi cables. Got angled pads on the way too. Silly question but which way do the pads go? With the thickest part facing back behind my ears I'm guessing?

Mar 14, 2020 at 11:04 PM Post #606 of 3,915
Thanks for the idea, sounds interesting. I'll definitely consider it. Actually, it's rather appealing since I can also use the amp for speakers in the future. Your setup looks awesome, I would love to have something like that eventually. Any specific suggestions besides the ones in your post?

Thanks for the Adcom suggestion. I see there are a few on ebay right now for less than $300. The performance for the price is definitely appealing. I will probably buy this one until I can get a First Watt. What dac are you using with this? Do you know if the ADI-2 DAC can be used like a preamp to control the volume for a speaker amp? I like this one since it also has an eq built in. Not sure if I can use it with a speaker amp though. It's more than I wanted to spend on a dac but if I can find a used one for a good deal I think it will be worth.

I will probably end up buying the Jot in the meantime just so I have something to use until I find a speaker amp. I also have a pair of HD650s that I could use it with.

Bought a cable and speaker tap apapter from LQi cables. Got angled pads on the way too. Silly question but which way do the pads go? With the thickest part facing back behind my ears I'm guessing?

Pads install with thickest part towards the rear and I like them rotated so that it is about 1-hr rotation down from parallel to the ground.

i have been between a modi 3, a soekris 1321, a mojo and currently have a modi mb on the way to test. The ADI-2 gets a lot of love around here and sounds like a terrific DAC and I would bet sounds great with the HE6SE. The eq will work just fine with a stereo amp! The 1321 is a very goodDAC and is tempting me to find a 1421, but I'm trying to hold off.

Mar 15, 2020 at 1:55 PM Post #607 of 3,915
In my opinion - based on trying the converter box - it sounds clearly better direct from the taps.

Mar 15, 2020 at 2:00 PM Post #608 of 3,915

There are so many vintage brands and options available (receivers if you want FM, integrated amps for just using iPods/computers/CD players/turntables) that it's a wide open option for you. My favorite brand is Pioneer - have 7 of their vintage amps but also have a Kenwood integrated, the KA-5700, a Marantz receiver, a 2285B, a Fisher CA-880 integrated, a Sansui AU-717, a Hitachi receiver, a Sony receiver, and all sound great with speakers and headphones. Craigslist is where I got a few, same with the Audiokarma site (a great resource for learning and buying) and we have a local vintage repair shop that sells vintage stuff.

Mar 22, 2020 at 12:51 AM Post #609 of 3,915
Thanks for all the help and the suggestions. Got a Jot for a temporary all-in-one solution while I look for a better amp. It sounds better than my HD650s already so I'm excited that it's just going to get better from here :) I'm on the hunt for a speaker amp now.

What cables are you guys using? I got one from LQi cables and now I'm wondering if there are better cables out there. I'm trying to decide between one of these:

Norne Audio Draug 3 20awg

DHC Molecule SE 22awg

Any other premium cable makers out there I should look at? Is there a type of cable that delivers better bass?

Thanks! Will post some pics soon. I bought some 1/2" hexagon grill material from ebay and I'm gonna try and make custom grills next.

Mar 22, 2020 at 2:30 PM Post #610 of 3,915
I am running my HE6se with the Draug 3. It is a nice cable that seems to tame the highs nicely on the Hifiman. Usually prefer solid silver but in this case the copper was a better match. Norne is a good company. Beautiful cables.

Mar 22, 2020 at 6:19 PM Post #611 of 3,915
I am running my HE6se with the Draug 3. It is a nice cable that seems to tame the highs nicely on the Hifiman. Usually prefer solid silver but in this case the copper was a better match. Norne is a good company. Beautiful cables.

Thanks for the Norne vote. I also like the look of their cables, especially the black transparent versions. I also read that copper is better due to the treble. Now I'm wondering if a full copper cable will still be best since I plan on using the headphones with an equalizer. Would a silver or hybrid cable be better if I plan on using an EQ?

Mar 23, 2020 at 9:38 AM Post #612 of 3,915
Thanks for the Norne vote. I also like the look of their cables, especially the black transparent versions. I also read that copper is better due to the treble. Now I'm wondering if a full copper cable will still be best since I plan on using the headphones with an equalizer. Would a silver or hybrid cable be better if I plan on using an EQ?

I'm partially on board and not on board with cables.

For HFM of the HE-500/HE-6/HE6se family, I find copper does in fact trump silver or silver plate.

HE-500 - I use Black Dragon 1 (ancient yes, got it as part of a HE5LE) - utterly destroys the stock silver plate crap

HE-6se - I use Custom Cans (really nice paracord design for cheap money (by high end standards)) destroys stock crap.

The general deal on cables is there is no cable to rule them all. Change locations of your stereo, or even the cords - it's a new beast. If you are of a mind, do some comparisons, lock in, and forget it. My power cord for my Rag I bought used in '94, it seemed better than a few others I tossed against it, I bought it, and that's the end of it, chase your rainbows thru transducer updates/changes/mods.

BTW, the HFM trio really like cooper - feed them what they like, then EQ, I did.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2020 at 11:32 AM Post #613 of 3,915
Thanks for all the help and the suggestions. Got a Jot for a temporary all-in-one solution while I look for a better amp. It sounds better than my HD650s already so I'm excited that it's just going to get better from here :) I'm on the hunt for a speaker amp now.

What cables are you guys using? I got one from LQi cables and now I'm wondering if there are better cables out there. I'm trying to decide between one of these:

Norne Audio Draug 3 20awg

DHC Molecule SE 22awg

Any other premium cable makers out there I should look at? Is there a type of cable that delivers better bass?

Thanks! Will post some pics soon. I bought some 1/2" hexagon grill material from ebay and I'm gonna try and make custom grills next.
My vote would go for the Norne Audio Draug 3 , i am expecting mine hopefully this month , Trevor work sooo slow but his cables are really good , it transformed my HD800S to another level , so i am hoping it will do the same for my HE6se/HEKse. , btw i have the LQi cables and i didnt like it :)

Mar 23, 2020 at 5:00 PM Post #614 of 3,915
I have some LQi cables as well. They are decent but the Norne are much better in my opinion. Stick with copper for Hifiman and eq from there.

Mar 23, 2020 at 6:38 PM Post #615 of 3,915
Thanks for the input guys, appreciate it. I'll go ahead and place an order for the Draug 3. Sounds like it will be worth the wait. I also wasn't impressed with the LQi. It's nice but I feel these cans deserve better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back