Hifiman HE6-SE
Jan 20, 2020 at 11:41 AM Post #571 of 3,902
I don't have the Susvara pads - yet - to replicate your findings. The MrSpeakers Voce aka "extat pad" previously) appears to be very similar, have asked for measuremtns on it. Never heard the Voce pads (off of a Voce but some users here have like the "estats" quite a big on HFM cups). I have listened to over ten pads on 5 different HFM round cans. I found to my tastes that I like the angled pad models better than flat - more depth in stage, and better focus.

On my 6SE I've tried the stock, Mrs Ether Angled, Focus A, Dekoni Fenestrated, and fat no name felt pads. I like the Ether Angled best - except it doesn't quell the 3-4k rise. The 500 and HE-6 sound great with the Ether - another way to tell the 6SE is no clone of the HE-6.
How did you like the dekonis? Those were next on my list of pads to try.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2020 at 2:11 PM Post #572 of 3,902
How do the Dekoni feme

Seemed to eat some of that 3k treble which was good, bass wasn't as flat and rolled off a bit, mids less deep. May have to give them another turn.

Jan 21, 2020 at 2:07 AM Post #573 of 3,902

Seemed to eat some of that 3k treble which was good, bass wasn't as flat and rolled off a bit, mids less deep. May have to give them another turn.

@bagwell359 really liked the Ether flow pads on their HE500 whereas I preferred the Dekoni fenestrated TH900 pads.
The pros of the EF pads are that it tightens the soundstage, makes the sound signature seem faster and less diffuse while keeping the overall tonal balance.
The pros of the TH900 fenestrated pads are that it smooths out the treble, greatly widens the soundstage and makes the HE500 much more relaxing and genre excepting.

All impressions YMMV

Jan 21, 2020 at 7:32 AM Post #574 of 3,902
@bagwell359 really liked the Ether flow pads on their HE500 whereas I preferred the Dekoni fenestrated TH900 pads.
The pros of the EF pads are that it tightens the soundstage, makes the sound signature seem faster and less diffuse while keeping the overall tonal balance.
The pros of the TH900 fenestrated pads are that it smooths out the treble, greatly widens the soundstage and makes the HE500 much more relaxing and genre excepting.

All impressions YMMV

Just to be clear, you are talking about those pads re: HE-500? Both the EF and DK 900 sound different on the HE-6 from HE-500 and even more so on the HE600SE - I find. When you used the EF pad, did you do so with the rear screens off? I find with screen on the EF doesn't give a wide stage, but off, its the widest I've ever heard on any can. I think the DK 900 on the 500 is gentle but a bit suppressed on the treble. I can imagine without the fuzzor mod the EF would seem too bright,

On the HE6SE I don't like any pad that much, but that's almost for sure a byproduct of the the 2.5-4.5k rise (nay) mountain of a rise in response.

My kingdom (such as it is) for a solution other then EQ that will tame my HE6SE - even a partial solution - say +2.5 at 1.5k and -3 at 3k, might make them usable - and then make the EQ's job much easier - thus less likely to be noticed at work.

As always, good post.

Jan 21, 2020 at 1:52 PM Post #575 of 3,902
Question about pad swapping. I'm trying to put on the Dekoni Elite Hybrid pads and am having trouble getting all of the tabs to snap into place. Will it impact the seal or the resulting sound if I don't get the pads all the way secured?

Jan 21, 2020 at 9:11 PM Post #576 of 3,902
Just to be clear, you are talking about those pads re: HE-500? Both the EF and DK 900 sound different on the HE-6 from HE-500 and even more so on the HE600SE - I find. When you used the EF pad, did you do so with the rear screens off? I find with screen on the EF doesn't give a wide stage, but off, its the widest I've ever heard on any can. I think the DK 900 on the 500 is gentle but a bit suppressed on the treble. I can imagine without the fuzzor mod the EF would seem too bright,

On the HE6SE I don't like any pad that much, but that's almost for sure a byproduct of the the 2.5-4.5k rise (nay) mountain of a rise in response.

My kingdom (such as it is) for a solution other then EQ that will tame my HE6SE - even a partial solution - say +2.5 at 1.5k and -3 at 3k, might make them usable - and then make the EQ's job much easier - thus less likely to be noticed at work.

As always, good post.

Thanks, yeah I was only talking about the HE500 because I haven't yet heard either the HE6 or 6se

Jan 21, 2020 at 10:11 PM Post #577 of 3,902
Question about pad swapping. I'm trying to put on the Dekoni Elite Hybrid pads and am having trouble getting all of the tabs to snap into place. Will it impact the seal or the resulting sound if I don't get the pads all the way secured?

You can check the seal with a bright flash light shine into the ear hole and inspect from the side. If light is seen there’s leak, it impacts the lower frequencies mostly.

To get the last tab in, what I do is use my thumb and index fingers to grab the mounting ring, push and twist on the ring, at the same time try to insert the tab. The mounting ring is somewhat flexible and can be deformed a bit with no problem. Just don’t use too much force and damage it.

Jan 22, 2020 at 12:15 PM Post #578 of 3,902
To get the last tab in, what I do is use my thumb and index fingers to grab the mounting ring, push and twist on the ring, at the same time try to insert the tab. The mounting ring is somewhat flexible and can be deformed a bit with no problem. Just don’t use too much force and damage it.
Thanks, I was finally able to get the pads secured using this approach along with a flashlight to make sure I was aligning the tabs correctly. The pads don't seem to be perfectly symmetrical (the horizontal stitch on the leather, indicating the front of the pad, does not quite line up for both pads) but for now I'm okay with that.

Jan 22, 2020 at 9:04 PM Post #579 of 3,902
Thanks, I was finally able to get the pads secured using this approach along with a flashlight to make sure I was aligning the tabs correctly. The pads don't seem to be perfectly symmetrical (the horizontal stitch on the leather, indicating the front of the pad, does not quite line up for both pads) but for now I'm okay with that.

Glad it works for you too. Of the 4 - 5 sets of pads for HE6se and Susvara I have seen, none of them are really perfectly symmetrical. As long as they seal well on your face, I guess it's not an issue...

Jan 30, 2020 at 6:53 AM Post #580 of 3,902
Fellas and @TeamHiFiMAN , while taking pictures for my ad I noticed the cable has these 'notches' in a few places. Is it common or not?

DSC00011.jpg DSC00012.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2020 at 8:33 AM Post #581 of 3,902
Fellas and @TeamHiFiMAN , while taking pictures for my ad I noticed the cable has these 'notches' in a few places. Is is common or not?

You should not worry about those, they are just kinks in the sleeving. That was one of the first things I noticed with the loaner I had, and because it had been around to many people, it had many kinks.

I just purchased an HE6SE after looking for a while, and now have to get a cable because the stock one just is not good!

Best-

Jan 30, 2020 at 1:10 PM Post #582 of 3,902
Thanks for the reply K. It's somewhat relaxing to read. I haven't seen cables do this before. In my situation a new cable that's been stashed with care in the boxes' compartment. No squashing or anything. To be honest, absolutely sub par.

Image searching does show the same from one two three different sources.

Jan 30, 2020 at 1:51 PM Post #583 of 3,902
upload_2020-1-30_13-47-48.png

While not as obvious in this picture. The tubing adjacent to the xlr plug is full of creases and has lost its shape totally. The tubing has numerous other creases as well around 6 inches from the connector.

Here is a picture of the Ananda loaner i had where the tubing split behind the 3.5 but was still functional.
upload_2020-1-30_13-49-50.png

I wish they just went with a braided cable or something not so medical looking.

Best-

Jan 30, 2020 at 3:31 PM Post #584 of 3,902
My HE6se purchased a couple of months ago had the same issue. 3 or 4 places with the same type of kink. Probably has no effect on sound quality but looks terrible. Especially at these prices. I really didn't like the stock cable and replaced it with a Norne Audio copper cable. Smoothed out the treble and looks 1000% better.

Jan 31, 2020 at 4:03 AM Post #585 of 3,902
Right. That's setlled then in the sense of being nothing unique. Maybe it was an effort to improve the cable type that came with the HEX. When moving those around they seemed to come alive, but at least did not exhibit awful kinks AFAIK.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back