Hifiman HE6-SE
Jan 20, 2021 at 8:40 AM Post #1,114 of 3,900
Just want to make sure this issue is not the standard. Don't want to go down a return loop.

Your he6se v2 does not have this recessed socket?

They all have recessed sockets like the new HE-400i, it is just some users are stating one side is more recessed than the other it seems. Regardless, due to the recess, you will need a cable with low-profile 3.5mm connectors (skinny) that will not have barrels too large to fit in the recess, if that makes sense.

20200624042654_57914.jpg

Jan 20, 2021 at 9:06 AM Post #1,115 of 3,900
Thanks for the info. Makes sense. Something like this is what my custom cable would need. Now just to figure out if I should attempt the socket drop by resoldering, or attaching a new skinny 3.5mm pin to my cable like this one:

Attachments

• eagle mini.jpg
    eagle mini.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 0
Jan 20, 2021 at 11:28 AM Post #1,116 of 3,900
After listening to Dekoni HiFiMAN sheepskin pads for a while now, I put back on the Ether angled pads.

The sheepskin pads were great at calming some of that upper treble intensity, however they're a little honky around 1kHz, which I find to be a very annoying frequency. The pads are shallower, and in addition to the honk, the soundstage came in a little bit.

I also tried Dekoni HiFiMAN velour pads - while they aren't honky around 1kHz, the bass is rolled off a bit in the sub area and the overall tone sounded very dry. Not necessarily a bad thing, just not what I was after. Everything the velour pads did, the sheepskin ones did better, and the lack of honk didn't outweigh the improvements.

I really wish Dekoni would make a Choice Suede version of these pads, because those things are freaking magical. I have Choice Suede DT pads that I can put on, but they're so good on my MrSpeakers Ether that I don't want to lose out on that.

I have ZMF Suede and Dekoni Fenestrated Sheepskin TH900 pads incoming, and I will report my findings.

Jan 20, 2021 at 11:49 AM Post #1,117 of 3,900
After listening to Dekoni HiFiMAN sheepskin pads for a while now, I put back on the Ether angled pads.

The sheepskin pads were great at calming some of that upper treble intensity, however they're a little honky around 1kHz, which I find to be a very annoying frequency. The pads are shallower, and in addition to the honk, the soundstage came in a little bit.

I also tried Dekoni HiFiMAN velour pads - while they aren't honky around 1kHz, the bass is rolled off a bit in the sub area and the overall tone sounded very dry. Not necessarily a bad thing, just not what I was after. Everything the velour pads did, the sheepskin ones did better, and the lack of honk didn't outweigh the improvements.

I really wish Dekoni would make a Choice Suede version of these pads, because those things are freaking magical. I have Choice Suede DT pads that I can put on, but they're so good on my MrSpeakers Ether that I don't want to lose out on that.

I have ZMF Suede and Dekoni Fenestrated Sheepskin TH900 pads incoming, and I will report my findings.
Have you thought about using the Dekoni choice suede for the LCD line? They are supposed to be very close to the old Vegans that everyone bought up for the m1060's.

The Ether 2 suedes are also a great option, and are a perfect fit on the hifiman cups. They are a bit pricier, but feel and sound great on HE6

Jan 20, 2021 at 12:00 PM Post #1,118 of 3,900

Which ZMF suede are you getting? I have a pair of oval suede that I actually really like on the 6se. Maybe it is the added thickness I like. I want to try the oval in cowhide or lambskin.

Jan 20, 2021 at 12:27 PM Post #1,119 of 3,900
Have you thought about using the Dekoni choice suede for the LCD line? They are supposed to be very close to the old Vegans that everyone bought up for the m1060's.

The Ether 2 suedes are also a great option, and are a perfect fit on the hifiman cups. They are a bit pricier, but feel and sound great on HE6
I had a pair, and geometrically speaking, they weren't going to fit for me. With the Ether angled pads, I have the headband extended all the way and could still use an extra click.

The Dekoni Choice Suede is its own thing. For better or worse - and would be better on the HE-6SE, there's a consistent and significant reduction around 9kHz and only 9kHz. If you have a zizzy and zazzy headphone, they're just what the doctor ordered. I put them on an LCD-4 and it became insane chocolate goodness.

Which ZMF suede are you getting? I have a pair of oval suede that I actually really like on the 6se. Maybe it is the added thickness I like. I want to try the oval in cowhide or lambskin.
Ori, I'll let you know how it works out. I have perforated leather Ori pads and they're a perfect fit.

Jan 20, 2021 at 12:45 PM Post #1,120 of 3,900
I had a pair, and geometrically speaking, they weren't going to fit for me. With the Ether angled pads, I have the headband extended all the way and could still use an extra click.

The Dekoni Choice Suede is its own thing. For better or worse - and would be better on the HE-6SE, there's a consistent and significant reduction around 9kHz and only 9kHz. If you have a zizzy and zazzy headphone, they're just what the doctor ordered. I put them on an LCD-4 and it became insane chocolate goodness.

Ori, I'll let you know how it works out. I have perforated leather Ori pads and they're a perfect fit.

Yes, the Ori are a great fit! The suede should be nice!

Jan 20, 2021 at 7:11 PM Post #1,121 of 3,900

I've got a spare set of those Dekoni TH900 fenestrated pads that I have been trying to release into the headfi world for awhile. I really like them on the HE500 but I don't need two pairs anymore.

Jan 21, 2021 at 10:10 AM Post #1,122 of 3,900
I've got a spare set of those Dekoni TH900 fenestrated pads that I have been trying to release into the headfi world for awhile. I really like them on the HE500 but I don't need two pairs anymore.
How would you describe the change? Fenestrated pads change the sound wildly depending on the headphone. There's usually a bass reduction, but sometimes it's like -21db, and sometimes it's 1 or 2

Jan 21, 2021 at 1:46 PM Post #1,123 of 3,900
How would you describe the change? Fenestrated pads change the sound wildly depending on the headphone. There's usually a bass reduction, but sometimes it's like -21db, and sometimes it's 1 or 2
Its been a few years since I had the stock pads on but I do remember no bass decrease at all (it remained my bass standard up until I got the qualitively better LCD3 which has less of a midbass hump but more subbass extension), blacker background and a slightly wider/more open sound as well. Also, if I recall, a slightly more refined treble.

Jan 23, 2021 at 2:46 PM Post #1,125 of 3,900
Welp, got my RMA set back. Took a bit over a week. I sent it to them insured priority, they sent it back first class....but I think the headband is worse. What do you guys think? :) ooooof!

Did they really just send it in a padded envelope? That is absurd! That first class postage cost them another headband!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back