Hifiman HE6-SE
Aug 31, 2021 at 6:29 AM Post #1,983 of 3,903
Hifiman open box available again on the USA Canada Hifiman store. $600 with coupon.

Edit: out of stock again, they will be back

https://store.hifiman.com/index.php/he6se-v2.html
I bought them! Arriving today. Can't decide on pads as there seems to be a split on velour and Verite' pads... Also trying to find a grill solution. (I don't have a 3d-printer). Looking forward to hooking them up and hearing stock, then going down the upgrade options... Starting with Topping A90 and SMSL SP200, and working up my amps from there. Don't think my Artemis will power them, but interested to see if I'm surprised. Entertaining Jotunheim 2, but based on what I'm reading here, I might chase the Vidar and speaker tap with volume control route in the future. Scary to think I'll not be able to get enough power out of my iFi iDSD Micro... It can even push my HEDDphone "decently".

Aug 31, 2021 at 9:25 PM Post #1,984 of 3,903
I bought them! Arriving today. Can't decide on pads as there seems to be a split on velour and Verite' pads... Also trying to find a grill solution. (I don't have a 3d-printer). Looking forward to hooking them up and hearing stock, then going down the upgrade options... Starting with Topping A90 and SMSL SP200, and working up my amps from there. Don't think my Artemis will power them, but interested to see if I'm surprised. Entertaining Jotunheim 2, but based on what I'm reading here, I might chase the Vidar and speaker tap with volume control route in the future. Scary to think I'll not be able to get enough power out of my iFi iDSD Micro... It can even push my HEDDphone "decently".
How do you know the iDSD can't power them to your liking if you haven't tried yet? How loud do people listen on average? Is everyone here deaf?? My A90 powers them to more than I need or want, and I remember the iDSD Micro being a very powerful amp..

Sep 1, 2021 at 10:00 AM Post #1,986 of 3,903
It's not about getting them to be loud, if you don't amp them correctly you loose body and dynamics, they sound anemic compared to a properly amp set
Yes you are right, but same changes FROM AMP upgrade is also seen in other headphones, noticed the same sub-bass control increase going from A90 to Burson Soloist 3x on both my HE6, HE6se, Fostex TH900 and Fostex TR50P

Sep 3, 2021 at 11:51 AM Post #1,987 of 3,903
My set is "lost" somewhere in the USPS system...

"Your package will arrive later than expected, but is still on its way. It is currently in transit to the next facility.
USPS Tracking Plusâ„¢ Available

Status​

In Transit, Arriving Late

September 2, 2021"

So I have no idea when/if they are going to arrive since they should have been here Monday, and it's now Friday. I reached out to HifiMan, and if they remain "lost" for another couple of weeks, they'll work with me. So there's that. I appreciate HiFiMan's customer service, (It's certainly not THEIR fault!) but still bummed. I was so chuffed and looking forward to enjoying the HE6 SE V2s over the holiday weekend.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2021 at 8:21 PM Post #1,988 of 3,903
Yes you are right, but same changes FROM AMP upgrade is also seen in other headphones, noticed the same sub-bass control increase going from A90 to Burson Soloist 3x on both my HE6, HE6se, Fostex TH900 and Fostex TR50P
Yep, I've noticed that some hifiman are very amp dependent and not just in power but in synergy as well, like the Arya or he1000 that can sound absolutely outstanding in some amps and ear piercing in others

Sep 3, 2021 at 9:33 PM Post #1,989 of 3,903
My set is "lost" somewhere in the USPS system...

"Your package will arrive later than expected, but is still on its way. It is currently in transit to the next facility.
USPS Tracking Plusâ„¢ Available

Status​

In Transit, Arriving Late

September 2, 2021"

So I have no idea when/if they are going to arrive since they should have been here Monday, and it's now Friday. I reached out to HifiMan, and if they remain "lost" for another couple of weeks, they'll work with me. So there's that. I appreciate HiFiMan's customer service, (It's certainly not THEIR fault!) but still bummed. I was so chuffed and looking forward to enjoying the HE6 SE V2s over the holiday weekend.
I thought those V2s were sold exclusively by Adorama…. If that’s the case we had some serious flooding in tristate area, hence delays.

Sep 4, 2021 at 2:04 AM Post #1,990 of 3,903

couldn’t have agreed more. I have the ifi idsd signature and it easily powers the he6se and sounds just as good as my smsl su-9 connected to a topping a90. They do sound very slightly different because of different dac and amp output stages

Sep 4, 2021 at 9:50 AM Post #1,992 of 3,903
Ordered some Sundara 2020 pads based on Resolve’s recommendation.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2021 at 11:46 AM Post #1,993 of 3,903
Has anyone tried the the he6se with dekoni elite hybrid pads?
Yep!

Dekoni Hybrid pads do the same thing to a lot of different headphones.

First of all, bass wallop. Like, insane bass. Not particularly fast, not particularly tight, like 2-4x the quantity. Insanity.

The hybrid pads introduce a bit of a "haze" in the upper mids and lower treble. Everything is audible, but you lose out on localization. This may not be a bad thing! I could rephrase that to mean that the image is more cohesive and "one".

Treble peakiness increases. Much crisper. If you think a headphone is fatiguing as-is, these pads will make it worse.

But hey, I wouldn't want to spend 45 minutes on a roller coaster either.

For full transparency, I used TH900 pads (which are the same dimensions, except the sides are flat instead of angled inwards a bit). I also used TH-X00 pads, and on both the TH900, HE400, HE5, and HE-6SE. The same general timbral voodoo applied to all sets.

The best pad I've used on the HE-6SE is the TH-X00 sheepskin pad with the attenuation ring, and I've tried them all (don't make me list them out). Dreadful without the ring, however.

Sep 5, 2021 at 12:22 AM Post #1,994 of 3,903
Last edited:
Sep 5, 2021 at 4:15 AM Post #1,995 of 3,903
Yep!

Dekoni Hybrid pads do the same thing to a lot of different headphones.

First of all, bass wallop. Like, insane bass. Not particularly fast, not particularly tight, like 2-4x the quantity. Insanity.

The hybrid pads introduce a bit of a "haze" in the upper mids and lower treble. Everything is audible, but you lose out on localization. This may not be a bad thing! I could rephrase that to mean that the image is more cohesive and "one".

Treble peakiness increases. Much crisper. If you think a headphone is fatiguing as-is, these pads will make it worse.

But hey, I wouldn't want to spend 45 minutes on a roller coaster either.

For full transparency, I used TH900 pads (which are the same dimensions, except the sides are flat instead of angled inwards a bit). I also used TH-X00 pads, and on both the TH900, HE400, HE5, and HE-6SE. The same general timbral voodoo applied to all sets.

The best pad I've used on the HE-6SE is the TH-X00 sheepskin pad with the attenuation ring, and I've tried them all (don't make me list them out). Dreadful without the ring, however.
Thank, you just saved me some money. Between eq and the lokius I have my he6se dialed to my preference now I just want to fix the comfort because I have Dumbo ears, so I am looking for some pads with more cushion that don't change the SQ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back