HIFIMAN HE6 or STAX SR-507...which to choose, and why?
Aug 27, 2015 at 2:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

Music Alchemist

Pokémon trainer of headphones
Update: The SR-507 would be redundant for now, since I'm getting the SR-009 and HE6.

--

I recently owned a STAX SR-207 and loved it very much, but had to move and sell it. I was planning on going for the SR-507 next, but then I realized that with an electrostatic amp, it could be in the same price range as a used HIFIMAN HE6 and speaker amp. I have heard amazing things about both of these headphones. I auditioned the HE6 once, but only on a MOON Neo 430HA. Despite how it outputs 8 W into 50 ohms, the HE6 sounded kinda bland and lifeless from that amp. People say the HE6 sounds visceral, energetic, and mindblowing from certain speaker amps, so my guess is that the headphone amp just didn't have enough current to tap into the HE6's potential.

Anyway...I listen to all types of music and favor accuracy in all aspects above all else. However, I understand that there will be a compromise here either way. The STAX reportedly has better transparency, but the HE6 reportedly has better impact and physicality. I'm sure there are many other advantages each headphone has over the other.

So my dilemma is trying to choose between them. To those who have heard both and can describe the differences, please help me, and be as specific as possible. Thanks! ^‿^

Oh, and also bear in mind that I plan on getting the STAX SR-009 once I can afford it, so perhaps the SR-507 would become redundant in that context, if I were to get an HE6 now and the SR-009 later.

Aug 27, 2015 at 4:02 PM Post #3 of 38
Bah. I'm stressing myself out over this. Probably gonna just go for the HE6 due to all the amazing impressions about how exciting it sounds when properly driven, and how it's nearly as good as (and even better than, in a few categories) the SR-009.

But feel free to share comparisons in this thread, especially if you want to convince me to go for the SR-507 instead, even though I want to get the SR-009 later.

Aug 27, 2015 at 5:11 PM Post #10 of 38
No I havent updated my signature in awhile. 
I just got my HE-6 so im awaiting a cable, lawton angled pads and looking for an amplifer for myself. However I dont think ill find any for 300 bucks lol

Aug 27, 2015 at 5:40 PM Post #11 of 38
  No I havent updated my signature in awhile. 
I just got my HE-6 so im awaiting a cable, lawton angled pads and looking for an amplifer for myself. However I dont think ill find any for 300 bucks lol

Oh, there are many speaker amps under $300 or even under $100. I'm just not sure how good they will sound with the HE6.

Hmm. I might try this one.

Aug 27, 2015 at 7:45 PM Post #12 of 38
From what I've seen from your posts, you seem to greatly prefer electrostatic headphones to dynamic and ortho headphones.  Definitely ask in the HE-6 thread about how it sounds on sub $300 speaker amps, that's a key factor. I'd like to know as well actually...

Aug 27, 2015 at 7:53 PM Post #13 of 38
  From what I've seen from your posts, you seem to greatly prefer electrostatic headphones to dynamic and ortho headphones.  Definitely ask in the HE-6 thread about how it sounds on sub $300 speaker amps, that's a key factor. I'd like to know as well actually...

I really love the transparency and realism of the two lower-end STAX I've owned, but the HE6 is a summit-fi flagship that can apparently compete with anything if given enough voltage and current...and since I also want the SR-009, the SR-507 seems a little redundant, ya know? Current plan: used (or new, if my budget is higher) HE6 + Emotiva mini-X a-100 speaker amp. Still debating whether to focus on maximizing the potential of the HE6 system first or add the SR-009 soon after and gradually optimize both systems.

Aug 27, 2015 at 9:00 PM Post #14 of 38
If you are set on a sr009, then he6 would be a good counterpart.  I think you summed it up pretty good,

Quote:
The STAX reportedly has better transparency, but the HE6 reportedly has better impact and physicality.

Could probably get a good vintage receiver/amp for $300 or less, many of us he6 owners use those straight from the speaker taps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back