HiFiMan HE5SE versus the original HE5
Jan 5, 2020 at 9:32 PM Post #211 of 263
Just out of curiosity why did you buy 3? I try to understand did you bought one then replaced with another then replaced again or did you had (or still have) all 3 at the same time? If later I am really curious why would you want 3 - and I am not suggesting that there is anything wrong with that! I am sure there is a perfectly sound explanation like gifts for friends or family or something

And with the 3rd one - I know you said it was from ebay but if you still have it I would contact CS at Hifiman and I am sure they would try to help as it sound that those are out of spec or are damaged somehow.

The HE5se still sells for about $730 new here in Japan so I was able to sell them at a profit here, that is why lol. I assumed I could just buy another pair at the cheap price but got burned since the new one wasnt as good. I just sent it back so dont have any of them anymore!

For some reason Hifiman stuff is ridiculously expensive in Japan and it almost never gets discounted the way it does elsewhere. The HE560 still sells here for around 530 bucks used.

Actually near impossible to get affordable Planar headphones here as Audeze, Hifiman and the like are all stupid expensive. The Fostex T50RP is really it.

You can get these on ebay for $179 sometimes, at that price is definitely worth trying to get a good one.

I dont know about Hifiman CS helping with it but maybe they would be willing to exchange it for a open box or something like that. I assume most manufacturers will just say its sound is not for you, I doubt they would admit there being HE5ses out there that sound off.

Jan 6, 2020 at 9:00 PM Post #212 of 263
The HE5se still sells for about $730 new here in Japan so I was able to sell them at a profit here, that is why lol. I assumed I could just buy another pair at the cheap price but got burned since the new one wasnt as good. I just sent it back so dont have any of them anymore!

For some reason Hifiman stuff is ridiculously expensive in Japan and it almost never gets discounted the way it does elsewhere. The HE560 still sells here for around 530 bucks used.

Actually near impossible to get affordable Planar headphones here as Audeze, Hifiman and the like are all stupid expensive. The Fostex T50RP is really it.

You can get these on ebay for $179 sometimes, at that price is definitely worth trying to get a good one.

I dont know about Hifiman CS helping with it but maybe they would be willing to exchange it for a open box or something like that. I assume most manufacturers will just say its sound is not for you, I doubt they would admit there being HE5ses out there that sound off.

Did you ever try the fenstrated pads? I put the elite sheepskins on from Dekoni and seems to tame the shrillness of the treble and smooth out the bass. imaging seems to still be there. It was hairy at first but once the pads settled in they worked pretty good.

I got them for $200 used (barely) and don't think they're too bad. I also think they are very thirsty. I ran them on an Aune x7 and I'm at 11:57 on the nob and the bass opened up nicely. I think the amp has a lot to do with it. I can see them being great for alt rock and 80s music. Still running them through stuff.

They don't seem to be very efficient and just need some cranking.

Edit: I have a balanced cable en route so I think that will help a lot.

Jan 6, 2020 at 9:12 PM Post #213 of 263
Did you ever try the fenstrated pads? I put the elite sheepskins on from Dekoni and seems to tame the shrillness of the treble and smooth out the bass. imaging seems to still be there. It was hairy at first but once the pads settled in they worked pretty good.

I got them for $200 used (barely) and don't think they're too bad. I also think they are very thirsty. I ran them on an Aune x7 and I'm at 11:57 on the nob and the bass opened up nicely. I think the amp has a lot to do with it. I can see them being great for alt rock and 80s music. Still running them through stuff.

They don't seem to be very efficient and just need some cranking.

Edit: I have a balanced cable en route so I think that will help a lot.

I noted this as well and would agree. The pair I have at least is definitely beyond tolerable for daily listening. I really don’t like them on most amps besides the stupidly powerful Lyr 2 I have, which at 6 wpch into 32 ohm has a ton of grunt. These are less efficient than the HE400I, I don’t care what the measurements say. I’m turning the dial 1/4 more to get full sound out of them.

Jan 6, 2020 at 9:17 PM Post #214 of 263
I noted this as well and would agree. The pair I have at least is definitely beyond tolerable for daily listening. I really don’t like them on most amps besides the stupidly powerful Lyr 2 I have, which at 6 wpch into 32 ohm has a ton of grunt. These are less efficient than the HE400I, I don’t care what the measurements say. I’m turning the dial 1/4 more to get full sound out of them.

I'm listening to the Watchmen Soundtrack Vol 1 (Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross) and I think it's not so bad, I find specific songs really highlight it. Again putting the elite sheepskin pads on them cut the treble down a lot and pushes the bass out more.

But yeah you have to crank them. I'm using a Class A amp (Aune X7) so...

Jan 7, 2020 at 8:36 PM Post #215 of 263
So I used the balanced cable and they noticeably came alive. They react much better and seem so much more...agile? The bass is much more alive and present especially with the Dekoni sheepskin elites. I felt Ori pads from my Argons MK2s muffled it a little too much. The highs still ring but aren't shrill and the location is still very precise especially in stuff like orchestral music. I played Interstellar "Mountains" and got no distortion. I played Daft Punk "Your Yrself to Dance" and all the bass was hitting and present. They are still very...glaring but not unpleasant as with the stock pads. if you can pick them up for $200 as I did and have a strong amp they're not that bad TBH. Maybe with their attributes they could be great for gaming which I will test next.

That said I feel bad for people that paid retail at launch for these, Hifiman should really make amends or something to these people because they're nothing like the HE500 at all. Which is what they were billed as so I don't get it.

I wonder had every not juxtaposed them to those beloved cans or the Sundaras if these would have maybe got a better shake.

Oh and the construction, my god why would anyone make a headband that doesn't move laterally??? it makes your pads and where you wear them on your head to much work.

I'm gonna try some FPS and stuff with them and report back. I feel bad I missed the $699.99 HE6SE sales they seem tot be the ones to get...

Jan 8, 2020 at 6:33 AM Post #216 of 263
I've sold my HE5se's in favor of the HE6se's, which are big improvement in sound quality. If people thought when the HE5se's dropped to $300 dollars that it was a bargain. When the HE6se's dropped to $699 that was the steal of the century! :L3000: It's an upgrade in every way considering you can properly drive them. At that price I'd be hard pressed to find a headphone that can top it.

I paid $315 for the 5, and spent a fair amount of time modding them, which helped, but I wouldn't pay $69 for them.

I paid $699 for the 6, given my issues with them exhaustively documented here if I can't get them any better than No - $350 yes. If I can EQ these to smooth the issues at 1.5k and 2.5-4.5k then $699 works, but not 1k, for that I'd rather a used Arya.

Jan 8, 2020 at 6:45 AM Post #217 of 263
So I used the balanced cable and they noticeably came alive. make amends or something to these people because they're nothing like the HE500 at all. Which is what they were billed as so I don't get it.

They are good enough to hear the the change from the crappy stock cable to something better - also good enough to show an amp that is better at balanced vs SE.

Where did you read that they were supposed to be like the HE-500? I believe I read every shred of output from HFM, and the only question was - is it a child of the HE5 or HE5-LE? I can testify that its nothing like either one physically and for sure not audibly. The HE-500 is basically a HE-6 with aluminum vs gold traces and is clearly better than any of these I mentioned.

Jan 8, 2020 at 11:05 AM Post #218 of 263
They are good enough to hear the the change from the crappy stock cable to something better - also good enough to show an amp that is better at balanced vs SE.

Where did you read that they were supposed to be like the HE-500? I believe I read every shred of output from HFM, and the only question was - is it a child of the HE5 or HE5-LE? I can testify that its nothing like either one physically and for sure not audibly. The HE-500 is basically a HE-6 with aluminum vs gold traces and is clearly better than any of these I mentioned.

Maybe I misread. And added the two 00s accidentally.

I used them for some gaming and they are quite great for that actually. The highs and accuracy really shine for it. They are just really hard to drive sadly but then again so are the AKG K712s and DT 1990 which are the audiophile gaming cans dujour. Sundara is great for gaming too.

the HE6SE seems to be getting a lot of momentum as they jacked back up in price. I know they are even harder to push than the HE5SE.

can you link me your HE6SE thread? I may look into grabbing a pair of those. People seem to like them a lot. What didn’t you like? Was it a sound preference or they had issues like the 5se?

thanks for you input btw I read through your nodding of these cans. I know you hate them and I understand after reading your journey.

Jan 8, 2020 at 12:09 PM Post #219 of 263
Maybe I misread. And added the two 00s accidentally.

Yup you wrote "HE500", not that it matters.

I used them for some gaming and they are quite great for that actually. The highs and accuracy really shine for it. They are just really hard to drive sadly but then again so are the AKG K712s and DT 1990 which are the audiophile gaming cans dujour. Sundara is great for gaming too.

the HE6SE seems to be getting a lot of momentum as they jacked back up in price. I know they are even harder to push than the HE5SE.

can you link me your HE6SE thread? I may look into grabbing a pair of those. People seem to like them a lot. What didn’t you like? Was it a sound preference or they had issues like the 5se?

thanks for you input btw I read through your nodding of these cans. I know you hate them and I understand after reading your journey.

Umm, no idea about quality re: gaming, so I'll step away from that. I haven't run a can w/ an amp not capable of it for decades - I've got a Rag 1 which can run a HE-6 no problem, so the 5SE is within its ability.

I'd say the HE-6 needs 4 watts @ 50 ohms. The 5SE? More efficient than the HE-500 which likes 2 wpc, so I'd say .75-1.00 SS with good damping and low impedance should do it.

The HE6SE is distinctly superior to the 5SE in any area I can name. I'd say I own 1/4 of the posts in the 6SE thread over the past 2 months, tough to point to anything but the start which tracks cautious optimism, to very high praise, to very difficult issues, to not touching it for almost a month. There is a minority, but a solid minority that finds quite a few problems with the 6SE - starting with the simple fact it IS NOT a HE-6.

Hate? Over the past 4 years I have been badly disappointed by these cans I bought.

LCD2C - $650 used, returned
X00 Mahogany - bought new, sold here for $200
HE5SE - bought new for $315, sold for mid $200's

Yup, if I had to listen with only 2 of the 3 the rest of my life the 5SE is the one I don't pick. So, worst one i bought anyhow. Glad you like yours better.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2020 at 12:19 PM Post #220 of 263
Yup you wrote "HE500", not that it matters.

Umm, no idea about quality re: gaming, so I'll step away from that. I haven't run a can w/ an amp not capable of it for decades - I've got a Rag 1 which can run a HE-6 no problem, so the 5SE is within its ability.

I'd say the HE-6 needs 4 watts @ 50 ohms. The 5SE? More efficient than the HE-500 which likes 2 wpc, so I'd say .75-1.00 SS with good damping and low impedance should do it.

The HE6SE is distinctly superior to the 5SE in any area I can name. I'd say I own 1/4 of the posts in the 6SE thread over the past 2 months, tough to point to anything but the start which tracks cautious optimism, to very high praise, to very difficult issues, to not touching it for almost a month. There is a minority, but a solid minority that finds quite a few problems with the 6SE - starting with the simple fact it IS NOT a HE-6.

Hate? Over the past 4 years I have been badly disappointed by these cans I bought.

LCD2C - $650 used, returned
X00 Mahogany - bought new, sold here for $200
HE5SE - bought new for $315, sold for mid $200's

Yup, if I had to listen with only 2 of the 3 the rest of my life the 5SE is the one I don't pick. So, worst one i bought anyhow. Glad you like yours better.

like is a strong word. I’m just trying to make them work but honestly $200 spent isn’t so bad an investment.

sonif I could get a set of HE6SE for $700 new you’d say pull the trigger?

Jan 8, 2020 at 12:25 PM Post #221 of 263
like is a strong word. I’m just trying to make them work but honestly $200 spent isn’t so bad an investment.

sonif I could get a set of HE6SE for $700 new you’d say pull the trigger?

$700 is a bit above LCD2 used, HEX v2 used, Ananda used - all charming in one way or another. Also depends on what you own/what type of sound you are chasing. If you have 5 wpc @ 50 ohms (I think and am backed by others that the HE6SE is more power hungry than the HE-6 ! ).

Assuming you come out of that very interested, buy one, worst case you don't like it and sell for almost no loss. It's very impressive in many ways. Use of an EQ may get you over the line to great assuming you don't think EQ is a four letter word.

Jan 8, 2020 at 12:56 PM Post #222 of 263
$700 is a bit above LCD2 used, HEX v2 used, Ananda used - all charming in one way or another. Also depends on what you own/what type of sound you are chasing. If you have 5 wpc @ 50 ohms (I think and am backed by others that the HE6SE is more power hungry than the HE-6 ! ).

Assuming you come out of that very interested, buy one, worst case you don't like it and sell for almost no loss. It's very impressive in many ways. Use of an EQ may get you over the line to great assuming you don't think EQ is a four letter word.

I have an Aune x7 so it should push it okay. It’s class A.

I have a set of LCDX I just got for Christmas which I love so I’ll give them a go. I pulled the trigger. They seem to be selling well above that currently so I’m sure as you said I could get my money out of it. I also have hd650 Argons Th610 and those akgs so these seem like they’ll slot in a space. The he5se might be on tot he nest owner with me returning the pads and balanced cable since the 6 comes with them.

Anadanas seem very polarizing with people claiming they love or hate them. I have a set of LCD2C which I like so we probably have different tastes? They may be getting moved this with the 5se.

Jan 8, 2020 at 1:38 PM Post #223 of 263
I have an Aune x7 so it should push it okay. It’s class A.

I have a set of LCDX I just got for Christmas which I love so I’ll give them a go. I pulled the trigger. They seem to be selling well above that currently so I’m sure as you said I could get my money out of it. I also have hd650 Argons Th610 and those akgs so these seem like they’ll slot in a space. The he5se might be on tot he nest owner with me returning the pads and balanced cable since the 6 comes with them.

Anadanas seem very polarizing with people claiming they love or hate them. I have a set of LCD2C which I like so we probably have different tastes? They may be getting moved this with the 5se.

I don't like the Ananda treble just listed it to cover the bases. You've got a lot of cans, 6SE is somewhat different from them. I'm probably more treble sensitive than you because most AKGs someplace in lower or mid treble makes my teeth go on edge.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2020 at 1:57 PM Post #224 of 263
I don't like the Ananda treble just listed it to cover the bases. You've got a lot of cans, 6SE is somewhat different from them. I'm probably more treble sensitive than you because most AKGs someplace in lower or mid treble makes my teeth go on edge.

For me it’s like when I played guitar. The tones and sounds you get from them all are different. Some force you to listen. Some just make you comfy and allow you to listen and do other things...I think my headphones come from the place where I used to own ten guitars in my twenties when I played regularly.

When I went treble and bright I’d play my telecasters etc. so I do the same with my headphones. Tho I may start parting with some that overlap.

Jan 8, 2020 at 4:37 PM Post #225 of 263
For me it’s like when I played guitar. The tones and sounds you get from them all are different. Some force you to listen. Some just make you comfy and allow you to listen and do other things...I think my headphones come from the place where I used to own ten guitars in my twenties when I played regularly.

When I went treble and bright I’d play my telecasters etc. so I do the same with my headphones. Tho I may start parting with some that overlap.

My ear is pitched towards Les Paul Faded Worn Cherry, Contraltos, Cellos; toss in a good Oban single malt, and I'm there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back