HiFiMan HE5SE versus the original HE5
May 2, 2019 at 12:16 AM Post #16 of 263
You can always equalize and tame the treble peaks.

May 2, 2019 at 7:44 AM Post #17 of 263
Hmmm.... so I guess the big question is has the tuning been tweaked for this updated version? Reviews state the bass is terrific and mids are nicely done and rather engaging, but the treble talk scares me! If these have better bass and more prominent mids than the Sundara without going overboard on the treble, I may have to give these a shot.

I would hope HFM would do something about the treble, or maybe they did use a different model to base from... the decline in price could mean they have issues or HFM has saturated the market.

May 2, 2019 at 10:09 AM Post #18 of 263
I would hope HFM would do something about the treble, or maybe they did use a different model to base from... the decline in price could mean they have issues or HFM has saturated the market.

True, and the price is the main reason these are now on my radar. I just wish there were more reviews. Adorama does have a 30-day return policy, so I could give them a shot and only have to pay return shipping if I can't handle the treble. I am very happy with my HEX, but am curious how they would compare to the HE5se. I've had and sold the 560, 500, and Sundara for various reasons, the HEX besting them all to my ears, so why not give the HE5se a shot? I actually really liked the Sundara, but in the end thought the bass lacked punch and mids were a bit too recessed for my preference. There is a Youtube review of the HE5se that basically states they have a more euphoric, meatier sound than the Sundara, although slightly colored and less accurate tonality overall. More of a fun sounding can that would play well with rock music according to the reviewer.

May 2, 2019 at 10:30 AM Post #20 of 263
I nominate jaker782 to take the plunge on these to experiment and report back to us with comparisons to the other HFM headphones. You know, for science.

Ha! Only if you agree to buy it from me if I don't like it! I am not sure my wife would second your nomination. I can see it now... "You didn't really just get another headphone in the mail did you??? You have a serious problem!"

May 2, 2019 at 11:37 AM Post #21 of 263
True, and the price is the main reason these are now on my radar. I just wish there were more reviews. Adorama does have a 30-day return policy, so I could give them a shot and only have to pay return shipping if I can't handle the treble. I am very happy with my HEX, but am curious how they would compare to the HE5se. I've had and sold the 560, 500, and Sundara for various reasons, the HEX besting them all to my ears, so why not give the HE5se a shot? I actually really liked the Sundara, but in the end thought the bass lacked punch and mids were a bit too recessed for my preference. There is a Youtube review of the HE5se that basically states they have a more euphoric, meatier sound than the Sundara, although slightly colored and less accurate tonality overall. More of a fun sounding can that would play well with rock music according to the reviewer.

Well the Sundara is a very behaved, buttoned down 400. The 560 and the Ananda both have trebles that can annoy me. I'm pretty high on the 6, 500, and HEX. My HE5-LE has a treble that can annoy me WORSE than the 560 and Ananda - in particular on very complex music. OTOH, it has moments of sounding really good. It's the most erratic sounding of all my HFM's. If it is the father of these new ones, if they fixed even half of the treble, then it's a steal. I do know that Dark SIde flummox the heck out my pair.

May 3, 2019 at 2:21 PM Post #23 of 263
Anyone know how these compare to the hifiman HE-500 or HE-560? Not sure if I should get the hifiman HE5se for $350 or wait for a deal on either of those.

HE5se - haven't heard, said to be similar to HE5-LE, which I own, and if its the same or very similar unless you like a wild treble, I'd step carefully.

560 new would be different than the 560's I have heard.

The 500 even unmodded is better than the HE5-LE or 560 v1 and v2, but hasn't been made in 4+ years, used only. Modded well it stomps all of those. $350-420 used + mods.

May 3, 2019 at 6:30 PM Post #24 of 263
HE5se - haven't heard, said to be similar to HE5-LE, which I own, and if its the same or very similar unless you like a wild treble, I'd step carefully.

560 new would be different than the 560's I have heard.

The 500 even unmodded is better than the HE5-LE or 560 v1 and v2, but hasn't been made in 4+ years, used only. Modded well it stomps all of those. $350-420 used + mods.

So do you like your HE5-LE? How would you say the low end is.

I have Sennheiser 650s and wondering if it will be different enough to give them a shot or if I should look for a deal on hifiman 560s instead

May 3, 2019 at 7:26 PM Post #25 of 263
So do you like your HE5-LE? How would you say the low end is.

I have Sennheiser 650s and wondering if it will be different enough to give them a shot or if I should look for a deal on hifiman 560s instead

The bass can be like the HE-6 - a real smack in the face - at times. Mostly though it's good.

Senn 650's not like either HFM. Both HFM have more impactful bass, and both have some fairly sharp treble at times.

May 4, 2019 at 10:50 PM Post #26 of 263
The bass can be like the HE-6 - a real smack in the face - at times. Mostly though it's good.

Senn 650's not like either HFM. Both HFM have more impactful bass, and both have some fairly sharp treble at times.
I just got the HE5se and have been comparing them to my Sennheiser 650s. I definitely like the bass more on the HE5-SE. In general the HE5-SE seem more lively. I do notice a bit of peakiness with the treble but nothing terrible yet. Again, it's been very small sample size, but I'm definitely considering just keeping them.

May 5, 2019 at 7:45 AM Post #27 of 263
I just got the HE5se and have been comparing them to my Sennheiser 650s. I definitely like the bass more on the HE5-SE. In general the HE5-SE seem more lively. I do notice a bit of peakiness with the treble but nothing terrible yet. Again, it's been very small sample size, but I'm definitely considering just keeping them.

That's great for you, and I might be tempted to get a pair myself, like I said, if they fixed even half of the treble of my version it could be a steal. As is mine is better than any 400 version. The question is will the treble upset me like the 560, Ananda, HE5-LE, or will it have obvious energy in the treble like the 6 and 500, but, not be annoying?

I'm still bummed that the HE6se is seen as obviously not as good as ether HE-6 version. Love the sound, hate plunking down the money for a can that is 5-9 years old.

May 5, 2019 at 8:51 PM Post #28 of 263
I've always wanted to try the HE5se's. At this price I just might have to give them a try. I had the HE6se's and I enjoyed their sound quite a bit. But when I got my Auteurs I decided to let them go because I thought they did similar things. Plus the Auteurs beat them handily in the musicality department as well. I do have the HE-500's and I wonder how they would compare. From what I'm reading the HE-500's has the better sound. Decisions, decisions.......

May 10, 2019 at 8:11 PM Post #29 of 263
The HE5se's arrived today. I'm giving them a go now. Initial impressions are they are the little brother to the HE-500. Not as much bass as I was expecting and the treble is not as bright as I've been reading. The treble on these is slightly more open than the HE-500's. But it's not peaky or shrill as I remember the HE-560's to be. In fact I like the detail I'm hearing the treble. I'm listening to India Arie's "Beautiful" and the acoustic guitar sounds so natural, clean, and open. Listening to the HE-500's on the same song the bass is deeper but the midrange is thicker sounding. The treble doesn't have the same clarity on the HE-500 as what I'm hearing on the HE5se's. They are a little easier to drive than the HE-500 too. The cable that comes with the HE5se's is not bad but I already want to change it to an all copper, balanced cable to give it more body like my HE-500's have. I'll give them some time to get some hours on them but so far I like what I'm hearing. For the reduced price I think these are keepers as they have some potential with a couple of mods namely the pads and the possibly the cable.

May 10, 2019 at 10:02 PM Post #30 of 263
The HE5se's arrived today. I'm giving them a go now. Initial impressions are they are the little brother to the HE-500. Not as much bass as I was expecting and the treble is not as bright as I've been reading. The treble on these is slightly more open than the HE-500's. But it's not peaky or shrill as I remember the HE-560's to be. In fact I like the detail I'm hearing the treble. I'm listening to India Arie's "Beautiful" and the acoustic guitar sounds so natural, clean, and open. Listening to the HE-500's on the same song the bass is deeper but the midrange is thicker sounding. The treble doesn't have the same clarity on the HE-500 as what I'm hearing on the HE5se's. They are a little easier to drive than the HE-500 too. The cable that comes with the HE5se's is not bad but I already want to change it to an all copper, balanced cable to give it more body like my HE-500's have. I'll give them some time to get some hours on them but so far I like what I'm hearing. For the reduced price I think these are keepers as they have some potential with a couple of mods namely the pads and the possibly the cable.

Very interesting! I know it is early, but do you prefer these to the 500? If the treble really is fixed from the original HE-5, I may also take a chance on these. Do you find the treble to be fatiguing at all? Also, you touched on the mids a little, but wondered if you could elaborate a bit more with maybe a comparison for classic and modern rock listening? Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back