Hifiman HE400se
May 25, 2021 at 9:23 AM Post #287 of 664
I dunno how hard these guys are to drive now. I tried it, for the hell of it, from my Yamaha MG10XU mixer headphone out which is crappy: 110 Ω, 100 mW out. They sound pretty good! I haven't carefully listened and compared to my amps but its fine for a quick listen.

May 26, 2021 at 9:51 AM Post #288 of 664
Hi guys, i have an unfair question to ask. Got a btr5 and fiio fh3 couple of weeks back. Never owned any headphone be it open back or close. Really itching to try this he400se since this comes at a really good price. Can someone tell me if they are worth the extra investment over the fh3 s? Being an open back obviously it'll have bigger soundstage. But what about rest of the things? Tonality, detail retrieval, instrument seperation, dynamic range? If 400se is better in those regards too, i'll think of selling the fh3 and get these instead. Really dont need two since most of my listening is in front of a computer only. But i do want the maximum fidelity that i can get in this price range.
ABSOLUTELY.

They're very different products. The FH3 is an IEM with dynamic drivers. Closed. The HE-400se is an over-ear with planar-magnetic drivers. Open back. Very different sound signatures and characteristics.

Keep the FH3's for portable use and get the HE-400se's for home use. A superb combination.

As a prior poster said, the HE-400se is one of the best values in audiophilia. Fantastic cans for the price.

May 28, 2021 at 12:44 PM Post #289 of 664
I don't have a desktop amp. I only use a portable DAP at this point (iBasso DX160). It puts out about 1.2W though, so I am not sure there would be much improvement. I can't say for sure because I have not listened to these particular phones with any other amp. The sound is a bit better from wired, but can't reach very good volume, whereas the Bluemini is about 97% there, but has massive volume. At this point I have to say that Hifiman tuned that device perfect for the Deva.

I may give them a listen through my home amp and see if it gets any better or not. What are you listening to the Deva from?
I only have the Bluemini for a source at the moment. I'm thinking about getting an amp if it would improve quality. The other big issue with me at the moment is getting high quality source material. I've been using spotify and I'm sure that is my bottleneck now.

May 29, 2021 at 1:14 PM Post #290 of 664
I only have the Bluemini for a source at the moment. I'm thinking about getting an amp if it would improve quality. The other big issue with me at the moment is getting high quality source material. I've been using spotify and I'm sure that is my bottleneck now.
Spotify is introducing a lossless, hi-fi tier later this year. Problem solved! Hopefully it's free, following Apple and Amazon HD's lead.

Jun 1, 2021 at 3:40 PM Post #292 of 664
Jun 7, 2021 at 1:32 AM Post #295 of 664
The HIFIMAN HE400se just arrived (review unit).

These are my first ever "audiophile" headphones. I ain't counting the Romoss I won off of a raffle a few years back 😂

First off, the build material when compared to IEMs is definitely incomparable. Lots of plastic. Understandable, as these require more materials (bigger as well) to produce. But that hybrid velour+pleather pad is comfortable.

Second, that cable is really bad. Already have plans to request to a local modder for custom an MMCX-to-3.5mm adapter for 16 USD.

Third, I got weirded out by the sound when I first put them on. Something sounded wrong.

And lastly, I don't know how, but I left them a few songs running at my listening volume and the sound just changed for the better. The soundstage blows me away coming from mainly IEMs.

Using the Earstudio HUD100 MK2 (bypass, high power), at 32/100 volume.

IMG20210607130415.jpg

P.S. I'm still getting used to wearing headphones and it's weird as heck. Is there a correct angle in wearing them?

I feel like the overall SQ is different as well from IEMs/Earbuds (or might just be the planar).

By the way, I've got small ears and it fits the hole of the earpad. Is that bad?

EDIT: I now understand the transition - it was because the HE400se is close to reference tuning where I got so used to V-shape

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2021 at 9:51 AM Post #298 of 664
The HIFIMAN HE400se just arrived (review unit).

These are my first ever "audiophile" headphones. I ain't counting the Romoss I won off of a raffle a few years back 😂

First off, the build material when compared to IEMs is definitely incomparable. Lots of plastic. Understandable, as these require more materials (bigger as well) to produce. But that hybrid velour+pleather pad is comfortable.

Second, that cable is really bad. Already have plans to request to a local modder for custom an MMCX-to-3.5mm adapter for 16 USD.

Third, I got weirded out by the sound when I first put them on. Something sounded wrong.

And lastly, I don't know how, but I left them a few songs running at my listening volume and the sound just changed for the better. The soundstage blows me away coming from mainly IEMs.

Using the Earstudio HUD100 MK2 (bypass, high power), at 32/100 volume.

IMG20210607130415.jpg

P.S. I'm still getting used to wearing headphones and it's weird as heck. Is there a correct angle in wearing them?

I feel like the overall SQ is different as well from IEMs/Earbuds (or might just be the planar).

By the way, I've got small ears and it fits the hole of the earpad. Is that bad?

EDIT: I now understand the transition - it was because the HE400se is close to reference tuning where I got so used to V-shape
First off, contratz on your first "audiophile grade" headphones, AND your first planars! Hifiman has some outstanding entry level "audiophile" gear IMO.

If you are used to just IEMs and also not used to planar magnets, then yes they will sound a bit off (only insomuch as what you are used to). This is normal because orthodynamic (planar) headphones have a bit of a different sound to them. This is one of the reasons so many people love them so much (myself included).

So you ordered an adaptor to use with an IEM cable (coming from MMCX to 3.5mm)? If it were me, I would just order a cheap cable from the web. Something like THIS. Also keep in mind (if you end up not fond of the way they sound), that 2.5vrms is not a lot for planar headphones. I only say this so that you are aware that you may not be getting the full potential sound you possibly can with this DAC. The HE400SE are easy to drive, but need more power to drive them well. But, if you are happy with the sound, then all is well.

I believe that as long as you have the "R" on your right side when putting them on your head, then that should provide the angle needed to be "wearing them properly". If you look at the pads, they are thinner in the front, and thicker in the back. This will provide a (consistant and) natural angle when wearing them.

Yes. As mentioned earlier, going from IEM to headphones IS indeed a different sound, but add the fact that they are planar will make them even different from other headphones. Headphones of this type are known as Circumaural or AE (around ear) headphones. Keep in mind that because these are open back there will be 0 isolation from noises from without, and noises from within (people will hear what you are listening to even at lower volume levels). So, to answer your last question, yes your ears are supposed to be fully enveloped by the headphones while they are being worn.

Jun 7, 2021 at 10:14 AM Post #299 of 664
First off, contratz on your first "audiophile grade" headphones, AND your first planars! Hifiman has some outstanding entry level "audiophile" gear IMO.

If you are used to just IEMs and also not used to planar magnets, then yes they will sound a bit off (only insomuch as what you are used to). This is normal because orthodynamic (planar) headphones have a bit of a different sound to them. This is one of the reasons so many people love them so much (myself included).

So you ordered an adaptor to use with an IEM cable (coming from MMCX to 3.5mm)? If it were me, I would just order a cheap cable from the web. Something like THIS. Also keep in mind (if you end up not fond of the way they sound), that 2.5vrms is not a lot for planar headphones. I only say this so that you are aware that you may not be getting the full potential sound you possibly can with this DAC. The HE400SE are easy to drive, but need more power to drive them well. But, if you are happy with the sound, then all is well.

I believe that as long as you have the "R" on your right side when putting them on your head, then that should provide the angle needed to be "wearing them properly". If you look at the pads, they are thinner in the front, and thicker in the back. This will provide a (consistant and) natural angle when wearing them.

Yes. As mentioned earlier, going from IEM to headphones IS indeed a different sound, but add the fact that they are planar will make them even different from other headphones. Headphones of this type are known as Circumaural or AE (around ear) headphones. Keep in mind that because these are open back there will be 0 isolation from noises from without, and noises from within (people will hear what you are listening to even at lower volume levels). So, to answer your last question, yes your ears are supposed to be fully enveloped by the headphones while they are being worn.
Thanks a lot for the detailed reply! Yeah, these are the first "decent" headphones I've put on my head 😁😂

I think I have a feeling it's the planar timbre that weirded me out. Or maybe it's just because of the form factor.

Change of plans - won't be buying them. I found this cable for sale which seems to be decent that I'll order in the coming days once they have a 120cm variant in stock. I've asked Openheart already in the past regarding their products, but unfortunately they don't have a store on Shopee (online platform I use). But there is a listing for 24 USD which is double the price compared to AE. Was interested in their MMCX cables because of the robust-looking connectors. I also have plans to buy an amplifier some time in the future, but I'm currently riding on Audiophile Heaven's/Dobrescu's written review on the HUD100 MK2 that it can drive planar headphones well. Although I do have a feeling that imaging will improve with more amping.

Yeah, I did notice that the pads are angled. Also have some heat shrink tube lying around as a solution. But I won't be needing that as I got used on how to "know" which is L & R quite fast.

Regarding the HE400se isolation and leakage, or its lack thereof is quite an issue in our home 😂 My family members are complaining about the music coming out of the cans 😝 And that's even with my usual listening volume of low-medium... Thanks for giving the answer to my problem/concern on whether it's bad/correct that my ears are covered fully by the pads. I'm like a baby learning to crawl with regards to headphones.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2021 at 10:29 PM Post #300 of 664
Just hooked up the HE400se to an old Kenwood KA-7100 we had lying around the house. And one thing's for sure - I don't think I can go back to the HUD100 MK2 with the HIFIMAN + KA-7100.

I'm at a lost with the sonic difference. Imaging is sharper. Soundstage opened up. Bass hits harder and deeper and is more bodied. Separation vastly improved. Detail-retrieval is astonishing.

I do have to mention that this setup is very getto as I'm using the DAC of my phone as well as a random RCA cable I found here somewhere (not sure what its really called but I used it to connect to AUX; White and yellow-colored). Still using the stock cable and the pads which are heavenly.

Here's the specs of the amplifier I am currently running them with:
1623118999229.png

One bummer is that I hear distortion. Not sure if it's just due to dirty components (the amplifier's internals haven't been cleaned for years now. I am very sure of that.) or it's the HE400se itself.

IMG20210608102821.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back