Hifiman HE400se
May 16, 2021 at 4:32 AM Post #271 of 664
The HE400se is now reviewed on HFN. And I like it!

https://www.headfonia.com/hifiman-he400se-review/

Hifiman HE400se (2).jpg

May 16, 2021 at 12:27 PM Post #274 of 664
Say, is the SE really harder to drive than HE400i 2020?
at 25 Ohm, 400SE should be easier to drive than 400i 2020's 32 Ohm but every other report state, SE need more juice than 2020.
Impedance is only part of the driving equation. Sensitivity is just as important of a parameter, if not more.

The HE-400se have a sensitivity of 91db. That's low. And for driving without an amp, higher sensitivity is better.

HE400i 2000 have a sensitivity of 93 db, making them a smidge easier to drive.

May 16, 2021 at 8:43 PM Post #275 of 664
The HE400se is now reviewed on HFN. And I like it!

https://www.headfonia.com/hifiman-he400se-review/

Hifiman HE400se (2).jpg

Thanks for another great review! I read a lot of your site's reviews as they come up in Google searches often, and I ain't mad about that. :)

One small niggle: I saw nearly every variation of casing for the "se" moniker in the model designation. It seems HiFiMAN likes all lowercase there, so HE-400se, but I noted the review used in addition to the official casing, the variants 400SE and 400Se.

Not a big deal, obviously, but there may be people even more annoying than me for whom these variant casings will cause great anguish! :sweat_smile:

May 18, 2021 at 12:20 AM Post #276 of 664
Finally picked up a dedicated amp instead of the one built into the M500, and man these headphones really improved. I always felt like they were being held back by the power they were given. I'm still running them unbalanced for now, but the extra power has really helped. I think anything around ~1W/32Ohm output will be capable of providing enough power. The 507mW/32Ohm that my M500 wasn't really enough for me personally.

May 18, 2021 at 1:04 AM Post #278 of 664
Finally picked up a dedicated amp instead of the one built into the M500, and man these headphones really improved. I always felt like they were being held back by the power they were given. I'm still running them unbalanced for now, but the extra power has really helped. I think anything around ~1W/32Ohm output will be capable of providing enough power. The 507mW/32Ohm that my M500 wasn't really enough for me personally.
Good for you! I feel the same way about my Deva and HE400S. That seems to be the sweet spot. They don't scale very well beyond that. It is like that is about as good as they get. Which I still find strange since (on paper) they are fairly easy to drive.

The Bluemini BT module for the Deva is another story altogether. Hifiman has done some serious magic in that lil' thing. It has plenty of driving power for them, and wow, the volume that can be achieved...... Anyhow, congratz'! What amp did you decide on?

Last edited:
May 20, 2021 at 4:11 PM Post #279 of 664
So guys I upgraded from the HE 400i 2020's to the Sundara and I have no extra words... Just saying😀😀👀👀

So far this headphone seems to be causing more of us to upgrade to better Hifiman cans. Ha!

I still have my HE400se for now. No plans for it yet. The HE500 though I got that i mentioned a few pages back... totally different level of fidelity imho

May 20, 2021 at 5:35 PM Post #280 of 664
Good for you! I feel the same way about my Deva and HE400S. That seems to be the sweet spot. They don't scale very well beyond that. It is like that is about as good as they get. Which I still find strange since (on paper) they are fairly easy to drive.

The Bluemini BT module for the Deva is another story altogether. Hifiman has done some serious magic in that lil' thing. It has plenty of driving power for them, and wow, the volume that can be achieved...... Anyhow, congratz'! What amp did you decide on?

I got the Devas recently and I've been thinking about getting an amp. Do you see any improvements over the Bluemini with other amps? Or is the Deva with the Bluemini about as good as it gets? Thanks

May 20, 2021 at 5:56 PM Post #281 of 664
I got the Devas recently and I've been thinking about getting an amp. Do you see any improvements over the Bluemini with other amps? Or is the Deva with the Bluemini about as good as it gets? Thanks
I don't have a desktop amp. I only use a portable DAP at this point (iBasso DX160). It puts out about 1.2W though, so I am not sure there would be much improvement. I can't say for sure because I have not listened to these particular phones with any other amp. The sound is a bit better from wired, but can't reach very good volume, whereas the Bluemini is about 97% there, but has massive volume. At this point I have to say that Hifiman tuned that device perfect for the Deva.

I may give them a listen through my home amp and see if it gets any better or not. What are you listening to the Deva from?

May 21, 2021 at 12:58 AM Post #282 of 664
Yes they scale very well with added power and quality.
I use the BlueMini only for easy listening on the fly.
In every other occasion I run them from something else.

May 21, 2021 at 3:35 PM Post #283 of 664
I don't have a desktop amp. I only use a portable DAP at this point (iBasso DX160). It puts out about 1.2W though, so I am not sure there would be much improvement. I can't say for sure because I have not listened to these particular phones with any other amp. The sound is a bit better from wired, but can't reach very good volume, whereas the Bluemini is about 97% there, but has massive volume. At this point I have to say that Hifiman tuned that device perfect for the Deva.

I may give them a listen through my home amp and see if it gets any better or not. What are you listening to the Deva from?

Besides the crazy HE-6, it seems an amp that can do 1w @ 32ohm is a sweet spot for most Hifiman cans.

May 25, 2021 at 8:17 AM Post #284 of 664
Hi guys, i have an unfair question to ask. Got a btr5 and fiio fh3 couple of weeks back. Never owned any headphone be it open back or close. Really itching to try this he400se since this comes at a really good price. Can someone tell me if they are worth the extra investment over the fh3 s? Being an open back obviously it'll have bigger soundstage. But what about rest of the things? Tonality, detail retrieval, instrument seperation, dynamic range? If 400se is better in those regards too, i'll think of selling the fh3 and get these instead. Really dont need two since most of my listening is in front of a computer only. But i do want the maximum fidelity that i can get in this price range.

May 25, 2021 at 8:38 AM Post #285 of 664
While the FH3 is an excellent iem for the price , the HE400se in one of the greatest values in open back planar magnetic (and not only) headphones.

Your experience will be much better and more natural with it.

BUT you must definitely get a balanced cable because it is quite difficult to drive and you must use the BTR5 balanced output.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back