Hifiman HE400se
Nov 24, 2020 at 5:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 664

Tano

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi guys, I've just came across this headphone in AliExpress for 100 euros and couldn't resist myself and bought them.
-19068724981963396328.jpg

They seem to be a new entry level Hifiman planar magnetic but couldn't find any information beside the specs and a few post in reddit. Did anyone try those or have any information? I already have the Devas and at 100 euros I'd be happy if they sound similar to them.
Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2020 at 8:13 AM Post #4 of 664
No problem. Audiophile terms escapes me but I'll try.
Reading he400 series reviews, I'm expecting sub-par bass and bright tone. But what i got is actually a great all-rounder. The bass is tight, fast and impactful while sub-bass could use some EQ. Vocals are what blows me away though, It sounds very full and natural. Details, separation and clarity are great. Nothing to write home about soundstage.

comfort-wise, they are uncomfortable for me.

Nov 25, 2020 at 9:20 AM Post #5 of 664
No problem. Audiophile terms escapes me but I'll try.
Reading he400 series reviews, I'm expecting sub-par bass and bright tone. But what i got is actually a great all-rounder. The bass is tight, fast and impactful while sub-bass could use some EQ. Vocals are what blows me away though, It sounds very full and natural. Details, separation and clarity are great. Nothing to write home about soundstage.

comfort-wise, they are uncomfortable for me.
Thanks man, no need to get technical, you expressed it very well. Reading that, it looks like it has some similarities with the Devas. I have them eqd with a small boost on the subass.
It's nice that vocals sound good, as that's a common problem of some cheap planar magnetics, where vocals sound too far away.
About the comfort, I think they should be almost the same as the Devas, at least looking at the design, and those are fairly comfortable for me, so I think I'll be okay with that.
Thanks again for sharing your thoughts!

Nov 25, 2020 at 3:20 PM Post #8 of 664
from the look of it they use the same magnets as Deva (ferrite) but on one side (inside)
those magnets are very cheap and weak, also fragile (they are very easy to break)
085793650404714c267005a62df02072.jpg
Yeah they look pretty much the same, can't blame them for using cheap magnets for a entry level like the HE400se, not on the deva tho. We'll see how durable are those.

Nov 25, 2020 at 3:28 PM Post #9 of 664
Yeah they look pretty much the same, can't blame them for using cheap magnets for a entry level like the HE400se, not on the deva tho. We'll see how durable are those.
agree, no blame at all for such a cheap model, but i think it is better to pay a little bit more and get the HE400i 2020 revision that uses the stronger and more durable neodymium magnets

Nov 25, 2020 at 3:45 PM Post #10 of 664
agree, no blame at all for such a cheap model, but i think it is better to pay a little bit more and get the HE400i 2020 revision that uses the stronger and more durable neodymium magnets
Yeah, totally agree, I'm just a sucker for cheap chi-fi so I pulled the trigger instantly. Anyways I think they are gonna worth it.

Nov 27, 2020 at 12:39 AM Post #15 of 664
Just tried AutoEQ with Hifiman Deva (wired) preset. It's a good match, I can hear the improvement. Mids are not recessed anymore for one.

So the midst are recessed on them without eq?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back