HIFIMAN HE400se - weird things happening.
Nov 16, 2023 at 9:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

UserNoMastr

New Head-Fier
Hi there.
I have a HIFIMAN HE400se headphones. I've heard various rumors about average quality control in this company with low-end headphones. But my problem is something else. I think so... Namely, I noticed that when I quickly stand or sit down from the chair, with headphones on my head, connected to the source but without playing any music), they make quite an audible hiss. Kind of like air being forced through a piston. Sometimes you can also hear occasional crackling sounds. When playing sounds (music, movie, game) everything is ok, I think. Is there anything going on with the headphones that would suggest sending them to the manufacturer for warranty? The height difference between sitting and standing is only about 1m. Without a connected source (usb dac aune x1s) nothing can be heard when I get up or/and sit down.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2023 at 12:56 PM Post #2 of 7
Is the sound only triggered during the up/down movement when standing/sitting? Can you reproduce it by manipulating the cable in other ways? I'd be tempted to point to a flaky cable or connection, but if moving up and down is literally the only thing that causes the noise I'm more inclined to think it's due to EMI? Since headphones are just highly sensitive magnetic transducers, moving them through an electromagnetic field could theoretically generate spurious noises. Is there a strong EM source nearby? Maybe a WiFi router?

Nov 16, 2023 at 2:09 PM Post #3 of 7
Is the sound only triggered during the up/down movement when standing/sitting? Can you reproduce it by manipulating the cable in other ways? I'd be tempted to point to a flaky cable or connection, but if moving up and down is literally the only thing that causes the noise I'm more inclined to think it's due to EMI? Since headphones are just highly sensitive magnetic transducers, moving them through an electromagnetic field could theoretically generate spurious noises. Is there a strong EM source nearby? Maybe a WiFi router?
It already happened before few times. Stopped. And appeared again. And now. It stopped. For now... I changed nothing. Half day long I'm acting like weird crazy frogg-man doing squats-thing vertically, with headphones. And with he400se actually I'm looking like some kind of insect slash human slash something. They are kind a massive. But, back to the topic. That sound was only appearing on second half way to the end point of the movement. Up and down. Like some weird inertia took action. Actually more like when movement start to slowing down. But now it' gone. And my wife start looking on me with some strange expression on her face.
And nothing more changed. Well. My wife appeared. But as powerful little woman she is, EMP field dampening is not in her "to do" list. Or effect. Freezing - sometimes. But nothing with EMP.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2023 at 3:04 PM Post #5 of 7
Is it a hiss sound like when the adjustable piston on an office chair can make when you get up?
Definitely that hiss - sometimes with a faint crackles (like from vinyl) - sound - was coming from the direction of the stealth magnets. A long time ago, I blocked (from moving) the gas piston thing in my office chair. And also tried " squats" next to it. I know that stealth magnets are very delicate thing. And he400se has not been designed for that kind of activity. Not really. But come on.
Almost a year ago, I had to send my previous he400se for a replacement. I'v got a new one from Amazon. And 8 months later, something started happening again.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2023 at 3:52 AM Post #6 of 7
Ok - hisses and crackling's - described earlier by me - they are still there. Not sure what cause/trigger it - electrostatic charge attracted / bild-up by or on or nearby stealth magnets when plugged-in to the usb dac. Air pressure? But definitely audible when moving headphones vertically - most of the time. Speed of movement has something to do with, but not always. Definitely it is annoying and surprising when happening - time to time. Taking out some of pleasure of using planar headphones.

Nov 23, 2023 at 4:34 AM Post #7 of 7
Sounds like static discharge to me.
So it could vary depending on the weather - which affects what clothes you wear, etc etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back