hifiman he400se or the philips shp9500
May 8, 2023 at 3:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

skyla

New Head-Fier
- which one is more spacious?
- which one has a bright tuning with great vocals without being shouty? (for reference i found the samsons sr850 to be very shouty)
- which is more comfortable
i've heard some serious QC issues with the hifimans and generally no issues about the philips, not to mention the philips are cheaper in my country

May 9, 2023 at 5:30 AM Post #3 of 14
May 9, 2023 at 8:59 AM Post #4 of 14
why do i need an amp? as far as i know it has 25 ohms. and what are the pad adapters for?

The amp will amplify the micro-details in your music, making your purchase more worth -while. The ear pads adapters for the shp9500 will allow you to add more comfortable ear pads onto them, like the ones that you find when you search for “110mm oval sheepskin leather ear pads” on AliExpress.

May 9, 2023 at 2:43 PM Post #5 of 14
Coming from the perspective of someone who owns a 9500 and a 400S (Not the same as the 400SE but pretty darn close), I'd say:

-About the same in terms of space.

-The SHP9500 is flatter.

-Comfort is kinda variable here. The SHP9500s are lighter and feel less present (if that makes any sense). Hifimans have a sorta "cushy" feeling (on account of the massive earpads). If you're gonna be moving around with them, I'd pick the SHP9500s.

In terms of amplification, you should be able to drive a Hifiman out of a phone/computer, but it won't get super loud (an effect which will also be dampened by the massive soundstage). Quality control shouldn't be as huge of an issue here since the headband on the 400SE is more robust.

May 9, 2023 at 3:12 PM Post #6 of 14
- which one is more spacious?
- which one has a bright tuning with great vocals without being shouty? (for reference i found the samsons sr850 to be very shouty)
- which is more comfortable
i've heard some serious QC issues with the Hifimans and generally no issues about the philips, not to mention the philips are cheaper in my country
Takstar HF 580 planar headphones, with Sendyaudio AVIA ear pads.
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256803897974231.html?gatewayAdapt=glo2usa
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2255800528283235.html?gatewayAdapt=glo2usa

May 10, 2023 at 1:01 AM Post #7 of 14
why do i need an amp? as far as i know it has 25 ohms

The impedance may be 25ohms, but the sensitivity is 91dB/1mW, which is a bit low. That seems high if you take it like it literally means you can go from silence at zero volume to 91dB with, like, two presses of the + button on a smartphone, much less without a lot of distortion if you even really hit 91dB at any point. For reference, the Beyerdynamic DT770 might have 10X the impedance at 250ohms, but since its sensitivity is 96dB/1mW, the HE400se will need 4X the power just to match its output. Heck the old HE400S is 22ohms, 96dB/1mW - you can far more easily drive that with a USB powered amp (and not the new ones that have a separate USB-C just for power either). Power input to dB graph is logarithmic, so every 3dB gain requires doubling the input power. By contrast an IEM like the Westone2 has a 33ohm impedance, but with a sensitivity of 117dB/1mW, any smartphone will have enough power for it.

That's just power quantity so far though. We're not yet at how much noise and distortion is in that power, hence cranking up a smartphone will not get you as far as an amp before the sound starts changing (and not for the better either). Load impedance also affects how the amp interacts with the amp, and in the most basic way, it will affect how much power the amp will spit out at a given impedance. This is why a Schiit amp for example will include ratings at 16ohm, 32ohms, 64ohms, 120ohms, 300ohms, and 600ohms; and it's not always guaranteed that it will keep going up in one direction, like how some amps will have power output lower below 32ohms or 16ohms, or how an OTL amp will produce the most power into 300ohms and then drops as the impedance rises or drops. Distortion characteristics and how it controls the driver can also change, particularly if the output impedance is high. In some cases some IEMs even require some kind of portable amp, not because it needs more power, but because it needs power that gets produced with an ultra low noise floor hence the need for a battery-powered amp that isn't trying to produce power at the cost of noise performance while also having low enough impedance that a low impedance dynamic driver IEM would still move without the amp losing control.

Think of the sensitivity like the weight of a car while impedance is a mix of unsprung weight (ie the wheels and tyres), tyre geometry and tyre compound, aerodynamics, etc. Sure lighter wheels, tyres, and brakes can make it easier for the engine to spin them and will help acceleration, and can help how the car can power out of corners, while aerodynamics can impact the top speed...and yet your acceleration and top speed are still primarily determined by the engine output. A 25ohm, 91dB/1mW headphone is sort of like having a nice handling Bentley chassis with a Camry V6 powering it, while a high sensitivity headphone or IEM is going to be like how you wreck the balance of a Lotus Seven kit car by stuffing a big block V8 into it. What you're looking for is more akin to having a Corvette or S2000 with the engines that Chevy and Honda put in there.

and what are the pad adapters for?

To fit Brainwavz HM5 pands when you wear out the stock pads because unlike Sennheiser, AKG, and HiFiMan, Philips don't sell earpads. They expect you to throw out the whole headphone once the pads are worn so they earn money selling another headphone unlike Sennheiser making money selling you $60 earpads. (That said, you don't have to give Sennheiser $60 for earpads - you use a mount adapter and mount HM5 earpads on it; I just cut up the stock earpad and fit the HM5 pads onto the plastic frames on the Sennheiser pads.)

Last edited:
May 12, 2023 at 12:48 AM Post #9 of 14
I've had both, if you shave your head, don't get the HE400se as the bar style headband will leave you sore after a while. It doesn't need EQ out of the box though, but needs a mild amp. I tried it on my Moto G Power phone and it was less than fun. The shp9500 is comfortable but doesn't sound as good out of the box, most things will power it though, but you'll probably want to eq it and the preamp reduction will leave you wanting for volume levels on a phone. I've got the 400se right here but rarely use it anymore, the HE400i 2016 version with the ski style headband and swivel ear cups is so much nicer and comfortable for daily use, but it weighs a little more.

May 12, 2023 at 4:57 AM Post #10 of 14
Coming from the perspective of someone who owns a 9500 and a 400S (Not the same as the 400SE but pretty darn close), I'd say:

-About the same in terms of space.

-The SHP9500 is flatter.

-Comfort is kinda variable here. The SHP9500s are lighter and feel less present (if that makes any sense). Hifimans have a sorta "cushy" feeling (on account of the massive earpads). If you're gonna be moving around with them, I'd pick the SHP9500s.

In terms of amplification, you should be able to drive a Hifiman out of a phone/computer, but it won't get super loud (an effect which will also be dampened by the massive soundstage). Quality control shouldn't be as huge of an issue here since the headband on the 400SE is more robust.
ah man, this makes me more conflicted LOL. which headphones have better mids/vocals?

May 14, 2023 at 8:19 PM Post #12 of 14
You definitely need an amp with the 400se, even then, don't be expecting much bass depth or oomph. Though neither set are blessed with a lot of power in the sub bass. The quality though on the 400se is much better than the 9500. It's got better resolution too.

The 400se though is more technically superior than the shp9500 in every way IMO. People forget the shp9500 started as a sub £40 budget headphone, which through some hype (mostly from z certain reviewer) that it was a giant killer or a match for the Senn hd600, it got a reputation for being better than it is. Then it became more expensive. To me, I always thought the shp9500 sounded nasally and sibilant with a narrow soundstage. I respect as always anyone who enjoys it, but personally I feel the hype caught on for some people that it was better than it is.

The 400se is slightly brighter sounding than the original 400s, which was very mellow and easy listening. It's far from harsh sounding tho. The 400se is more balanced and has better treble than the 400s. It's got decent detail, the soundstage isn't massive for an open back, but it's got decent enough imaging. At around £100 the 400se, is a great deal. It's comfy, fits fine for my head, not overly tight, but might be with bigger heads. It's better built than the plasticky 9500, which also has awful pads.

May 20, 2023 at 11:43 PM Post #13 of 14
You definitely need an amp with the 400se, even then, don't be expecting much bass depth or oomph. Though neither set are blessed with a lot of power in the sub bass. The quality though on the 400se is much better than the 9500. It's got better resolution too.

The 400se though is more technically superior than the shp9500 in every way IMO. People forget the shp9500 started as a sub £40 budget headphone, which through some hype (mostly from z certain reviewer) that it was a giant killer or a match for the Senn hd600, it got a reputation for being better than it is. Then it became more expensive. To me, I always thought the shp9500 sounded nasally and sibilant with a narrow soundstage. I respect as always anyone who enjoys it, but personally I feel the hype caught on for some people that it was better than it is.

The 400se is slightly brighter sounding than the original 400s, which was very mellow and easy listening. It's far from harsh sounding tho. The 400se is more balanced and has better treble than the 400s. It's got decent detail, the soundstage isn't massive for an open back, but it's got decent enough imaging. At around £100 the 400se, is a great deal. It's comfy, fits fine for my head, not overly tight, but might be with bigger heads. It's better built than the plasticky 9500, which also has awful pads.
what are some really cheap amps i can get for the 400se

Users who are viewing this thread

Back