HIFIMAN HE400i 2020 Version
Jul 12, 2020 at 2:44 PM Post #31 of 164
I have not heard the Sundara, but my guess is they are super close in sound signature based on what I’ve read.

Regarding the ear cup swivel it’s not that they swivel too much, it’s that the mechanism feels super cheap and wobbly.

They fit very well and are comfortable.

Jul 20, 2020 at 6:34 PM Post #33 of 164
I finally have my amp setup. I’ll provide listening impressions tomorrow. Unamped the bass is lacking impact if I use my phone as an output.

Jul 20, 2020 at 7:29 PM Post #34 of 164
My brief comparison is that the 400i is somewhat immune to amp variation and does well from a phone. At 80% volume on my iPhone XR I get plenty of detail and bass with some signs of brightness and lack of echo. Amped I get less brightness and a more pleasing sound. The bass sounds just as detailed, but I hear more echos while amped.

Keep in mind I’m amping the output from my phone so effectively double amping. My DAC should be here later this week so I can do better testing.

The 400i 2020 remains a highly recommended headphone from me and and such should be a delight for many of you looking for an affordable planar.

Jul 20, 2020 at 7:34 PM Post #35 of 164
My brief comparison is that the 400i is somewhat immune to amp variation and does well from a phone. At 80% volume on my iPhone XR I get plenty of detail and bass with some signs of brightness and lack of echo. Amped I get less brightness and a more pleasing sound. The bass sounds just as detailed, but I hear more echos while amped.

Keep in mind I’m amping the output from my phone so effectively double amping. My DAC should be here later this week so I can do better testing.

The 400i 2020 remains a highly recommended headphone from me and and such should be a delight for many of you looking for an affordable planar.

The Deva (with no bluetooth module) is only $220...and then you have the Sundara, which is also affordable.

Which one is the champion of the affordable planar category?

I'm guessing that 400i = good...Deva = better...Sundara = great.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2020 at 12:41 AM Post #37 of 164
Not really the HE400i is better sounding than Deva but the clamp is worse.
The clamp is worse? Interesting...both models look identical.

Jul 21, 2020 at 4:27 AM Post #38 of 164
I tried both at the same time last week and found that the HE400i clamps harder. It might be because it was a new set but the Deva was quite new too. In terms of sound quality, I find the HE400i superior to Deva in wireless and wired modes.

Jul 21, 2020 at 1:10 PM Post #39 of 164
In terms of sound quality, I find the HE400i superior to Deva in wireless and wired modes.

Can you elaborate on what the differences are? How is the bass (was it boomy and muddy) and how are highs (any sibilance)?

Jul 22, 2020 at 2:00 PM Post #40 of 164
Can you elaborate on what the differences are? How is the bass (was it boomy and muddy) and how are highs (any sibilance)?
The Deva has good amount of bass, obviously not boomy and muddy, but it will change depending on the song. I auditioned both Deva and HE400i, i prefer the Deva more as it has more full-body sounding whereas the latter, i find it lacking although i tried hooking them with an amp with a bass-boost yet still lacking for me. In the end, it personal preference. IMO, the HE400i leaning toward neutral sounding and the Deva is slightly warm & balance sounding. In term of sound quality, to my ears, both are great detail-retrieval cans and what make Deva has an upper hand is the musicality.
Lastly, Deva sounded so great on tube.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2020 at 3:45 AM Post #41 of 164
Ordered one through eBay, can't wait to test them. It's my first purchase on eBay and my first planar cans.
I'm not very proficient in the headphones theme, can somebody please tell me if this are balanced headphones? My dac has 3.5 unbalanced port and 2.5mm balanced one. I know these headphones come with 3.5mm cable. Should I order 2.5mm cable to able to listen to them? If so, could someone recommend me one under 30$?

Jul 23, 2020 at 4:40 AM Post #42 of 164
Ordered one through eBay, can't wait to test them. It's my first purchase on eBay and my first planar cans.
I'm not very proficient in the headphones theme, can somebody please tell me if this are balanced headphones? My dac has 3.5 unbalanced port and 2.5mm balanced one. I know these headphones come with 3.5mm cable. Should I order 2.5mm cable to able to listen to them? If so, could someone recommend me one under 30$?

im not sure for He400i hopefully someone could shed some light but i know the Hifiman Deva uses 3.5mm balance cable also the bluemini uses balance as well...
"if" this cans is balance just buy the 3.5mm to 2.5mm adapter- make sure it is not the cabled adapter

Jul 24, 2020 at 6:38 PM Post #43 of 164
I'm still listening to my 2020 HE-400i at work and loving it. The build quality is excellent and the sound is stellar for any tier of headphone. The Schiit Heresy drives them well.

Jul 24, 2020 at 6:42 PM Post #44 of 164
@AmaZinger

I'm not sure what you mean by "My Dac has a 3.5mm unbalanced port."

Can you give us your gear list so we can give you some more assistance? If it helps I have the stock 400i cable which has a 1/4 and 3.5mm cable adapter attached to one end. You should be able to listen to single ended amplification thru 3.5mm or 1/4 inch with no issues. If you want to go balanced you will need to get a balanced cable that matches your balanced amp's output, which sounds like 2.5mm in your case. Again, we need the name of your amp so we can help.

Jul 26, 2020 at 3:59 AM Post #45 of 164
The stock HE-400i always sounded somewhat anemic and lean to me. I replaced the deteriorated (twice!) stock HE-400i earpads with Dekoni Elite Sheepskin, and the sound was dramatically improved, particularly in bass response and midrange warmth. I haven't felt the need to upgrade since.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back