Hifiman HE1000-SE
Oct 25, 2023 at 11:56 AM Post #4,636 of 5,215
Do you find the HA-3A has enough slam on the HEKSE, I am currently using an Icon HP8 signature which is offers 90% of what I am looking for, fantastic top end, just lacks a little punch when it comes to drums, plenty of bass quantity & pretty decent quality but slightly soft on impact
The HA-3A has three impedance settings. If I want that extra punch and more forward vocals then I will select the high impedance but it is more aggressive in its delivery in this setting so for more acoustical or laid back genres I will always use the medium impedance. The type of tubes that you use will also have an impact on the bass impact when it comes to tube amplifiers.

Oct 25, 2023 at 12:01 PM Post #4,637 of 5,215
The HA-3A has three impedance settings. If I want that extra punch and more forward vocals then I will select the high impedance but it is more aggressive in its delivery in this setting so for more acoustical or laid back genres I will always use the medium impedance. The type of tubes that you use will also have an impact on the bass impact when it comes to tube amplifiers.
Thanks for the info, probably best to have a listen to a HA-3A for myself, always been interested in trying one, the other amp I am currently looking at is the Violectric V222, hopefully get to organise a demo soon

Oct 25, 2023 at 12:06 PM Post #4,638 of 5,215
Thanks for the info, probably best to have a listen to a HA-3A for myself, always been interested in trying one, the other amp I am currently looking at is the Violectric V222, hopefully get to organise a demo soon
I wouldn't trust a demo on the HA-3A on the stock tubes as the sound completely changes for the better once you start putting in some NOS tubes like Sylvanias or Reflektors. I didn't even want to listen to the amp during the first week as I really didnt like it but once I got some tubes it was like love at first sight. 😍:darthsmile:

Oct 25, 2023 at 12:31 PM Post #4,639 of 5,215
I wouldn't trust a demo on the HA-3A on the stock tubes as the sound completely changes for the better once you start putting in some NOS tubes like Sylvanias or Reflektors. I didn't even want to listen to the amp during the first week as I really didnt like it but once I got some tubes it was like love at first sight. 😍:darthsmile:
Ok, thanks for the advice

Oct 25, 2023 at 5:12 PM Post #4,640 of 5,215
How would you say the HE1000SE compares to the HD800S? I have the latter; am interested in the former (and see you’ve listed the HE1000SE on Trademe).
The HEKse has a softer, sweeter sound with lovely bass and subbass. It’s an airier, more floating layering of instruments and vocals. The HD800S is drier with more spacious soundstage. HEKse of course is easier to drive but scales accordingly with better gear.

Oct 26, 2023 at 1:21 AM Post #4,641 of 5,215
The HEKse has a softer, sweeter sound with lovely bass and subbass. It’s an airier, more floating layering of instruments and vocals. The HD800S is drier with more spacious soundstage. HEKse of course is easier to drive but scales accordingly with better gear.
Thanks - that’s a really interesting description, and very helpful.

My one concern is the recession around 1-2 kHz. Does this have a noticeable impact on vocals (particularly female) versus the HD800S? I know many people take a very different view, but for me, the HD800S’s midrange is perfect.

Oct 26, 2023 at 1:25 AM Post #4,642 of 5,215
I don’t think and listen in frequencies, I trust my emotional response to sound and music. My test track for female vocals is usually something Joni Mitchell and if I can cope with her shrieking I know the headphone is right. Very unscientific, I am afraid.

Oct 26, 2023 at 2:47 AM Post #4,643 of 5,215

My one concern is the recession around 1-2 kHz. Does this have a noticeable impact on vocals (particularly female) versus the HD800S? I know many people take a very different view, but for me, the HD800S’s midrange is perfect.
I have both headphones.
It's very difficult to compare a dynamic headphone and a planar.
Much depends on what amp and dac you are using. The general opinion is that the HD800S needs tubes or pure class A while the HE1000SE likes SS.
As a generality planars sound more precise and clear but the sound is "flat".
Dynamic headphones are just that - more "dynamic".
The HD8000s and the HE1000SE are typical examples of each type but each has its own character:
The HD800S is famous for its wide and deep sound stage. Everything sounds like it has been recorded in a very large hall which does not suit all genres. It needs a warm dac and amp otherwise it can sound thin.
The HE1000SE prioritises sharp detail and transparency of sound to an impressive degree but it can be clinical.
The sound stage is more natural. It is not so dac/amp dependant - though planars as a class are usually said not take well to tubes (hybrids are OK for them).

Oct 26, 2023 at 10:55 AM Post #4,644 of 5,215

My impression is that the HD800S has the more forward midrange/vocals. The HE1000se has a more U-shaped responses with the vocals a bit back in the mix. Otherwise, the mids sound pretty similar; a bit thin, but detailed.

Oct 26, 2023 at 12:49 PM Post #4,645 of 5,215
My impression is that the HD800S has the more forward midrange/vocals. The HE1000se has a more U-shaped responses with the vocals a bit back in the mix. Otherwise, the mids sound pretty similar; a bit thin, but detailed.

In term of sound signature I feel V2 is closer to HD800s, it got bigger sound stage, leaner sound etc. I would actually lament the discontinue of V2 if HD800/S does not exist.

Oct 27, 2023 at 4:37 AM Post #4,646 of 5,215
Yesterday I sent an email to Hifiman’s customer support about ordering HE1000se from the warehouse in Poland. I was told it’s out of stock at the moment but they could “devalue“ the price of the package so I wouldn’t have to pay around 500€ in customs and taxes. I’ve no experience with this and feel like it’s illegal and wouldn’t want to get in trouble over this. Has anyone done this before or should I just wait a couple of months to see if it’s back in stock?

Oct 27, 2023 at 5:32 AM Post #4,647 of 5,215
Yesterday I sent an email to Hifiman’s customer support about ordering HE1000se from the warehouse in Poland. I was told it’s out of stock at the moment but they could “devalue“ the price of the package so I wouldn’t have to pay around 500€ in customs and taxes. I’ve no experience with this and feel like it’s illegal and wouldn’t want to get in trouble over this. Has anyone done this before or should I just wait a couple of months to see if it’s back in stock?
People do it all the time especially with headphones so I wouldn't worry about that.

Oct 27, 2023 at 8:51 PM Post #4,648 of 5,215
People do it all the time especially with headphones so I wouldn't worry about that.
I’m a very honest bloke but the simple fact that it would cost $500 euro in customs is outrageous. I would listen to
Hifiman. They’ll be the ones doing it, not you.

Oct 29, 2023 at 10:18 AM Post #4,649 of 5,215
They're completely different headphones which is why I own both. The Caldera has strong bass slam, realistic timbre, great imagining, and is very dynamic. The SE has a larger and airier soundstage, great instrument separation, and hyper detailed. The SE is brighter and the Caldera is slightly darker than neutral. The Caldera is my number 1 headphone for metal because of the attributes I previously mentioned. The SE is great for live performances, instrumentals, classical/orchestra. The Caldera is great with every genre.
Want to add to this, I can't compare to caldera but, EQ'd HEKSE does have more bass slam (very rumbly) than LCD-5 (EQ'd), a ($20k chain) Susvara, Atrium Open, and Utopia. Very few headphones respond well to adding EQ to bass, but HEKSE is one of them.

The downside is HEKSE doesn't have great bass texture, so keeping that in mind, I would say an EQ'd HE1000SE is for all genres except those such as metal. (EQ does have a slight resolution and instrument realism loss to my ears)

does anyone here have the Caldera? would appreciate a comparison of the mids with the HE1000SE!

Oct 29, 2023 at 7:38 PM Post #4,650 of 5,215
Want to add to this, I can't compare to caldera but, EQ'd HEKSE does have more bass slam (very rumbly) than LCD-5 (EQ'd), a ($20k chain) Susvara, Atrium Open, and Utopia. Very few headphones respond well to adding EQ to bass, but HEKSE is one of them.

The downside is HEKSE doesn't have great bass texture, so keeping that in mind, I would say an EQ'd HE1000SE is for all genres except those such as metal. (EQ does have a slight resolution and instrument realism loss to my ears)

does anyone here have the Caldera? would appreciate a comparison of the mids with the HE1000SE!

I agree if you EQ the bass a lot it can be very rumbly, but it really loses tightness and the controlled punch. If rumble is what you want, EQ can get you that, if you want a base that can stay tight, punchy and can still rumble when boosted with EQ, look to HE6/SE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back