Hifiman HE1000-SE
Sep 20, 2023 at 10:53 AM Post #4,426 of 5,226
Would love to know how much slammy bass HE1000se has in comparison to HE1000 Stealth, how it slaps when It calls 🤣
I recently upgraded from Arya Stealth to HE1000se. I hear HEK Stealth is similar to Arya Stealth so my opinion might help a little.
Arya Stealth has more bass presence and generic punch. HE1000se can do the same punch and maybe even more but only if music calls for it. Otherwise it's very nuanced and track dependent. More of a shapeshifter.
HE1000se bass has more range to it. Arya bass is more simple, blunt but it's more, it's thicker and generally punchier and have more physical rumble down low. Arya Stealth is a lot more intimate sounding headphone so naturally bass comes out more forward. HE1000se lot more spacious and separated sounding headphone. So it's presentation gives you more field of view and intelligibility, insight in to music. Arya Stealth is more intimate, bolder and energetic.
People say HEK Stealth follows the footsteps of Arya Stealth revision. So i assume it's more bold in the bass than HE1000se and it's more energetic, aggressive headphone in the Hifiman eggshape realm. I would love to hear one and compare.

Sep 20, 2023 at 11:12 AM Post #4,427 of 5,226
I recently upgraded from Arya Stealth to HE1000se. I hear HEK Stealth is similar to Arya Stealth so my opinion might help a little.
Arya Stealth has more bass presence and generic punch. HE1000se can do the same punch and maybe even more but only if music calls for it. Otherwise it's very nuanced and track dependent. More of a shapeshifter.
HE1000se bass has more range to it. Arya bass is more simple, blunt but it's more, it's thicker and generally punchier and have more physical rumble down low. Arya Stealth is a lot more intimate sounding headphone so naturally bass comes out more forward. HE1000se lot more spacious and separated sounding headphone. So it's presentation gives you more field of view and intelligibility, insight in to music. Arya Stealth is more intimate, bolder and energetic.
People say HEK Stealth follows the footsteps of Arya Stealth revision. So i assume it's more bold in the bass than HE1000se and it's more energetic, aggressive headphone in the Hifiman eggshape realm. I would love to hear one and compare.
I have noticed that the bass quantity in the HEKSE is very track dependent. The bass on songs like Geist - Overwerk will have copious levels of slam and other songs like A Moment Apart - Odesza will have a more nuanced bass presence. However, the resolution and texture in the bass is unmatched compared to other headphones I have listened to.

I obviously would like to have more slam in this headphone but I have other headphones like the LCD 4 which fill that gap for me.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2023 at 1:59 PM Post #4,429 of 5,226
Does anyone have prior experience with Hifiman’s customer support? I was emailing them about the European warehouse and if they could ship HE1000se from there. It’s been 2 days and I haven’t heard back from them.
It's good if not great but sometimes i see they require 3 even 4 5 working days to reply. Yes they do ship from EU, if should also be said this Is the site i think.

Sep 20, 2023 at 2:23 PM Post #4,430 of 5,226
Does anyone have prior experience with Hifiman’s customer support? I was emailing them about the European warehouse and if they could ship HE1000se from there. It’s been 2 days and I haven’t heard back from them.
Yes, they are very helpful, but they have longer response times sometimes...

Sep 20, 2023 at 2:56 PM Post #4,431 of 5,226
It all depends on stock, and whether the warehouse had. Last i heard for the HE1000se (recently) was shipped from China for EU.

Sep 20, 2023 at 3:21 PM Post #4,432 of 5,226
At the moment, Hifiman Europe doesn't have the HE1000SE I suppose. However I tried either SE or Stealth and I had Arya Stealth. HE1000 Stealth is similar to Arya Stealth but more stage and more subbass (better over all HE1000 Stealth). SE is more detailed and more linear, it's another headphone compared to them, but when you play example R&B, SE has plenty of bass and subbass. I prefer much more SE

Sep 22, 2023 at 10:03 AM Post #4,434 of 5,226
Hifiman customer support can be slow but they are great. Mine shipped from China so maybe they don't have it in EU warehouse right now.

Sep 22, 2023 at 10:17 AM Post #4,435 of 5,226
Did the tuning of this Headphone get tweaked or revised in any way in the course of the past three years? I repurchased it after three years of being without my first one, and whie I still love how it sounds, and what it does, I seem to remember that the earlier version I had used to sound more splashy in the treble region with cymbals and high hats than they do in the newer version I have--more "splashy" than they do in the Susvara which replaced that earlier version... I remember it being "splashy" to the point where a few users were complaining of "sibilance," although I never shared that view myself.

Of course, the changes I am detecting now could well be arising from component revisions or replacements (of streamers, dacs, or amps) that I have made in my own chain--that is certainly possible, but I am asking just to be sure that there have been no deliberate tweaking of these cans on the part of HFM, however "quiet" and unofficial it has been. Also I still love how the new one sounds, so my question should not be interpreted as some kind of complaint, as that is not what I am doing here. I am just trying to educate myself by satisfying a certain curiosity about HFM's HP tuning practices.

Many thanks for any helpful input,

Sep 22, 2023 at 10:22 AM Post #4,436 of 5,226
I've stated this a few times im here. They indeed changed it for the better. My first version was badly balanced in the treble and not easy to bear in terms of timbre and lack of consistent treble linearity.
Now tone/timbre are a good bit better.

Sep 22, 2023 at 12:15 PM Post #4,437 of 5,226
Quite possibly a silent revision. I remember listening to a pair at CanJam and it was most definitely sibilant to my ears drive off an EF400. And that's not even a bright amp. I did not enjoy that pair at all even though it was technically impressive. The pair I have now is much better and more balanced. Not sibilant or sharp at all, just great extension. 👍

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2023 at 5:18 PM Post #4,439 of 5,226
Are you sure? I don't remember any retuning of HE1000SE...
Hard to say, it would probably have been a silent revision, if it did indeed happen in the first place. Only way to verify would be multiple measurements of different sets combined with manufacture date.

Sep 23, 2023 at 9:12 AM Post #4,440 of 5,226
Did the tuning of this Headphone get tweaked or revised in any way in the course of the past three years? I repurchased it after three years of being without my first one, and whie I still love how it sounds, and what it does, I seem to remember that the earlier version I had used to sound more splashy in the treble region with cymbals and high hats than they do in the newer version I have--more "splashy" than they do in the Susvara which replaced that earlier version... I remember it being "splashy" to the point where a few users were complaining of "sibilance," although I never shared that view myself.

Of course, the changes I am detecting now could well be arising from component revisions or replacements (of streamers, dacs, or amps) that I have made in my own chain--that is certainly possible, but I am asking just to be sure that there have been no deliberate tweaking of these cans on the part of HFM, however "quiet" and unofficial it has been. Also I still love how the new one sounds, so my question should not be interpreted as some kind of complaint, as that is not what I am doing here. I am just trying to educate myself by satisfying a certain curiosity about HFM's HP tuning practices.

Many thanks for any helpful input,
Someone needs to measure. I think the hekse revision is more like arya v1 vs v2. V1 had mesh, V2 have cloth. For what it's worth, i think Arya Stealth sounds more splashy but HE1000se have a brighter tone. I remember reading @Resolve review of the old one and he find it bright. If he can review a new unit maybe we can have more clear picture.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back