Hifiman HE1000-SE
Sep 24, 2023 at 12:20 AM Post #4,447 of 5,312
I have a pair Focal Clear and just bought a pair of HEKse.
Headphones with big sound-stage have always been on my top wish list for a long time. Never have a chance to audition one until now and it may not be what I have expected. I assume that HEKse would play, scale all music into larger sound-stage, but it may not be the chase. Many tracks I play do not seem to expand much in sound stage. May be HEKse just play/scale (sound stage) according to music source? I may have just learned that bigger sound stage is not always better. May be some music genres would benefit from smaller sound stage? I actually enjoy many of my tracks more on my Clear then the HEKse right now.

Maybe members with more experience with headphones could point me in the right direction.

Sep 24, 2023 at 2:23 AM Post #4,448 of 5,312
I have a pair Focal Clear and just bought a pair of HEKse.
Headphones with big sound-stage have always been on my top wish list for a long time. Never have a chance to audition one until now and it may not be what I have expected. I assume that HEKse would play, scale all music into larger sound-stage, but it may not be the chase. Many tracks I play do not seem to expand much in sound stage. May be HEKse just play/scale (sound stage) according to music source? I may have just learned that bigger sound stage is not always better. May be some music genres would benefit from smaller sound stage? I actually enjoy many of my tracks more on my Clear then the HEKse right now.

Maybe members with more experience with headphones could point me in the right direction.
Yes, HEkSE and Susvara too "only" renders soundstage captured in recording. They are not creating any imaginary 3D effect. Maybe HD800s will suit you better in this.

Sep 24, 2023 at 6:11 PM Post #4,451 of 5,312
Yikes. I mistook this for the other HEK thread. My apologies.

Ive taken a break from listening to my HE1000 and headphones in general. I picked up an open box deal for a pair of KEF LS50WII at Best Buy and have been fiddling with speaker placement since.

I had a strong inkling that Id prefer a nice set of speakers over headphones but I cant imagine how expensive getting 2 channel set up to sound like my HE1000 Stealth.
The detail and dynamics of this headphone are amazing. They're almost everything I want when listening to jazz and classical.

The two genres Ive slowly evolved to listen to almost exclusively Hifiman nails them.

As big as the HEK sound they don't compare to the KEFs. The KEFs can't touch the details on the Hifiman though but Im sure it also is limited by the integrated DAC. Im obviously keeping both but I think Im going to eventually transition to mostly 2 channel. The HEK are the only head-fi gear I wouldnt get rid of.

PS Any forums as cool as head-fi around for 2 channel?

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2023 at 9:35 PM Post #4,452 of 5,312
Yikes. I mistook this for the other HEK thread. My apologies.

Ive taken a break from listening to my HE1000 and headphones in general. I picked up an open box deal for a pair of KEF LS50WII at Best Buy and have been fiddling with speaker placement since.

I had a strong inkling that Id prefer a nice set of speakers over headphones but I cant imagine how expensive getting 2 channel set up to sound like my HE1000 Stealth.
The detail and dynamics of this headphone are amazing. They're almost everything I want when listening to jazz and classical.

The two genres Ive slowly evolved to listen to almost exclusively Hifiman nails them.

As big as the HEK sound they don't compare to the KEFs. The KEFs can't touch the details on the Hifiman though but Im sure it also is limited by the integrated DAC. Im obviously keeping both but I think Im going to eventually transition to mostly 2 channel. The HEK are the only head-fi gear I wouldnt get rid of.

PS Any forums as cool as head-fi around for 2 channel?
My speakers set-up outperforms every headphone i've owned and demo'd but I will never get rid of my headphones. I have the Buchardt A700s with theoretical flat tuning in a fully treated room and dirac correction to 300hz. I prefer listening to music on my pc with headphones and multitasking.

Sep 25, 2023 at 3:41 PM Post #4,453 of 5,312
Does anyone have prior experience with Hifiman’s customer support? I was emailing them about the European warehouse and if they could ship HE1000se from there. It’s been 2 days and I haven’t heard back from them.
Did you hear back from them?
If the A-stock HE1000 SE's are sent from China, I'm considering refurbished, but I'm not sure if they have these in stock in EU. Would be great if it was noted on the homepage :)

Sep 25, 2023 at 4:29 PM Post #4,454 of 5,312
Aside from the Susvara, what other headphones would you say are more detailed than the HEKSE? (excluding Estats)

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2023 at 4:42 PM Post #4,455 of 5,312
My speakers set-up outperforms every headphone i've owned and demo'd but I will never get rid of my headphones. I have the Buchardt A700s with theoretical flat tuning in a fully treated room and dirac correction to 300hz. I prefer listening to music on my pc with headphones and multitasking.
I was looking into the Buchardt A500 but the KEFs were selling for $1799 on Best Buy.

I’m learning from scratch about room correction or any EQing/DSP. I think I’ll end up with a pair sooner than later use my Matrix as the source.

Anyway, I don’t mean to derail the thread. Sorry!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back