Hifiman HE1000-SE
Jul 19, 2023 at 6:03 PM Post #4,321 of 5,235
I think I had a jds el amp 2. Definitely made some major upgrades in my chain since then.
Well that would explain why it sounds different/better now than beforehand.

This headphone does change from different amps. The Cayin HA-3A in comparison to the Lyr 3 provides a wider and grander soundstage, better texture in the bass and clearer instrumental separation.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2023 at 11:03 PM Post #4,322 of 5,235
My SE arrived today and I'm shocked by how different it sounds from the last time I owned it back in 2019. I used think the vocals were sibilant and the brightness required EQ. Now everything

My SE arrived today and I'm shocked by how different it sounds from the last time I owned it back in 2019. I used think the vocals were sibilant and the brightness required EQ. Now everything sounds perfect.
So true. This headphone sounds better than the caldera and much better than the Elite, I had all three since last week

Jul 19, 2023 at 11:25 PM Post #4,323 of 5,235
I think I had a jds el amp 2. Definitely made some major upgrades in my chain since then.
Any changes upstream will affect what you hear downstream, esp with a highly resolving headphone such as the 1000se. Sounds like you have a better matchup/synergy with your gear now than you did before. I think some who complain of the 1000se as being too hot or bright might just not be pairing it with complementary gear.

Jul 24, 2023 at 10:42 AM Post #4,324 of 5,235
I am faced with the decision of whether to buy an HE1000SE. I currently have Empyrean and Utopia og which I plug into TT2 +Mscaler +Euforia ae. I run Empyrean from the output of TT2 and Utopia from Euforia. I like it this way, but I'm looking for another option for a different sound signature (bigger soundstage, improved details). Would the HE1000SE be a suitable additition and a certain counterfield to my current headphones? I would also be interested in the experience of driving the HE1000SE directly from the TT2/Mscaler output as well as the Euforia.
Unfortunately, I don't have the option of listening and I would have to buy headphones blindly.
I will be grateful for the advice.

Jul 24, 2023 at 12:25 PM Post #4,325 of 5,235
I am faced with the decision of whether to buy an HE1000SE. I currently have Empyrean and Utopia og which I plug into TT2 +Mscaler +Euforia ae. I run Empyrean from the output of TT2 and Utopia from Euforia. I like it this way, but I'm looking for another option for a different sound signature (bigger soundstage, improved details). Would the HE1000SE be a suitable additition and a certain counterfield to my current headphones? I would also be interested in the experience of driving the HE1000SE directly from the TT2/Mscaler output as well as the Euforia.
Unfortunately, I don't have the option of listening and I would have to buy headphones blindly.
I had the Empyreans and the HEKSE is a HUGE upgrade in terms of technical performance. The level of detail, imaging and the depth of the soundstage is a dramatic upgrade compared to the Empyrean. You will get more slam with the Empyrean and the mid bass is stronger however, the HEKSE has a lot more refined texture and definition and the sub-bass is better on the HEKSE.

If you like a creamy thick sound then I would not go for the HEKSE as its a thinner sounding signature compared to the Empyrean. If you are looking for that type of sound signature of the Empyrean then I would say go for the LCD 4/4Z.

Jul 24, 2023 at 12:26 PM Post #4,326 of 5,235
Answer is Yes.
Have OG Utopia. My HE1000SE is better than Utopia in terms of soundstage and details.
Only thing Utopia better is dynamic and synergy.
Using same OCC silver cable from DHC with adapter.
HE1000SE price is a steal right now. I wish I bought with new price now.
Using ALO Studio Six tube amp.
Hope, this help.

Jul 24, 2023 at 10:03 PM Post #4,328 of 5,235
I bought the OG Utopia early during they release. I just couldn't convince myself to like it as much as the HE1000 V1 that I bought the Utopia to compliment with. I ultimately sold the Utopia at a steep discount and bought a used HEKse here and never looked back. I recently sold the HE1000V1 so the HEKse is the only headphone that I need for my desktop system.

Jul 25, 2023 at 2:45 PM Post #4,330 of 5,235
I love my SE+Caldera combo. The SE is my favorite headphone for classical/orchestra and live performances and the Caldera is a great jack of all trades headphone with exceptional bass detail, timbre, and dynamics.

Jul 25, 2023 at 6:35 PM Post #4,332 of 5,235
I get my variety from my portable setups. I never thought I would say this, but a thoughtfully put together portable system can rival a desktop system these days.
So have I. I use my MacBook Pro/iPad/iPhone with my Chord Hugo 2/Cayin C9 combo with my Diana V2/DCA Stealth/DCA Expanse connect with the Danacable Lazuli Rhapsody.

I’m away for the week with my setup right now. Just came with the Steath and Diana V2 this week.

Jul 26, 2023 at 12:23 PM Post #4,333 of 5,235
So true. This headphone sounds better than the caldera and much better than the Elite, I had all three since last week

I tend to agree with this sentiment.
Ordered the HEK, Susvara, 1266 TC, DCA Stealth, and a few others, along with the Caldera.
Caldera and Elite are still great headphones, but they just don't sound right to me, as much as I do enjoy the thick sound.
I'd rather own the LCD-4 again for more meat on the bones.
The Hifimans just sound right. Susvara being the top dog in terms of timbre for me.

I do have to say that the Hifiman and Meze designs are easily the most comfortable.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2023 at 4:05 AM Post #4,334 of 5,235
Anyone have experience with ess dacs compared to R2R dacs with he1000se or susvara, regarding bright or smooth sound? My 430had has a ess dac, but I think both susvara and hekSE, tend to be a little to bright sounding with it. Never tried a R2R dac.

Jul 30, 2023 at 4:45 AM Post #4,335 of 5,235
Can t like ess with he1000se , tried 3 up to 1000$
Ak chips in same mid/high range dacs segment fare overall better with them.

R2R ( musical ) could be an inch short on details , unless spending 2k or more on higher end design dacs ( but I didnt);
Someone as me wouldn't possibly like to feel a little short on details with hekse ..Just saying

, my exp my 2c etc

Users who are viewing this thread

Back