Hifiman HE1000-SE
May 6, 2023 at 12:57 PM Post #3,886 of 5,252
I briefly thought about getting the Diana V2 when they had their sale a week or so ago. Seemed like a great deal at half off. But reading reviews and thinking about my own experience with the 1266 made me hesitate and eventually decided against it. I can't imagine liking them more than the 1000se. I also noticed many on the Diana thread didn't have them listed in their signature, which implies they sold them.

So you have both 1000se and 1000 V2 -- is that the stealth? What would you say the main differences are?
I have the original HE1000 v2 non-stealth headphones. I wanted a different sounding and performing headphone from the HE1000se’s. The HE1000 v2 stealth’s would have more similarities than differences to the 1000se’s since they both have stealth magnets. This of course is just a guess since I haven’t heard the v2 stealth’s. I’m just going off the tech inside of both.

May 7, 2023 at 8:27 AM Post #3,887 of 5,252
I briefly thought about getting the Diana V2 when they had their sale a week or so ago. Seemed like a great deal at half off. But reading reviews and thinking about my own experience with the 1266 made me hesitate and eventually decided against it. I can't imagine liking them more than the 1000se. I also noticed many on the Diana thread didn't have them listed in their signature, which implies they sold them.

So you have both 1000se and 1000 V2 -- is that the stealth? What would you say the main differences are?
I just recently wrote up my experience with the stealth vs SE here:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hifiman-he1000-planar-dynamic-headphone.748334/post-17548476

Tldr;
- SE technicalities are a big step ahead still
- Midrange (particularly vocals) have more info on the stealth, just about everything else is better on SE.
- stealth is even brighter than SE

May 7, 2023 at 2:40 PM Post #3,888 of 5,252
Tldr;
- SE technicalities are a big step ahead still
- Midrange (particularly vocals) have more info on the stealth, just about everything else is better on SE.
- stealth is even brighter than SE
Appreciate your thoughts and the info

May 9, 2023 at 9:46 AM Post #3,889 of 5,252
Just received my HE1000SE ... Pleasantly surprised about my first impressions, 0 burn-in fresh out of the box .... Will first let it settle for the next 200h or so, but for what I can tell a way better match with the Astell&Kern CA1000T All-in-One amp than the Verite Closed ... The Naim will have to wait until this evening :xf_cool:

Last edited:
May 9, 2023 at 3:08 PM Post #3,890 of 5,252
I had the He1000se for a long time. Well 2 years is a long time in my audio journey. I had 2 headphones then and I reasoned that is all I need in the He1000se and LCD4. They were my pride and joy. I prefer them over all that came before it, including the ZMF Verite LTD Open Pheasantwood.

Well I live happily ever after and would have but I move on to Susvara. A year on with Susvara, I have never regretted it. Properly amped Susvara is a killer headphone and I miss my He1000se and LCD4 no more.

That doesn't diminished the He1000se and LCD4. It was the best part of my 2 years of audio bliss.

He1000se and LCD4 when I had it. I thought they made the most beautful pair together and very complimentary in tone.

IMG_4063.jpg

May 10, 2023 at 2:33 PM Post #3,894 of 5,252
ANy comparisons of HE1000SE to Expanse. Seems to be similar style sound reproduction and a reasonable comparison..

In general:
- HE1000SE is bright, airy, sweet, sound imaging is like "floating" around us. Like listening inside a spacious room with window being opened.
- Expanse is neutral, dry, intimate presentation, fuller body tone (in all spectrum), everything sound more immediate, shorter decay. Like inside a well treatment studio room.

Last edited:
May 11, 2023 at 1:01 PM Post #3,896 of 5,252
In general:
- HE1000SE is bright, airy, sweet, sound imaging is like "floating" around us. Like listening inside a spacious room with window being opened.
- Expanse is neutral, dry, intimate presentation, fuller body tone (in all spectrum), everything sound more immediate, shorter decay. Like inside a well treatment studio room.
Thanks. I own an expanse and just got the HE1000SE. I agree with your assessment 101%.

I must say- the HE1000SE is stunning. I have a Susvara as well and I have enjoyed the comparisons between very much. My initial opinion is that the Susvara is not at all clearly better than the HE1000SE nor vice versa. I would say they share a family sound, but not as brothers, rather cousins. They are, in other words, clearly family, but not close family.

The Susvara is smoother, more refined, better for jazz and classical. The HE1000SE has substantially punchier, sharper,colder, more incisive sound and gets to louder volumes without breaking up. The HE1000SE ROCKS. The HE1000SE bass is not quantitatively abundant but qualitatively it is super clean and tight. The Susvara does not rock. It is several notches more at ease, more mellow, softer. The HE1000 is super duper crisp, clean sounding vs the Susvara which has more warmth. Imaging on both is fantastic.

What shocks me about the HE1000SE more than anything else is it is the thinnest sounding headpone I have, and yet it is still excellent to rock out with due to the incisive nature. Of course, my CFA-3, and my DSD DAC deliver the fullest sounding sound possible based on this limitation.

I would say the HE1000SE is the dimatric oposite of the ZMF offerings; especially the biocellulose based models. ZMF is about color, euphony, fun. HE1000SE is clarity, transparency, cleanliness. ZMF and HE1000SE are nowhere near family; more like republicans and democrats.

Last edited:
May 11, 2023 at 1:04 PM Post #3,897 of 5,252
Thanks. I own an expanse and just got the HE1000SE. I agree with your assessment 101%.

I must say- the HE1000SE is stunning. I have a Susvara as well and I have enjoyed the comparisons between very much. My initial opinion is that the Susvara is not at all clearly better than the HE1000SE nor vice versa. I would say they share a family sound, but not as brothers, rather cousins. They are, in other words, clearly family, but not close family.

The Susvara is smoother, more refined, better for jazz and classical. The HE1000SE has substantially punchier, sharper,colder, more incisive sound and gets to louder volumes without breaking up. The HE1000SE ROCKS. The HE1000SE bass is not quantitatively abundant but qualitatively it is super clean and tight. The Susvara does not rock. It is several notches more at ease, more mellow. The HE1000 is super duper crisp, clean sounding vs the Susvara which has more warmth. Imaging on both is fantastic.

I would say the HE1000SE is the dimatric oposite of the ZMF offerings; especially the biocellulose based models. ZMF is about color, euphony, fun. HE1000SE is clarity, transparency, cleanliness. ZMF and HE1000SE are nowhere near family; more like republicans and democrats.
Appreciated, a lot for users on the fence about getting Susvara (me)

Last edited:
May 11, 2023 at 1:07 PM Post #3,898 of 5,252
I had the He1000se for a long time. Well 2 years is a long time in my audio journey. I had 2 headphones then and I reasoned that is all I need in the He1000se and LCD4. They were my pride and joy. I prefer them over all that came before it, including the ZMF Verite LTD Open Pheasantwood.

Well I live happily ever after and would have but I move on to Susvara. A year on with Susvara, I have never regretted it. Properly amped Susvara is a killer headphone and I miss my He1000se and LCD4 no more.

That doesn't diminished the He1000se and LCD4. It was the best part of my 2 years of audio bliss.

He1000se and LCD4 when I had it. I thought they made the most beautful pair together and very complimentary in tone.

IMG_4063.jpg
Would you say that the HE1000SE is more detailed than the LCD 4?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back