Hifiman HE1000-SE
May 17, 2022 at 12:01 PM Post #3,346 of 5,241
'Has more of a fun sound' - which Arya - V2 or SE?
And Diana V2 has much less soundstage than HE1000se, they say, so it's not a direct replacement (probably except bass and detail department, as you said).

Agree on this.

HE1000SE has floating and airy presentation, and Diana V2 is rather "being here" with the musician. HE1000Se produce sweeter, more "wet" vocal, with bright treble. Diana V2 is kind of balance with a little mid centric character, more neutral tonality, and at the same time hit harder (impact/bite), and better speed as well.

Last edited:
May 17, 2022 at 12:15 PM Post #3,347 of 5,241
Maybe try it with a wa5le?
Thank you, but I'm not tubes friendly. I'm all set with my gear now. I'll complete CFA3 build soon and see what it makes for a difference.

May 17, 2022 at 12:44 PM Post #3,348 of 5,241
Agree on this.

HE1000SE has floating and airy presentation, and Diana V2 is rather "being here" with the musician. HE1000Se produce sweeter, more "wet" vocal, with bright treble. Diana V2 is kind of balance with a little mid centric character, more neutral tonality, and at the same time hit harder (impact/bite), and better speed as well.
I also woul agree I own both. But will add the Diana V2 is also more travel friendly. It’s what I take on all my trips. Using them with the Chord Mojo 2/Poly combo with the Cayin C9.

Last edited:
May 17, 2022 at 8:01 PM Post #3,349 of 5,241
I've gone through a number of different cables for my HEKse, including the Cardas Clear, Norne Drausk, Arctic Cables Cuprum, and Forza Audioworks Hybrid. My favorite so far is a special custom design sold only on Ebay, combining 7N cryo OCC copper Litz, palladium plated silver and gold plated silver. It was a bit pricey at almost $500, but beats all the other ones I have tried in transparency and especially soundstage. Imaging focus on different instruments and instrument groups, and depth of soundstage, are unprecedented in my experience, I think due to the use of a number of palladium plated conductor strands; palladium is unique to my knowledge in the industry except for the extemely expensive Arctic Cables Opera. The cable also tames the treble a little, just enough for me at least.

The link to the Ebay page is https://www.ebay.com/itm/124992874347?hash=item1d1a27e76b:g:FfcAAOSwd0tg9xsi . This cable has a balanced 4-pin XLR amp connector. The cable maker does a lot of custom terminations and he probably will make one with other terminations like single ended 1/4" TRS.
has anyone else tried this ebay cable>

May 17, 2022 at 9:37 PM Post #3,350 of 5,241
I have this setup actually. I have the amp paired with the Gustard X26 DAC too and it gets a little hot in the treble at times and tend to get fatigued sooner when listening. I would recommend sticking with the Arya because it has more of a fun sound. However, if you're looking for clinical sounding headphones, go for the HEKSE. Though, if you're going to spend that type of money, I would recommend looking at the Abyss Diana V2 headphones. Just so much better on every level with bass and detail, in my opinion.
I'm driving my H20 and Arya SEs with an admittedly less capable (and prolly less "hot" in the treble) SMSL SU-9 DAC. It's neutral and revealing but not sterile/bright/harsh in the high trebles. I've also upgraded the opamps in the H20 with Sparkos Labs SS-3602 opamps. These mods have given the chain an overall less bright/harsh, less "digital" presentation and more of an "analog" type of sound that takes the harshest edges off of the Arya and gives it excellent bass depth and dynamics. I wonder how the HEKSE would fare with this "analog" sounding chain compared to the Arya SEs? Thoughts? P.S., I hadn't really thought of the Diana V2s as an option - how are they compared to the HEKSEs? Thanks in advance....

May 17, 2022 at 10:19 PM Post #3,351 of 5,241
anyone selling a pair?

May 23, 2022 at 12:57 PM Post #3,352 of 5,241
I also woul agree I own both. But will add the Diana V2 is also more travel friendly. It’s what I take on all my trips. Using them with the Chord Mojo 2/Poly combo with the Cayin C9.
Agree, the more simple design of Diana make her more durable for travel (not to mention thicker metal material as well).

May 23, 2022 at 5:01 PM Post #3,353 of 5,241
I'm driving my H20 and Arya SEs with an admittedly less capable (and prolly less "hot" in the treble) SMSL SU-9 DAC. It's neutral and revealing but not sterile/bright/harsh in the high trebles. I've also upgraded the opamps in the H20 with Sparkos Labs SS-3602 opamps. These mods have given the chain an overall less bright/harsh, less "digital" presentation and more of an "analog" type of sound that takes the harshest edges off of the Arya and gives it excellent bass depth and dynamics. I wonder how the HEKSE would fare with this "analog" sounding chain compared to the Arya SEs? Thoughts? P.S., I hadn't really thought of the Diana V2s as an option - how are they compared to the HEKSEs? Thanks in advance....
My H20 is also configured with the SparkOS upgrade as well. Sorry, I failed to mention that, but it is still pretty bright in the treble with the HEKSE. This is more due to the character of the HEKSE, though. There is just a lot of detail forced at you in the highs with these headphones. It’s not harsh, but very clinical.

@TheMiddleSky did a great job in explaining the differences between the Diana v2 and HEKSE. Pretty spot on with his assessment.

Last edited:
May 25, 2022 at 5:00 PM Post #3,354 of 5,241
My H20 is also configured with the SparkOS upgrade as well. Sorry, I failed to mention that, but it is still pretty bright in the treble with the HEKSE. This is more due to the character of the HEKSE, though. There is just a lot of detail forced at you in the highs with these headphones. It’s not harsh, but very clinical.

@TheMiddleSky did a great job in explaining the differences between the Diana v2 and HEKSE. Pretty spot on with his assessment.
If your Sparkos are new, keep in mind that they take a while for them to play in and smooth out. When mine were new, they were a li'l bright in the treble but they calmed down substantially after a couple months. Now they're quite holographic with revealing but much smoother treble - I call them my "high quality analog" opamps.

Jun 19, 2022 at 4:49 AM Post #3,357 of 5,241
Would the fiio k9pro pair well with this?
I would say yes. The HEKse’s, unlike the Susvara’s, aren’t amp picky. They sound great on just about anything.

Jun 19, 2022 at 9:47 AM Post #3,358 of 5,241
They are not picky at all. I used to enjoy them out of kann cube as well as being great straight out of ipad (and iPhone with dongle)

Jun 27, 2022 at 9:20 PM Post #3,359 of 5,241
I love the sense of bass coming from surround rather than Left n Right channel. does the HEKSE share that ? or is it more similar to traditional headphones such as the he6se ..

Jun 28, 2022 at 10:24 AM Post #3,360 of 5,241

K9 Pro ESS basically is M17, with a little less power. Character wise, K9 Pro ESS also similar to M17, but deliver fuller midrange and bass. I think due to difference in power supply system.

Yes, for the price, I can't think anything better to drive HE1000 SE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back