Hifiman HE1000-SE
Aug 18, 2020 at 5:23 PM Post #1,906 of 5,211
I started a free trial of audirvana for tidal and I'm surprised at the difference it makes. The same songs that I thought had harsh/sibilant treble on the stock player now sound smoothed out. I removed my EQ profile for the SE as it's no longer needed. Is this because tidal alters the sound in some way with dsp? I also notice that the soundstage is moved forward. Previously it sounded like the instruments were coming from behind my head now it sounds like they in front of my head. Sorry if I come off as a quack but i'm curious if anyone has similar experiences switching to a 3rd party player like roon/audirvana, etc. I guess windows sound mixer really is trash.
Your names got me weak

Aug 18, 2020 at 6:50 PM Post #1,907 of 5,211
It's not the first or second time I see someone describing Tidal as smooth. So yeah it makes sense.

I did some research and someone on reddit found that tidal alters the sound when using exclusive mode. As for the soundstage changing I think it might the invert polarity settings in audirvana. I have no idea what I talking about of course so i'll shut up and enjoy the SE :)

Aug 22, 2020 at 9:11 AM Post #1,908 of 5,211
Yes, that is the plan. I sold my SR-007 MkII (since I listen more to the SR-009) and selling the HE1000se to fund the Susvara.

I am also contemplating selling my PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium HP to try to fund a WA-33.
I would like the Elite Version but I don’t think I can swing that one due to it’s price.
Curious to know in your opinion how big is the gap between the SE and Susvara in terms of sonic difference?

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2020 at 9:56 AM Post #1,909 of 5,211
for those considering the susvara v hekse (or upgrading from the hekse), like myself, I demoed the susvara again the other day.
This time with my own amps - the v280 (** only single ended) and auralic taurus.
here's a few notes re what i found - IMHO - FWIW.
You will find some of these views to go coincide with other members and /or reviewers thought

The susvaras are extremely transparent - the most transparent hp i have ever heard and i have demoed a lot of top end hps and owned a few too - yes not all, but quite a few. I fond the transparency and overall balance in its presentation faultless. Whatever i am hearing, ie is present is faultless.
But wth my humble gear there is something missing - the bottom end.......well, at least it is for what i would consider as exceptional bottom end.....not heavy or thumpy but i would want present

on the taurus single ended, my usual listening level would probably be at about 2pm on the volume knob with these susvaras.
Even though i would rarely go this loud and i did find that i could go to about 4pm if i really wanted to listen to this quite loud, ie bearably very loud (but not quite painfully loud in the short term)..that's for some of you younger punks out there :)

Let me also add that with the taurus with 60 ohm hps, like the suvara, the standard mode and the balanced mode of the map produce around the same power according to their specs..if my understanding is correct.
their specs show: standard mode at 32 ohm = 4.5w, at 120 ohm = 1.2W; balanced mode 32 ohm = 1.2W and 120 ohm = 4.5W
http://www.auralic.com/download/TAURUSMKII_USERSGUIDE_R1.pdf

so my conclusion is the susvara needs more power

Now re my v280 has a max output of 5.3W at 100 ohm and 3.1W at 50 ohm.
Now here i am confident that sound was compromised with this amp as i only used this single ended.
So please take my views here with that understanding that I did not get a full indication of what this amp can do
** please let me know how you find this if using this amp with a balanced cable, particularly if you compare to a single ended connection **
Would I only have been utilising half the power, ie about 2w???

Now what i found with this setup, at maximum pre gain that the v280 allows is again, everything was faultless except the bottom end magic was not there. It, for me, was the only, and very crucial, drawback of this setup. So there woud be no way I would enjoy listening to rock using this hp/amp.

In fact, the hekse has exceptional and magic bottom end as it is so easy to drive. Everything else the susvara easily wins.

But what i have learnt from this recent demo (my 3rd) is DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER REQUIREMENTS OF THE SUSVARA. Yes, that is not breaking news. But if you do not have an amp, or do not want to consider buying an amp, that is likely to offer enough (ie heaps) power, then do not bother looking at the susvaras.

If you don't mind the hekse having more top end energy than the susvaras, then the hekse are fantastic how they CAN BE DRIVEN SO WELL OUT OF (ALMOST) ANYTHING. And their bottom end, for my references is a joy to their tightness

Hope that helps

*** and as metioned above of anyone can shed light on the susvaras with the v280 or v281, single ended v balanced then PLEASE DO before i look more into the lcd 4, and turn my back on the ideas of buying a susvaras in the near future

Cheers

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2020 at 11:18 AM Post #1,910 of 5,211
The reason I haven't upgraded to the susvara is because I don't want to dive into the amp rabbit hole. I like being able to power my SE off my phone or a $100 amp if I need to. I'm hoping the HE-R10 lives up to its potential of being an easy to drive closed-back susvara. I'm willing to trade soundstage for improved bass and natural timbre. It could make a decent side grade to the SE if so.

Aug 22, 2020 at 11:25 AM Post #1,911 of 5,211
for those considering the susvara v hekse (or upgrading from the hekse), like myself, I demoed the susvara again the other day.
This time with my own amps - the v280 (** only single ended) and auralic taurus.
You will find some of these views to go coincide with other members and /or reviewers thought

The susvaras are extremely transparent - the most transparent hp i have ever heard and i have demoed a lot of top end hps and owned a few too - yes not all, but quite a few. I fond the transparency and overall balance in its presentation faultless. Whatever i am hearing, ie is present is faultless.
But wth my humble gear there is something missing - the bottom end.......well, at least it is for what i would consider as exceptional bottom end.....not heavy or thumpy but i would want present

on the taurus single ended, my usual listening level would probably be at about 2pm on the volume knob with these susvaras.
Even though i would rarely go this loud and i did find that i could go to about 4pm if i really wanted to listen to this quite loud, ie bearably very loud (but not quite painfully loud in the short term)..that's for some of you younger punks out there :)

Let me also add that with the taurus with 60 ohm hps, like the suvara, the standard mode and the balanced mode of the map produce around the same power according to their specs..if my understanding is correct.
their specs show: standard mode at 32 ohm = 4.5w, at 120 ohm = 1.2W; balanced mode 32 ohm = 1.2W and 120 ohm = 4.5W

Now here i am confident that sound was compromised with this amp as i only used this single ended.
So please take my views here with that understanding that I did not get a full indication of what this amp can do
** please let me know how you find this if using this amp with a balanced cable, particularly if you compare to a single ended connection **

Now what i found with this setup, at maximum pre gain that the v280 allows is again, everything was faultless except the bottom end magic was not there. It, for me, was the only, and very crucial, drawback of this setup. So there woud be no way I would enjoy listening to rock using this hp/amp.

In fact, the hekse has exceptional and magic bottom end as it is so easy to drive. Everything else the susvara easily wins.

But what i have learnt from this recent demo (my 3rd) is DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER REQUIREMENTS OF THE SUSVARA. Yes, that is not breaking news. But if you do not have an amp, or do not want to consider buying an amp, that is likely to offer enough (ie heaps) power, then do not bother looking at the susvaras.

If you don't mind the hekse having more top end energy than the susvaras, then the hekse are fantastic how they CAN BE DRIVEN SO WELL OUT OF (ALMOST) ANYTHING. And their bottom end, for my references is a joy to their tightness

Hope that helps

*** and as metioned above of anyone can shed light on the susvaras with the v280 or v281, single ended v balanced then PLEASE DO before i look more into the lcd 4, and turn my back on the ideas of buying a susvaras in the near future

Cheers

What was the DAC you used? I think this level of set up is transparent enough to take DAC sound to serious consideration to calculate synergy.

I don't think power requirement is the only problem, the sound character is definitely need to think about too. For example, I don't like how Wells Audio Milo vishay (pair with DCS Bartok) to drive Susvara. Power wise defintiely more than enough, but sound itself is thin.

Hugo TT2 with Liquid Gold produce much better sound synergy with smaller budget.

Aug 22, 2020 at 2:10 PM Post #1,912 of 5,211

Hope that helps

Cheers
Good observations because the HEKse do have a wonderful low end. The sub bass region is very good and tastefully elevated and integrated with the rest of the frequency spectrum. Not only are they much easier to drive than the Susvara’s, they give you enough of the Susvara’s sound that it could be enough to sway some people.

With that said, a properly driven Susvara best them. The Susvara’s have a warmer tone, goes just as deep with better instrument separation, imaging, depth and air. They are a marvel and a joy to listen too. The HEKse’s are a very good alternative to them if you can’t get a set of Susvara’s.

Aug 23, 2020 at 11:37 AM Post #1,913 of 5,211
I just sent me HEK V2 into for upgrade to the SE. They told me they would have to hold on to the box for 5 days before opening it because of covid precautions. I guess that's just as well...gives me time to get my Norne S3 reterminated from 2.5mm to 3.5mm.

I can't say I was dissatisfied with my V2 at all, it was a nice to alongside LCD-4 and VO. Found them incredibly transparent, detailed, and thoroughly enjoyable, but you know how this hobby goes...just wanted to try something new (for me).

Seems like the SE is the gateway drug to Susvara which admittedly what I had in mind already, but figured it wouldn't hurt to try the SE too. :)

Aug 23, 2020 at 12:00 PM Post #1,914 of 5,211
A little Susvara vs. HE1000SE from my recent audition.

They're both stunning headphones IMO. Susvara the best build quality of any Hifiman, with HE1000SE close behind. Trumps Arya easily here. Susvara has best comfort (even over HD800S).

HE1000SE to me sounds more aligned to Utopia (which I own), and the Susvara to Empyrean (which I own). You could replace either along that path and be happy.

6E853806-407B-4D78-A609-F7F1DF57704F.jpeg

Aug 23, 2020 at 12:00 PM Post #1,915 of 5,211
I just sent me HEK V2 into for upgrade to the SE. They told me they would have to hold on to the box for 5 days before opening it because of covid precautions. I guess that's just as well...gives me time to get my Norne S3 reterminated from 2.5mm to 3.5mm.

I can't say I was dissatisfied with my V2 at all, it was a nice to alongside LCD-4 and VO. Found them incredibly transparent, detailed, and thoroughly enjoyable, but you know how this hobby goes...just wanted to try something new (for me).

Seems like the SE is the gateway drug to Susvara which admittedly what I had in mind already, but figured it wouldn't hurt to try the SE too. :)
One of my earlier steps into this hobby which was one f the steps to finding headfi was the athm50x

The athm50x is the gateway to EVERYTHING here including the hekse and utopia in my case.
In fact all i was looking for was new ear tip/cushions for my koss plugs when i found headfi - that's 100% serious
$20,000 later (over about 10 years) here I am.

Aug 23, 2020 at 12:02 PM Post #1,916 of 5,211

I had to send my headphones back about two weeks ago because the right side went DOA, and they told me the same thing regarding a five day wait. They did send out the replacement and I'm breaking them in now. I also had the V2s and went with the upgrade program to the SEs and I'm a happy camper. to my ears the SEs are way more efficient and need less power to drive them.

Aug 23, 2020 at 12:28 PM Post #1,917 of 5,211
One of my earlier steps into this hobby which was one f the steps to finding headfi was the athm50x

The athm50x is the gateway to EVERYTHING here including the hekse and utopia in my case.

Haha, yes, that's so true about the ATHM50x...was also my original gateway to the churn (had happily been using HD650 for 10 years..can't say I liked the ATHM50 though) in this hobby and finding headfi.

Aug 23, 2020 at 1:09 PM Post #1,918 of 5,211

In fact all i was looking for was new ear tip/cushions for my koss plugs when i found headfi - that's 100% serious
$20,000 later (over about 10 years) here I am.

ATH-M50 for me :)

Aug 31, 2020 at 11:56 PM Post #1,919 of 5,211
I received my HEK SE upgrade last week. Even with the stock cable (waiting for my retermination from Norne on my S3 silvergarde), many of the positive traits are present...musical, resolving capability/potential, performance at each end of the frequency range. As much as I'm enjoying it, I know there's quite a bit of detail I'm missing with the stock cable...it's kinda like vaseline on the lens that softens things up and nothing is offensive, but things sound glossed over and I know I'm missing out on some of the detail/resoluition that I knew I had even with the V2 and the Norne S3. I can tell I lose a lot of the atmosphere and hearing into the music as I would otherwise, but it seems like the potential is very clearly there. In any case, it was well worth the upgrade for me to trade in a previously owned HEK V2 for a new SE. Though, I'm trying to hold off on buying a Susvara since knowing how great these are, I'm extrapolating to expect that much more I expect from the Susvaras and I have a bad tendency to buy too many headphones too fast and then I just don't enjoy each one for what it is as much as I should. This is a really nice HP that I could otherwise live with for a long time.

Sep 1, 2020 at 12:03 AM Post #1,920 of 5,211
I received my HEK SE upgrade last week. Even with the stock cable (waiting for my retermination from Norne on my S3 silvergarde), many of the positive traits are present...musical, resolving capability/potential, performance at each end of the frequency range. As much as I'm enjoying it, I know there's quite a bit of detail I'm missing with the stock cable...it's kinda like vaseline on the lens that softens things up and nothing is offensive, but things sound glossed over and I know I'm missing out on some of the detail/resoluition that I knew I had even with the V2 and the Norne S3. I can tell I lose a lot of the atmosphere and hearing into the music as I would otherwise, but it seems like the potential is very clearly there. In any case, it was well worth the upgrade for me to trade in a previously owned HEK V2 for a new SE. Though, I'm trying to hold off on buying a Susvara since knowing how great these are, I'm extrapolating to expect that much more I expect from the Susvaras and I have a bad tendency to buy too many headphones too fast and then I just don't enjoy each one for what it is as much as I should. This is a really nice HP that I could otherwise live with for a long time.
I buy headphones to fast I bought the HEkse, Empyrean, and TH909 all same week then added lCD 4 not too much longer. The HEkse is all you need I had the Susvara but like the HEkse enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back