Hifiman HE1000-SE
Mar 14, 2019 at 2:35 PM Post #752 of 5,215
That's just how customs things are. He chooses his woods, then makes cups out of them. Pricing on the woods can vary depending on rarity and availability. I have seen some crazy beautiful ones.

There aren't 6000 revisions on 5XX lines, mate. And they were priced similarly. I think usually the new model was meant to replace the older one. Anyway, I know you just wanted to show Hifiman isn't the only one who does it. So, I get it :)

Franz, I get it if you don't mind the upgrade. But do you really feel hifiman is like Merc or BMW?

Of course not mate. I just wanted to point out that it does not make sense to say that I paid $3000 for an IPhone XS as I bought IPhone 4,5,6,7.

Mar 14, 2019 at 3:00 PM Post #753 of 5,215
When you step back you will see they are tweaking this particular pair of headphones to increase profit. Look out SE owners, you will feel the need to upgrade when the V3 are released in order to not feel left out.

Like my post or not, you better set aside another 1000 dollars to buy the V3 when they come out. Why wouldn’t they? It’s clearly hifimans business model.

Increase profit = good business = capitalism = welcome to America.

This would be a sad sad world if businesses weren’t striving for profit and thus weren’t innovating. Yeah let’s just halt all production of new products so that some people can feel that they have the best thing around. How on the face of the earth does that make any sense??? Man I sure wish I still had my 3rd generation iPhone... Even though it couldn’t do half of what my iPhoneX does and totally reduce my productivity and enjoyment, at least I wouldn’t have had to spend that extra money for the upgrade.

“Not to feel left out”... I hope people aren’t spending beyond their means simply so they don’t feel left out. It’s not like the HEKv2 is trash! Save up some money, wait till HEKse prices fall and voila you get your upgrade at a lesser cost.

The leasing argument is interesting. There is that element I suppose if you commit to always upgrading at the first opportunity, however assuming you pay in full then no it’s not a lease. You’re more than welcome to keep the headphone until your own GAS demons get the best of you lol. Hifiman doesn’t own your headphone, you do.

So let’s end all manufacturing then. You haters sound ridiculous. Is the 2019 Rav 4 not a newer and improved model of the 2018? Is the iPhone XR not an improved version of the 8 or 8 Plus? Doesn’t a modern home with geothermal heating and cooling have superior technology to older heat pumps and furnaces? Doesn’t Nike release a newer and better Air Max every year? Aren’t lithium ion batteries better than the Nickel Metal Hydride we used to use? Isn’t 4G better than 3G? Isn’t the Sony X900F better than the x800F of a few years ago?

For crying out loud every company puts out a newer version as technology improves or newer ideas are formulated. You all are trying to act like Hifiman is evil for allowing an upgrade option. I wish I could just upgrade to a new pair of Air Jordan’s when my old ones wore out instead of having to buy a brand new pair at MSRP every 6 months.

What do you all want? Everyone has to drive only the Ford Model T for the rest of time because newer innovation isn’t allowed?

Great examples!

Maybe we should just ask companies to start innovating on a pro bono basis. I mean, why should they have to make any money, pay their employees etc? That would really motivate people lol.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2019 at 3:18 PM Post #754 of 5,215
For the record, @eee1111 I mean no disrespect by any of my comments and even though I may quote specific people, my thoughts are really in response to the points they’re making and are not a direct attack on them if that makes sense. I hope they’re not taken like that even though I may be rather enthusiastic in my opinion here. I totally acknowledge there are two sides to every argument and I don’t venture to believe I’ll sway anyone. I actually think this is a very interesting business issue to address.

Just wanted to mention all this because it’s too easy for things to get heated around here and I don’t want to derail this great thread! As long as we’re enjoying what’s being played in our ears it’s a good day for all of us :)

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2019 at 3:45 PM Post #755 of 5,215
To those who have got the He1000SE upgrade : when RMA'ing your old V1 or V2 unit back to Hifiman for the upgrade, do you include the old He-1000 case or do you just send the Headphone and cables, without the case?

Mar 14, 2019 at 3:50 PM Post #756 of 5,215
Just the headphones and cables only! Don't send in the case.

Mar 14, 2019 at 3:53 PM Post #757 of 5,215
Once they recieved your hekv2. They usually ship your upgrade the same day and you should get the hekse in 2-3 days. Total time about 1 week for me to send in my headphone and get the hekse

Mar 14, 2019 at 4:45 PM Post #758 of 5,215
Mar 14, 2019 at 6:16 PM Post #759 of 5,215
Their website says that you can keep the earcups

Are the v2 and se earcups the same size/interchangeable?

Mar 14, 2019 at 7:12 PM Post #763 of 5,215
Have people really experienced a shouty nature to the v2 treble? Maybe it's my system that I'm using, but I seriously have never heard of such a smooth treble. This is one of very few headphones that I know I can bump up the volume without any annoyance.

Mar 14, 2019 at 7:21 PM Post #764 of 5,215
Have people really experienced a shouty nature to the v2 treble? Maybe it's my system that I'm using, but I seriously have never heard of such a smooth treble. This is one of very few headphones that I know I can bump up the volume without any annoyance.

It’s definitely there. It’s not Beyerdynamic or Sennheiser 800 bad, but it’s noticeable. The SE treble is much better behaved.

Mar 15, 2019 at 1:37 AM Post #765 of 5,215
After about 50 hours of burn-in, it is starting to sound amazing, at least with well-recorded track. I am listening to Diana Krall's Live in Paris. I have to say I am amazed at a sense of realism I can feel. Songs from the live album were never felt live like this. Stunning articulation...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back