Hifiman HE1000-SE
Jul 6, 2023 at 2:47 PM Post #4,278 of 5,216
This is a very bad idea, don't do it!
Well the current Headphones Stable: Hifiman: Susvaras & HE-1000SE, Dan Clark Audio: Stealth & Expanse, RAAL-Requisite: CA-1A w/ T1-1B, Focal: Utopia 22, Stellia & Bathys, Meze Audio: Liric, Audeze: LCD-4Z & Mobius, Final Audio: D8000 Pro LE, Abyss: Diana V2

So sold off a few of them. But think I can reduce some more.

Jul 6, 2023 at 2:59 PM Post #4,279 of 5,216
Whoa, that is a massive roster!

I worked hard to sell off my stable of cans with a goal to end up with just one at the end (my initial goal was to thin the herd down to just two headphones, that last remaining one being the HEKSE, but just preferred LCD-4z, although HEKSE is outstanding).

For me, there is just too much mental distraction, having lots of headphone options sitting next to the desk, and that detracted from my listening sessions ("hey, I wonder what this track would sound like if I swapped to this headphone"?), but everyone is different.

Jul 6, 2023 at 3:04 PM Post #4,280 of 5,216
Whoa, that is a massive roster!

I worked hard to sell off my stable of cans with a goal to end up with just one at the end (my initial goal was to thin the herd down to just two headphones, that last remaining one being the HEKSE, but just preferred LCD-4z, although HEKSE is outstanding).

For me, there is just too much mental distraction, having lots of headphone options sitting next to the desk, and that detracted from my listening sessions ("hey, I wonder what this track would sound like if I swapped to this headphone"?), but everyone is different.
Tell me about it. You start listening to one then it’s like how would this one sound. But generally it depends on what and where I’m listening too.

I would like to get the collection down to 6.

This wouldn’t include the Bathys. That’s needed for plan and train rides.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2023 at 1:15 AM Post #4,281 of 5,216
Just checked the HFM website and 1000se holding at $1999 for now. Very curious what their thoughts are moving forward. One thing that's obvious -- selling a $3500 headphone for $1999 will push the value/price down for everything under it. It wouldn't be smart to hold this price for long because that would change a lot of dynamics. The other thing I will say, despite the age of these headphones I still feel they are at the top of their game compared to the competition at their regular price point. Nothing has outright dethroned the mighty 1000se and I personally believe they'll go down as one of the greats. For me, I was a 1266 TC guy until I tried the 1000se. Sold the 1266 without a thought. The 1000se to me was better overall, with driveability being a huge selling point

Jul 7, 2023 at 1:19 AM Post #4,282 of 5,216
Along those lines, anyone on the fence about buying a HE1000SE, now is that time! That price is nuts

Jul 7, 2023 at 1:26 AM Post #4,284 of 5,216
I'm assuming that's the case or something like it. Though curious since I thought it was a fathers day sale

Jul 7, 2023 at 2:25 PM Post #4,286 of 5,216
Fathers Day and Summer Sale...
Yeah, it is strange that its listed as $2000USD MSRP on their website also though, not just their store. Usually those prices are listed as the original MSRP, not a sale MSRP. Still, I don't know if they have permanently lowered the MSRP, just thought it was curious.

Screen Shot 2023-07-07 at 11.25.12 AM.png

Jul 7, 2023 at 2:34 PM Post #4,287 of 5,216
Side note... anyone weighed their HE1000se? mine is weighing in at 16oz (453g), headphones only without cable.

Jul 7, 2023 at 2:51 PM Post #4,288 of 5,216
The open box Susvara (3.5mm) is also at a good price, with trade in it can be brought down even more.

https://store.hifiman.com/index.php/susvara-open-box.html

Only I am not sure if my chain has the juice to drive it to its potential, maybe about 80%, but I read peoples comment that Susvara even if not driven to its potential still beats the HekSE / V2 comfortably.

Jul 7, 2023 at 5:15 PM Post #4,290 of 5,216
The open box Susvara (3.5mm) is also at a good price, with trade in it can be brought down even more.

https://store.hifiman.com/index.php/susvara-open-box.html

Only I am not sure if my chain has the juice to drive it to its potential, maybe about 80%, but I read peoples comment that Susvara even if not driven to its potential still beats the HekSE / V2 comfortably.
I didn't have that experience. Originally owned an McIntosh MHA200 and it paired beautifully with the HE1Kse. At 500mW though, it barely tickled the Susvara. It wasn't until I received the Burson Soloist that the gap became clear. A properly powered Arya can beat a criminally underpowered Susvara.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back