Hifiman HE1000-SE
Nov 2, 2022 at 11:40 PM Post #3,481 of 5,382
The Amazon camel has finally arrived at my work with the V2s. I bought them from the Amazon Hifiman store.

V2.jpg

I already own and love the Edition XS so it will be interesting to compare the two.

I also EQ all my headphones to some degree and I enjoy the XS with a slight adjustment to the sub & mid bass and a very small bump in the mids, without going as far as the Harman target. The treble doesn't worry me at all but that is probably due to my diminished hearing range.

The SEs probably would have been ideal as I do EQ but I just didn't want to pay that much.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2022 at 7:46 AM Post #3,482 of 5,382
The Amazon camel has finally arrived at my work with the V2s. I bought them from the Amazon Hifiman store.

V2.jpg

I already own and love the Edition XS so it will be interesting to compare the two.

I also EQ all my headphones to some degree and I enjoy the XS with a slight adjustment to the sub & mid bass and a very small bump in the mids, without going as far as the Harman target. The treble doesn't worry me at all but that is probably due to my diminished hearing range.

The SEs probably would have been ideal as I do EQ but I just didn't want to pay that much.
Let us know what you think! Hifiman themselves fulfill the V2 orders from Amazon so you should feel confident that you got a brand new unit! Not true of the se by the way.

Nov 3, 2022 at 10:15 AM Post #3,483 of 5,382
Let us know what you think! Hifiman themselves fulfill the V2 orders from Amazon so you should feel confident that you got a brand new unit! Not true of the se by the way.
Oh yeah - they are definitely new and not B stock. All the packaging is spot on with the stickers in the right place and the headphones themselves are pristine with no flaws.

Nov 3, 2022 at 11:34 AM Post #3,484 of 5,382
Oh yeah - they are definitely new and not B stock. All the packaging is spot on with the stickers in the right place and the headphones themselves are pristine with no flaws.
I’m actually returning my se’s that came from Sportique (rating of 81%) in favor of a set from Hifi-Heaven, which scores 100% satisfaction scores. The enclosure that came with the se’s was crumpled, the pads were uneven and the cables were crimped—and I’m pretty sure I found a cat hair in the pillows the headphones were resting on. :triportsad:

Nov 3, 2022 at 6:34 PM Post #3,485 of 5,382
I’m actually returning my se’s that came from Sportique (rating of 81%) in favor of a set from Hifi-Heaven, which scores 100% satisfaction scores. The enclosure that came with the se’s was crumpled, the pads were uneven and the cables were crimped—and I’m pretty sure I found a cat hair in the pillows the headphones were resting on. :triportsad:
Ugh!

It's interesting - I think that I potentially saved well over AUD 500 (USD 315) buying the V2s from the Hifiman store on Amazon.com.au. vs buying direct from the Hifiman online store.

Before I purchased I did a comparison between buying from Amazon in AUD and buying direct from Hifiman in USD. The Amazon price was nearly AUD 200 cheaper up front with slower Prime free shipping vs the Hifiman direct price with expedited shipping from China and using the not so good PayPal conversion rate from USD to AUD. I'm pretty sure that I would have been hit with an additional 10% GST once the Hifiman direct delivery hit OZ, although I can't know for certain. My Amazon delivery arrived with no additional charges so I'm pretty happy - although the AUD is currently in the toilet against the USD and it would've been a lot cheaper a few months back.

Nov 3, 2022 at 9:08 PM Post #3,486 of 5,382
I have the Susvara, SE, V2 and Edition XS sitting in front of me now, along with my first insane purchase from a couple of years ago, my Focal Utopias. I’ve gotten tired of their clinical/critical tuning and “intimate” soundstage and I’m looking for something more fun and exciting for a change.

I’m running these on an iFi Pro iCAN Signature amp with 14 watts of balanced power @16 ohms, so I’m not hindered by any sensitivity limitations in that regard. I’ve owned the Edition XS for awhile, but I’ve been auditioning the two HEK versions and the Susvara for a little over a week. Here are my thoughts, for what they’re worth…

My easiest decision was the Susvaras. They’re going back, I don’t even need to give it a second thought. Are they brilliant, awe-inspiring, perfect? I guess I’d have to say yes, they’re probably the best audiophile flagship on the market to this day, although you’d think for $6,000 they could get the build flawless, which it isn’t. The soundstage is stratospheric, they move faster than the laws of physics seem to allow, the imaging and detail retrieval are superb. And the tuning is as impeccably neutral as you’d expect for the discerning snooty audiophile surrounded by stacks of Deutsche Grammophon records. Exactly what I’ve grown used to with my Utopias, although these outdo them in soundstage and bass response.

But I’m looking for some FUN. Is it just me, or do some premium manufacturers seem to think that there are no serious audiophiles who like rock, punk, New Wave, SynthPop or Hip Hop? Those genres are certainly my preference, and I’m left to wonder why my Edition XS’s excite me more than this $6,000 masterpiece of engineering. If I’m going to part ways with that much cash, those headphones better get my heart racing, and the Susvaras just don’t. Not worth it, moving on.

So it’s down to the HE1000se vs the v2. Both of these delight me exponentially more than the Susvaras at first listen. I’m trying not to get biased by their $1,500 difference in price tag, and the fact that the se’s are “newer”. I imagine some folks might consider the se’s an upgrade over the V2 (HiFiMan themselves suggest this based on their upgrade program, based on price, gotcha), but I’m not one of them. I think they each have their plusses and minuses, their strengths and weaknesses. But neither of them misses the mark in a deal-breaker kinda way. I think they both shine for different purposes and tastes.

The only objective difference I can attest to is that the v2 costs $1,999 and the se $3,499. They share similar driver/diaphragms but the se has the Susvara’s “Stealth” magnet tech and the v2 does not. They both look fantastic, depending on which one they ship you from their stock. They both have these ridiculous rubber-bandy cables that make sense to no one ever.

And to me they both sound fantastic! Without question I prefer the oval pads leaps and bounds over the round Susvaras and Sundaras—not only do I find them more comfortable, but I think they significantly widen the listening stage and do wonders for the sub bass frequencies. Both of them rattle my skull pleasingly in ways the Susvara just doesn’t, no matter how precise its bass may be.

But after several lengthy listens from a range of musical genres, I really think I prefer the V2s. I wish I didn’t, because I think the se’s are a tiny bit more resolving and detailed and slightly more refined in their construction and design than the V2s. Perhaps with the Stealth magnet they really did offer a legitimate advance (I for SURE think the se is a better contender for their all-around flagship status than the Susvara, for its versatility alone). And at 96 db they are a tad bit easier to drive than the V2s. But neither are fit for a dongle and I didn’t really notice much difference in power demands. With the Susvaras I sure as hell did—a sensitivity of 83 to me is a design flaw that they should be able to solve.

But the soundstage of the V2 is demonstrably wider than the se. The bass may be a sliver less tight and controlled than the se, but boy is there more of it, and it’s a blast to experience. And I don’t know about the rest of you, but I find the se’s to be just a tad bit shouty in the upper mids and highs in a way that has caused me fatigue that I don’t experience with the V2s. If I kept either one of them I’d probably acquiesce to their sound and be perfectly happy. But when I have them side by side, I’m more drawn to the V2 for its phenomenal soundstage and slam—they’re offering me precisely the kind of fun I’ve been looking for.

So knowing my luck, I’ll probably keep them, and in five weeks HiFiMan will come out with a brand new HE1000V3 that has everything I love about these plus the stealth magnet. That’s what happened with my 2020 Utopia, and if anything seems compelling/reassuring about saving that extra $1,500 instead of succumbing to FOMO and prestige, it’s that.
I own the OG iCan Pro. The power ratings are the same as the Signature versions. I found that it didn't mesh well with Susvara. The resulting sound didn't have enough grunt and scale. The iCan Pro isn't up to a low sensitivity headphone with an impedance of 60 ohms, at least not through the headphone outputs. With the HE 1000V2 and 1000SE, it acquits itself quite well.

Once I went down the Susvara rabbit hole and bought a speaker amp and preamp to power it, I found the Susvara to be much more even-handed in its tonality and more holographic than the HE1000SE. When switching between the two, the persistent treble peaks of the 1000SE tuning are readily apparent.

But now that I've crossed the divide and use digital EQ with all of my headphones, the difference is not as great. It would have certainly been easier and cheaper for me to power the HE1000SE adequately with a warmish headphone amp and some EQ, and have it sound good than reconfigure my whole system as I did to get Susvara sounding its best.

Is Susvara worth going down the rabbit hole? I'll say that I pretty much forget about my other headphones when I'm using the Susvara. But the HE1000SE with some EQ remains my second favorite pair of headphones.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2022 at 9:44 PM Post #3,487 of 5,382
I own the OG iCan Pro. The power ratings are the same as the Signature versions. I found that it didn't mesh well with Susvara. The resulting sound didn't have enough grunt and scale. The iCan Pro isn't up to a low sensitivity headphone with an impedance of 60 ohms, at least not through the headphone outputs. With the HE 1000V2 and 1000SE, it acquits itself quite well.

Once I went down the Susvara rabbit hole and bought a speaker amp and preamp to power it, I found the Susvara to be much more even-handed in its tonality and more holographic than the HE1000SE. When switching between the two, the persistent treble peaks of the 1000SE tuning are readily apparent.

But now that I've crossed the divide and use digital EQ with all of my headphones, the difference is not as great. It would have certainly been easier and cheaper for me to power the HE1000SE adequately with a warmish headphone amp and some EQ, and have it sound good than reconfigure my whole system as I did to get Susvara sounding its best.

Is Susvara worth going down the rabbit hole? I'll say that I pretty much forget about my other headphones when I'm using the Susvara. But the HE1000SE with some EQ remains my second favorite pair of headphones.
Those two will remain in my stable

Nov 4, 2022 at 5:29 AM Post #3,488 of 5,382

I praised the Susvara highly and called them the best flagship on the market. As I mentioned I already own the Utopias and I’m looking for a different kind of headphone—one that is more fun and less critical. The Pro iCAN Signature has all the power and clean headroom I should require for any headphone purposes other than stats or a RAAL—its rated balanced output impedance is <2 ohms which is far short of 1/8th of 60 ohms from the Susvara. I’m not doubting your experience but to invest in a whole new rig to play a set of cans is not what I’m looking for—either iteration of the HEK is right up my alley :)

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2022 at 6:34 AM Post #3,489 of 5,382
I praised the Susvara highly and called them the best flagship on the market. As I mentioned I already own the Utopias and I’m looking for a different kind of headphone—one that is more fun and less critical. The Pro iCAN Signature has all the power and clean headroom I should require for any headphone purposes other than stats or a RAAL. I’m not doubting your experience but to invest in a whole new rig to play a set of cans is not what I’m looking for—either iteration of the HEK is right up my alley :)
Come to think of it, if you can find the LCD-R on the secondary market (should come with a Jotunheim A amp as well), it's also worth looking into.
Another headphone that's rarely recommended, the HEDDphone although fitting might be an issue for some (it was for me and a deal breaker unfortunately as I have a rather odd cranial shape). But I did really love it's sound signature.

Nov 4, 2022 at 7:24 AM Post #3,490 of 5,382
I praised the Susvara highly and called them the best flagship on the market. As I mentioned I already own the Utopias and I’m looking for a different kind of headphone—one that is more fun and less critical. The Pro iCAN Signature has all the power and clean headroom I should require for any headphone purposes other than stats or a RAAL. I’m not doubting your experience but to invest in a whole new rig to play a set of cans is not what I’m looking for—either iteration of the HEK is right up my alley :)
Have you tested Audeze LCD-4? If not at least try them :)

Nov 4, 2022 at 7:25 AM Post #3,491 of 5,382
Have you tested Audeze LCD-4? If not at least try them :)
I haven’t, only the five. Which sounded great! Just too uncomfortably heavy for me for some reason. Is the 4 lighter?

Nov 4, 2022 at 7:27 AM Post #3,492 of 5,382
I haven’t, only the five. Which sounded great! Just too uncomfortably heavy for me for some reason. Is the 4 lighter?
The LCD-4's are a lot heavier in comparison to the LCD-5's

Nov 4, 2022 at 7:57 AM Post #3,494 of 5,382
`Then you need to avoid the HEDDphone lol
Lol…yes I probably should, but I sure appreciate your suggestions! I really think I’m good with the HEKse—I’m loving it. :)

Nov 4, 2022 at 10:28 AM Post #3,495 of 5,382
I…can’t…bear to part ways with either the HEKV2 or the HEKse. It’s an impossible choice. Will someone else make it for me please? Tough love is in order, I’ve got a credit card bill coming up…

:deadhorse:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back